The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Whining noise tilting Honda BF90 up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robchappelle

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cattitude
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Whining noise tilting Honda BF90 up Reply with quote

Hi, recently one of the Honda BF90 outboards on my boat started making a loud whining noise only when tilting it up. The noise reminds me of a screaming banshee. Smile I added some hydraulic fluid and the outboard is able to go up and down by itself now (I need to help lift it before). Any ideas what might be causing the noise, or troubleshooting steps?

Thanks in advance,
Rob
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Whining noise tilting Honda BF90 up Reply with quote

robchappelle wrote:
Hi, recently one of the Honda BF90 outboards on my boat started making a loud whining noise only when tilting it up. The noise reminds me of a screaming banshee. Smile I added some hydraulic fluid and the outboard is able to go up and down by itself now (I need to help lift it before). Any ideas what might be causing the noise, or troubleshooting steps?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Air bubbles in the oil/fluid will make noise. Run it up & down until you get tired then ck the oil add as nec. it will either heal up & be quiet or not. Where did the oil go? Wink
Make sure the by-pass is closed tight(big slotted screw)
You could also try powering it up & then let it down with the by-pass valve, that might move fluid faster & speed up getting rid of the air.
CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island / Jacksonville
State or Province: FL
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: bf90 hydraulic tilt and trim problem Reply with quote

I had that problem on my 2000 bf90 about a year ago. The power tilt and trim made a funny noise (at the motor) and the motor had trouble going up and down.

One night, at the end of a charter, the motor wouldn't go down at all! I had to get out of the boat and loosen the screw by sticking the screwdriver through a hole in the side of the motor bracket. Someone referenced the screw as the one with a big slot which is correct because a regular-sized screw driver would have only stripped the screw. I had the right tools on-board and got the screw to loosen (if felt like it hadn't been moved after 18 years of being dunked in salt water). When the pressure was relieved the motor dropped down.

When the problem first presented itself, i researched it, and the tools necessary to fix it on the water include a long, over-sized (really big) flat head screwdriver (found one at home depot, but not Wal-mart) and a large pair of vice grips (to turn the screwdriver). I think I used a pair of channel locks over a cloth for the plastic reservoir cap the next day but can't really remember. Without these specific items on-board i'm not sure i would have been able to get the motor down that night on the water.

Next day i watched a video on youtube, went to Wal-mart, got some hydraulic tilt fluid, purged the old fluid (which was low and had air bubbles), squirted in the new fluid, tightened the cap, let the motor go up and down, added more fluid, did that a couple times, tightened the screw back and its always worked great ever since. I think that the old hydraulic fluid had just given out and/or was low on volume.

It was a bit of a messy job but sure beat a trip to the dealer or having to call tow boat that night. I'm sure this isnt the video i originally watched but it should work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGbRQ7TZsj8

http://www.floundergigging.com
Flounder Gigging Charters
"The Adventure of a Night-time"
904-556-0230 Cell/Text
robchappelle

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cattitude
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, tsturm and CaptMac! I'll take a look at that. It would be really nice not to have to take it to the mechanic.
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put some Windex on it...

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: