auto pilot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Nousaine

City/Region: SUPERIOR
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: pulled the pin
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: auto pilot Reply with quote

want an auto pilot for my 02 22'. set up is a 100 yamaha and a 9.9 yamaha kicker I use for trolling.

one issue is I would like to use the auto pilot when trolling BUT the kicker is independent and hooks to the 100 via a rod. so I dont want to have the 100 "on" to steer when trolling the kicker. Might not be solvable by in my mind.

even if I cant fix that i still want an auto pilot and I have lowrance electronics and won't be switching.

cable steering

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having a cheap RayMarine unit that didn't work, I went with Garmin's Reactor series with the smart pump. The thing can even drive you backwards smoothly on course. No problem trolling with it. I also have a kicker. You will have to eventually recharge your battery running on autopilot without any battery charging. (My 6hp kicker does not have an alternator or generator). But you can go some time before needing to recharge. C-Otter put the same autopilot on his 25 (before I did) and he has been very happy with it also. BTW, my autopilot is connected to the main steering hydraulics. The kicker works just fine with the tie bar to the main, as the autopilot turns the main. And in calm waters, you can just use the main as a rudder and bypass the tie bar. Colby
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, just saw you have cable steering. Ignore everything I said, unless you are willing to add hydraulic steering... Rolling Eyes Colby
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would change to hydraulic steering and add an autopilot with a hydraulic pump. Cable steering autopilots are a bit of a mechanical kludge IMO.

A Baystar hydraulic kit is less than $600.

David
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several ways to go: One would be to buy the TR 1 Garmin which works on the trolling motor only. You would trim the main outboard up out of the water. This will be independent of your Lowrance MDF.

Lowrance makes a cable steering drive pack, for their pilot. (List price $2,000) You would leave main drive outboard down, acting like a rudder, plus the steering link to the trolling outboard in place. However, I am not certain on how well the Lowrance with this drive configuration follows various trolling patterns. Should work OK for the straight line trolling. This would probably be the cheapest way to go. The literature here.

The other option is to change to hydraulic steering, and if you want to stay with the Navico line of products, go with the Lowrance Auto pilot, using the hydraulic drive. I am not sure this would give you any greater ability than just the cable steering drive.--again, there are other brand auto pilots which have more versatility with the trolling patterns.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our kicker is on a rod, hooked up to our main. Autopilot works for both, but is mounted on the main's hydraulics and adjusts for both, it's a Lowrance Autopilot. It works great, but have only used it for fishing when setting up or landing a 30 lber.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: