The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

CD22 Cruiser cabin door sliding window and screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: CD22 Cruiser cabin door sliding window and screen Reply with quote

I have a 2007 CD22 Cruiser, and would love to install a sliding window and screen on the cabin door.

I've searched through the forums, and am coming up empty on topics that have covered this project.

I understand that Diamond/SeaGlaze makes the windows. I looked through their excellent schematics, measured my windows, and see their are various possibilities.

Before I call SeaGlaze, I was wondering which window/screen model everyone else has used to replace their cabin door window with a slider/screen?

Why am I doing this? I troll a lot for salmonids on Lake Michigan, and can't hear the fishing reels screaming when a fish strikes with the cabin door shut. No problem when the door is open; but, unfortunately, I can't keep the cabin door open the majority of the time because huge numbers of nasty biting flies invade the cabin (the lake is infested with them all the time except at night).

Thanks to all who can help.

D

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
texasair

City/Region: Cypress, Texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Bixby's Cub
Photos: Bixbys Cub
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i installed an aluminum vertical sliding window from a mobile home supply house in my 1989 22'. Bixby's Cub Album photo #13
It was a bit larger than the factory window so i made the cut out just a little larger to fit the new window. It came with a screen and since it was intended for use in a door it was made with safety glass. Cost was $50. Not as marine looking as a Diamond seaglaze, but has done the job for 10 years.
There is also a counterpart to Diamond seaglaze in the Pacific NW that is a bit less expensive, but still marine expensive. I bought a front opening window from them and the quality was comparable to Diamond seaglaze, a bit cheaper and no import hassles. Motionwindows.com They should have a marine grade opening window but it will be many $100's of dollars

Tex
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down you 2007 boat have the glass or Starboard door?

I have had the opening window on both the plywood (Decaboard) door of a 1993 and the Starboard door of a 2006 boat. My 2007 C Dory 25 has the glass door--I believe some of the 22's had that....

Perhaps the best way to have the screen and ventilation is to leave the door open, and then have a screen which covers the entire opening--that is what I currently have on the 25. It is some heavy netting--similar to what is used in the "windows" of the camper back. Magnets hold it in place. I also have a "Shade screen" on my RV, which is held in place with magnets. You can buy them very inexpensively, on Amazon. On my 25, the magnets were epoxied onto aluminum tabs, which were screwed to the door frame. Also magnets were sewn (Could be put in place with Hot glue) You brush the door open--and it snaps back closed as the magnets win near each other.

I have seen on the boats, and have on the door of my RV and pleated accordion screen door, which recesses on one side, and pulls on a track, and catches on the other side (I believe that the catch is magnetic)

I have also made screens for hatches and opening forward window of 'no see em net"--Army surplus. You can get a whole large tent cover which will make all of the screens for doors and hatches for a C Dory 22 for about $10. I used hot glue to velcro, on the insect screen, and contact cement to velcro on the fiberglass and frames.

Orvis has a screen at To give you an idea.

This site has a number of accordion pleated retracting screen doors...

Peninsula Glass Has a number of sliding vertical windows. It is in Vancouver WA, and is probably the one Tex was referring to.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous guidance.

Huge thanks to all.

Never thought about just buying an RV window and installing in place of the original window. I have quite a bit of construction skills. I'm sure I could take care of installing a new window.
Snider

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Kestrel Dawn
Photos: Kestrel Dawn
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Advantec Reply with quote

Here's the window from Advantec. We didn't go forward because for the price ($1,000), we figured we'd rather have the full door screen for ventilation. I still would like the window, but pushed it back to the bottom of the upgrade list.

https://www.diamondseaglaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/D15HD.pdf

It's the D15HD

https://www.diamondseaglaze.com/products/recreational-marine/recreational-marine-windows/

Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I made a group order from Diamond Sea Glaze for a replacement window/screen for the door on a 22’. I think six pre sold. Exact fit/easy install. Pictures in Swee Pea album.

John
Snider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Window Reply with quote

Thanks John. I emailed the sales department since I haven’t heard from my contact. I asked about a group discount.
Snider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Window Reply with quote

Thanks John. I emailed the sales department since I haven’t heard from my contact. I asked about a group discount.
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Window Reply with quote

Don’t know if it was a group discount but helped with shipping costs. Was an easy transaction. Good luck. Was well worth it.

John
Snider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Done Reply with quote

I pulled the trigger and ordered the sliding door window with the screen. If anyone is interested you should get a little discount by mentioning my order number and name.

Order # 20335
Brandon Snider

Eddie Weber is the contact at Advantec in Canada. Spoke to him this am, very nice guy. His office number is 1-604-607-0091 ext 3926. His email is eddie.weber@advantecglobal.com

It was just under $1,000, he did mention price has gone up since my quote last year, but discounted the current price. Hopefully he'll do the same for you. He has all of the measurements from my boat. The window I ordered was D15HD 17.25 W x 25.23 H with 3" radius corners in white gloss. The door is ¾" thick.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: