The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Thoughts on ordering a new C-Dory
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foulhooked

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on ordering a new C-Dory Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,
I am fairly new to this site but have been anonymously stalking around for the last couple months. So much great C-Dory information to be had!
I have alway been a fan of C-Dory’s and finally ready to purchase one. I am restricted to one of the 16’ models due to storage limitations and would prefer the cruiser model. There seems to be an extremely small used market for the 16 footers so I am considering buying new. After casually talking to Master Marine in Washington state, it appears a new 16’ cruiser would cost just under 50k after options, trailer and power package. This seems pretty steep but the prices can be negotiated. Does anyone have experience buying and negotiating a new C-Dory price? I know the C-Dory’s are often marked down at boat shows, specifically the January Seattle boat show. Maybe it would be worth it to wait until then.... or ask for a boat show price now. I’m not a huge fan of haggling prices. What is a fair price for a new 16’ cruiser in your opinion?
Thank you so much for any guidance, advice or sharing your experience in regards to this.

*** Mods if this topic is better suited in a different section please let me know or feel free to move it.

Thanks in advance
Aaron
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should think that if you're willing to wait, study, and look around a bit, you should be able to get an excellent CD-16 for under $20K, perhaps as low as $15K.

Slow down, be careful, think clearly, and don't let the "Hot to Buy Bug" get you into a $30k-$35k hole you'd later wish you'd considered more carefully. Smile

JMHO, but I'm seeing some folks with the "Hot to Buy Bug" on this site that would make a boat dealer/salesperson go into a cold sweat! Laughing

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron, the C-Dory 16 Cruiser is a great boat. We bought a new C-Dory in 2017 from Sportcraft Marina in Portland. We toured the factory where it was built before we made the final decision to purchase new. We worked together with the factory in Fairhaven, Wa. and Sportcraft as the boat was being made to make sure things were coming together well in the construction which it did.

As far as price goes on a new boat purchase, just be honest with the sales person in the same way you describe your feelings to us here on the purchase price. Tell them you would like to buy new but that the prices are too high. They will come down on their asking price because they want to sell you a boat. Just remember, they are also in business to make a profit so there is give and take on both sides.

There is a Bellingham C-Brats get together/gathering in Bellingham, Wa. on August, 16th through the 18th. You really should come to this event if you are considering buying a C-Dory to get more first hand information on a C-Dory from people who really know these boats. They also have a C-Dory tour scheduled at the factory in Fairhaven, Wa. during this event which would be beneficial for you to see. Just go the Event Signups tab on the top of the C-Dory home page to signup if you wish to attend. You will have a good time at this event and get to meet some really nice people there.

Gary.
Foulhooked

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your input. It’s a big decision and looks like both agree that the more info I can get prior to any decision is the way to go.
Thanks again
Aaron
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My neighbor bought a used 16' C-Dory in great shape plus a trailer. for 5k Cad. (The lady's husband had died and she wanted it gone). The outboard was older.
He had a junker fishing tub with a newer 40hp Yami on it in his garage.
He switched the outboards over and sold his junker boat with the old outboard on for...........yes you guessed it, 5k.
So he ended up with a fully loaded 16' C-Dory with a newer engine on a trailer for free.
My message is, I would never buy a brand new boat, get a good used one. They are out there. Just be patient and hunt them down.
Martin.
WeekiTiki

City/Region: Weeki Wachee
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Just Cruisin'
Photos: WeekiTiki
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pound for pound these have got to be the most expensive boats there are
WeekiTiki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but that little sixteen is one special little vessel

Hope to try one out some day

Sixteen foot pilot house, way cool

Very Happy
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There seems to be an extremely small used market for the 16 footers so I am considering buying new.

I see 16's come up for sale all of the time. Recently a 19 sold in the low teens. Remember that a boat may not be near where you are--but it can always be transported. I have purchased all of my C Dorys at least 1000 miles from my home (exception was the Tom Cat, when there were none used for sale, and I wanted some very specific features.

When buying a boat consider what the marketability of that boat will be when you go to sell it.

Have you ever ridden in a c Dory 16?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...the 16’ models due to storage limitations and would prefer the cruiser model...

correct me if I'm wrong...Isn't there only one layout on a 16'? Two seats in a tiny cabin. They are all the same.

Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WeekiTiki wrote:

We paid $110,000 for a 3 year old Ranger Tug 25SC in 2015, a really nice CD 25 can be had for a bit more than half as much with less weight to tow and half of the maintenance headaches. We bought our 2003 CD 25 for a price that alowed every system on the boat to be repaced with new for about $ 100,000 less than a new Ranger 25 or Ranger Cutwater 26. We are now very happy with our virtually new (some of ours we think better than new) CD 25!
Also the projects we all seem to do to modify and upgrade our C-dorys is fun!

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WeekiTiki wrote:

That's funny! We ended up with our first c-dory because it was the least expensive of all the boats we were interested in. We liked Skagit Orcas, SeaSports and extended cabin Parkers at the time.

Have you looked at the price of other high quality boats? Im not talking about Makos and Bayliners, but used and new prices on something like a Contender, or a Regulator, or a Seasport? Those prices are absurd.

Our 22 cruiser does a lot, for what little we paid for it. I think its the best deal out there IMO.

DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never purchased a new C-Dory but have sold large boats as a dealer and have purchased a few new ones myself.

You can almost always negotiate a 10% reduction off of list, maybe more if the boat has been sitting on the dealer's lot for a while.

I would start with 15% and go from there. The problem may be finding the list price. Some boat manufacturer's do not publish list prices in order to make it harder for buyers to know where to negotiate.

David
Foulhooked

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much everyone for weighing in and sharing your thoughts. I think all this info gives me a plan of attack. Patience is key too!!!
Thanks again,
Aaron

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:

(Some clipped)
Our 22 cruiser does a lot, for what little we paid for it. I think its the best deal out there IMO.

That's not only true, but the CD-22 (and other CD's) are one of the best investments in return dollars down the road I've ever seen after owning boats all my adult life and a C-Dory for 21 years!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
WeekiTiki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
WeekiTiki wrote:

That's funny! We ended up with our first c-dory because it was the least expensive of all the boats we were interested in. We liked Skagit Orcas, SeaSports and extended cabin Parkers at the time.

Have you looked at the price of other high quality boats? Im not talking about Makos and Bayliners, but used and new prices on something like a Contender, or a Regulator, or a Seasport? Those prices are absurd.

No doubt Paul

I haven't priced new boats in a while

Nothing to have $100K in even a nice used open fishermen of any size

Not owning on the water anymore, we just don't go boating all that much

Maybe this little used boat we're getting will put us back out there

Our camp in Weeki is close to multiple ramps

Still like that little 16 for someone with a small tow vehicle

C-dory has its own niche established for sure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: