View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pandion

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Round trip to Glacier Bay Reply with quote

Fellow Brats, I am taking my boat, Osprey, to Glacier Bay (and hopefully back), from the Seattle area. I’ve been on the water now since May 31, and have logged 652.6 NM. Hoping to be in Prince Rupert Tuesday, and in Ketchikan by the 13th—Dixon Entrance conditions permitting.

You can see an online account of Osprey’s travels here:

http://osprey-alaska.org/

On those fairly rare occasions that I’m able to get Internet access, I will be updating the website, and will try to link back to it from this site as well.

I’m in Hartley Bay now, waiting for the gas pumps to open, and it’s been raining steady for two days. But man, it’s pretty up here.

Thanks to all the Brats, so many of you, who have helped me prepare for this voyage over the past several months.

Andy

Andy Ryan

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy. Blue Days and I are currently in Petersburg. Plan is to spend the next two nights anchored in Ideal Cove, and to do LeConte Bay tomorrow. After that, we may try to head towards Juneau, or over to Kake. All depends on the weather, and the mood. lol. Last year in June when I was in Desolation Sound and the Broughtons, it seemed early in the season with very few boats. However, we've already found spaces filling up in the Marinas in places like Ketchikan, Myers Chuck, Petersburg. There are spaces, but not necessarily with power & water, or with two together. We got into Wrangle the other day, and by early afternoon, the last spot was taken in the main harbor.
Anyway, maybe we'll see you sometime while up here. I have my AIS transmitting when underway, and for a short time after arriving a marina, or about an hour before leaving. MMSI 338131849. I don't think we'll go to Glacier Bay, with so many other Glaciers easier to get to. But that could all change. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, Great to see your post here, and it has been fun to follow on your website, ( http://osprey-alaska.org/ ).

Safe travels and will be following along. BTW, your writing is spectacular, and my friend from Gabriola (Silva Bay) wants to pass greetings back to the RCMP officer you met in Alert Bay.

Take care and travel safe.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, we will also be following your travel and enjoying all your pictures and write-ups along the way. Thank you for the knot tying demonstration.

Safe travel...thanks!

Gary and Colleen.
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, Nice catch-up. Thanks, and great pix. Great to get to follow along. Thns for the effort.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

DayBreak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy and Bill,

Great pictures. In following your travel, is the picture of Knutson Cove Marina the same place as the marina in Knudson Cove that I found on Mapcarta south of Clover Island on the west side of Revillagigedo Island? Close in spelling!

Looks like you are having a great time. The scenery up there is awesome. Keep sending us those great pictures.

Gary and Colleen.
Pandion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Round trip to Glacier Bay Reply with quote

Brats, we’ve made it as far as Wrangell. Latest pictures, and a few words, at:

http://osprey-alaska.org/

Next stops Petersburg, Ford’s Terror and Tracy Arm.
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Andy, our messages crossed in the electronic around the world paths that emails do getting from here to there. Welcome to summer. Stay safe.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I’m enjoying your write ups & photos. We did much of the route you’ve made so far in 2004 & your excellent photos & observations are bringing back many good memories.

I’m considering upgrading to Tohatsu motors. Do you have numbers on milage so far while on plane & displacement? Also with just one 50 hp running have you checked top speed & what pitch props are you running.

It’s great seeing you bring your planning to reality.

Jay

Pandion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jay, and thanks for your help getting ready for my trip. We’re off tomorrow, from Petersburg, for Ford’s Terror and Tracy Arm. As for the Tohatsus, they’re great engines—but they are also the biggest mistake I’ve made in planning for this trip.

It didn’t occur to me until after I had purchased the engines to make inquiries about getting them serviced in B.C. and Alaska. Guess what? There isn’t a Tohatsu dealer north of Nanaimo. Fortunately, I was able to persuade a Honda dealer in Ketchikan to haul my boat out and change the lower unit oil, but I doubt I’ll find anyone else up here to be so accommodating.

If you’re planning more Alaska adventures, I’d suggest sticking with Hondas or Yamahas.
Pandion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Andy. Blue Days and I are currently in Petersburg. Plan is to spend the next two nights anchored in Ideal Cove, and to do LeConte Bay tomorrow. After that, we may try to head towards Juneau, or over to Kake. All depends on the weather, and the mood. lol. Last year in June when I was in Desolation Sound and the Broughtons, it seemed early in the season with very few boats. However, we've already found spaces filling up in the Marinas in places like Ketchikan, Myers Chuck, Petersburg. There are spaces, but not necessarily with power & water, or with two together. We got into Wrangle the other day, and by early afternoon, the last spot was taken in the main harbor.
Anyway, maybe we'll see you sometime while up here. I have my AIS transmitting when underway, and for a short time after arriving a marina, or about an hour before leaving. MMSI 338131849. I don't think we'll go to Glacier Bay, with so many other Glaciers easier to get to. But that could all change. Colby

Hey Colby, sorry—I missed your message. Looks like I’m a few days behind you. How was Le Conte? I think we’ll pass it by on our way north, but I’m interested in checking it out on my homeward leg. So far, no problem finding dock space—in Ketchikan, Knudson Cove, Meyers Chuck, Thorne Bay, Wrangell, or Petersburg. Just lucky so far, I guess.

I expect to be in Juneau June 30 and July 1, then off to Glacier Bay for ten days. Then back in Juneau by July 11.

Unfortunately I can only receive AIS—but if you see a CD-22 with a pair of blue kayaks on the roof, it’s likely me. My MMSI # is: 367799690.

Andy
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pandion wrote:
Thanks Jay, and thanks for your help getting ready for my trip. We’re off tomorrow, from Petersburg, for Ford’s Terror and Tracy Arm. As for the Tohatsus, they’re great engines—but they are also the biggest mistake I’ve made in planning for this trip.

It didn’t occur to me until after I had purchased the engines to make inquiries about getting them serviced in B.C. and Alaska. Guess what? There isn’t a Tohatsu dealer north of Nanaimo. Fortunately, I was able to persuade a Honda dealer in Ketchikan to haul my boat out and change the lower unit oil, but I doubt I’ll find anyone else up here to be so accommodating.

If you’re planning more Alaska adventures, I’d suggest sticking with Hondas or Yamahas.

Andy, no dealers in SE Alaska is not a concern to me. In all of our cruises there, I’ve never had anyone else touch my Honda motors & on the two occasions I needed parts, there were none available for what I needed without being shipped from the lower 48.

I would still appreciate milage numbers & prop pitch if you have them available.

You should be in for some spectacular sights in this next leg of your cruise.

Jay
DayBreak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, don't get me wrong, Honda and Yamaha are great motors, but I got scared for a moment and checked for authorized Suzuki motor repair and service as well up in the Inside Passage to lower Alaska. I found 6 authorized Suzuki service centers starting from Breakers Marine Ltd. in Port Alberni up to Juneau, Ak. There are also many more Suzuki service centers if you continue on further north. We love our Suzuki motors and want others to know that they also have the option to go with Suzuki if they are considering other brands beside Honda and Yamaha.

Thank you for the information though. Gary.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Andy,
Leaving Sitka tomorrow to head up towards Elfin Cove. No plans to go into Glacier Bay, but with your and my timing, we may cross paths. I'll look for you. Take care, and continue to enjoy your travels. We are enjoying ours! Colby
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, the Suzuki 60 hp is presently my 2nd choice after Tohatsu & could very well end up being my 1st. I’m in the process of getting an ok from Sportscraft Marine for them now. I already have the price quote of $16,000 installed. They only weigh 12 lbs more per motor than the Tohatsu. I still haven’t received a price quote from EQ marine for the Tohatsu 60 hp.

Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: