View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dream

City/Region: St. Michaels
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mermaid's Dream
Photos: ~Mermaid's Dream~
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Price Advice Reply with quote

I am looking for advice on pricing my C-Dory ~ Mermaid’s Dream.

Due to my health I can no longer enjoy her and would like to see her go to someone who can.

I purchased her for $19,900 and have since put in several thousands of dollars in repairs and replacement parts and have all the receipts for as well as the additional equipment that I purchased.

I have her listed for $21,500 OBO

Am I in the right ballpark or did I pay too much to begin with and won’t recoup any of the money I put into her?

Any guidance on pricing her that you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dottie

ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy low and sell high. Words to live by.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
Dream

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So....are you saying I paid too much?

Am I asking too much?
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dottie,

I looked at your other post, and the PDF file was empty. Without knowing how the boat is equipped, engine hours, etc, it is hard to say what the value might be. Generally, unless you are putting a new motor on, you won't recoup much on additions made to the boat. Price-wise, without knowing equipment and condition, it doesn't seem out of line. What it really comes down to is: what a buyer is willing to pay, and how fast you want the boat to sell.

If your goal is to find the new boat a home, ASAP, price it as low as you can take. If you are will to sit on it for a while, price accordingly, understanding that you may have to reduce the price if it doesn't sell right away.

Boat owners often have an emotional attachment to their boat, which often figures into the asking price. A buyer won't have that attachment... until he/she buys it.

Good luck with the sale.
Dream

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Details Reply with quote

UGH - I don't know why the PDF is empty - maybe because I used my iPad to attach - so - the equipment is listed below.

There is a cushion for the V berth but the cushions on the dinette benches were ripped when I purchased the boat. I took them off, scraped and painted the wood.

She doesn't have any vinyl as it was also ripped and/or stained - I didn't get a chance to replace it.

The gas tank was leaking, it was replaced with a portable one on the recommendation of the marina where all her service and repairs were done. He said that with a 50HP motor a larger tank isn't necessary unless we put a second motor on or replaced it with a larger one.

There is a VHF radio and antenna that the marina tested and works - we never used it as we've only spent 6 hours on the water and stayed in our local harbor and river.

I'm not sure how many hours are on the engine but the work done on it has made it like new. The previous owner is deceased and his widow didn't know much about the boat. I will look to see if he kept a log of his travels, etc. I do know he was the original owner and only used her in the waters here in and around St. Michaels, MD. The water is fresh to brackish - she has never been in the ocean or the lower part of the Chesapeake Bay where it is saltier.

Please let me know if more info is needed to help determine a fair price.

Thank you for your help!

ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT:
• 1996 Honda 50HP Outboard Engine • 1997 EZ-Loader w/new Tires & Wheels 6/2018 • Morse Steering • Accessory Switch Panel • Compass • Uniden Digital Depth Sounder • 2 Seahawk Marine Starting Batteries (purchased 6/2018) • 6 Gallon Portable Fuel Tank • Bilge Pump • Extra Prop • 2 Anchors & Chains • Anchor Roller • Pilot Seat • “V” Birth Cushion • Mosquito Screen for Hatch • Travel Toilet • Aluminum Rub Rails • Brass Stem Guard • Navigation Light • Anchor Light • Welded SS Bow Rails • Welded SS Handrails • 4 – 8” SS Cleats • 1 - 10” SS Cleat • SS Bow Eye • SS Hinges Throughout • Doorstop • Door Lock • Automatic Cockpit Drain • 2 Manual Windshield Wipers • Ice Box • Fenders • Molded in Accent Stripes • Cockpit Steps • Swim Step & Ladder • Mariner 110 Fire Extinguishers - 2 • Falcon Portable Supersound Signal Horn • Orion Coastal Flare Gun Alert/Locate Signal Kit • Orion Cruiser First Aid Kit • Orion Signal Accessory Kit – USCG Approved 3’X 3’ Distress Flag, Solas Whistle, Signaling Mirror w/Lanyard, High Visibility Green Fluorescein Dye in Waterproof Container w/Lanyard • Orion Safety Whistles - 2 • Type II Life Preservers – 2 • PFD-IV Cushion • Extra (in package) Rule 27S 1100 Automatic Marine Bilge Pump 1100-GPH, 12Volt • Rule iL500 Plus Pump Kit 12-Volt • West Marine 36” Hand Bilge Pump w/72” Hose
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dottie,
I think you have your answer on the other post--you have an interested buyer who is close by! Could not be any better than that!

I would say the boat is priced "fairly". It is a blank canvas for someone. The 50 hp outboard, puts it mostly in the low speed category, or very light load. Someone may wish to add a second 50, put in bigger fuel tanks, etc. It also allows someone to put in their own upholstery. It appears that you did a very nice paint job, and the boat looks better than most of that vintage, with the darker surface. I had a 1993 boat, and it has been heavily used since I sold it. It is now on its 3rd engine since new--and I know all of the subsequent owners--the boat has been trouble free--as yours should be.

Generally boats on the East Coast and gulf Coast sell slower than in the PNW--but the boat is very well suited for your area.

Be willing to be flexible. The buyer will want newer trailer tires before traveling--we don't know what year the current tires are--but should be less than 6 years old. (by date on tire, not when purchased).

Take care

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
sebastien

City/Region: philadelphia
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: kittiwake
Photos: Kittiwake
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the kind advice C-dory community.
I think this potential buyer AND seller can use it!

curioustraveler

City/Region: Annapolis
Photos: Curioustraveler
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning Dream,

I am curious if you ever priced out the replacement costs for the dinette cushions and the fuel tank?

When you said she doesn't have any Vinyl, are you talking about a Bimini canvas?

Thanks,
Josh
Dream

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Curious,

No - I didn't price out new cushions or the gas tank/tanks.

I was going to make new cushions for the seats and reupholster the rest of the cushions to match but never did as I realized we were not going to sleep on her and when I decided to sell her I figured the next owner - if they want cushions - can have ones made in the fabric of their choosing. BTW - it was only the actual seat cushions that I took off - the cushions for backrests are still good. We used them in the v-berth as throw pillows to lean on or against when reading, etc. The snaps for them are still attached and you can still snap them in place in the dinette.

I was going to get new tank/tanks installed if and when I upgraded the motor.

As for the vinyl - the only vinyl that came with her was the privacy curtain which was beyond saving.

The previous owner's wife did make fabric curtains with tiebacks for the windows and door in the cabin - which I cleaned and saved. They were put up with Velcro that I removed when I did a deep clean of the interior - I basically removed everything that I could and scrubbed until the interior was it's original color. When I bought her I thought the interior was gray - it wasn't - it just hadn't been cleaned - for a number of years. I will post pictures of the "before" so you can see what I mean.

NOTE: Please don't think the previous owner didn't care about the boat - he did - unfortunately when his cancer got worse he was unable to use her, etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Keep cool,
Dottie
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Pricing Reply with quote

All I can say after looking at the photos in your album is that you have a really clean beautiful boat. If I were looking for one, I would be interested. The only drawback is the 50hp motor.

Pricing? I have no idea. Like others said, whatever the buyer is willing to pay. But that is a pretty boat. Seeing how a new 22 is about $72,000, I think you are definitely in the ballpark.

John
Swee Pea
Dream

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: