The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

water pump help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuccifilms

City/Region: las vegas
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: water pump help Reply with quote

got a nice mercury 9.8 2-stroke. kicks over on a pull. just that it wasn’t pumping water. replaced the crumbled up impeller and thought problem solved. i believe i got all the old impeller pieces out? all the fins on the new impeller bend nicely, as i rotate the shaft clockwise, key locked nicely in place.

still no water from the pee hole??

i hooked up water supply to the small flush port, an water then shoots right out of the pee hole, so no blockage up top?

i blew into the top tube of the pump housing of the lower unit and i can feel a litter air exiting the intake screen below it., so no blockage in lower unit??

if there’s no blockage anywhere and this new impeller is not pushing water up the tube into the motor and out the pee hole with motor running in water?
these seems to defy logic. what an i missing?

also, i blew into the rubber hose up top, from where the water pees out of the motor, and with the bottom of the outboard submerged in water, air bubbles came out at the screen intake. that’s the complete path, showing no obstructions?

jakevolvo@yahoo.com

City/Region: Orting
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Told Ya So
Photos: C-Told Ya So
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: water pump help Reply with quote

nuccifilms wrote:
got a nice mercury 9.8 2-stroke. kicks over on a pull. just that it wasn’t pumping water. replaced the crumbled up impeller and thought problem solved. i believe i got all the old impeller pieces out? all the fins on the new impeller bend nicely, as i rotate the shaft clockwise, key locked nicely in place.

still no water from the pee hole??

i hooked up water supply to the small flush port, an water then shoots right out of the pee hole, so no blockage up top?

i blew into the top tube of the pump housing of the lower unit and i can feel a litter air exiting the intake screen below it., so no blockage in lower unit??

if there’s no blockage anywhere and this new impeller is not pushing water up the tube into the motor and out the pee hole with motor running in water?
these seems to defy logic. what an i missing?

also, i blew into the rubber hose up top, from where the water pees out of the motor, and with the bottom of the outboard submerged in water, air bubbles came out at the screen intake. that’s the complete path, showing no obstructions?

Does this motor use a thermostat? I had merc 2 stroke 8 hp that wouldnt pee until the thermostat opened. Did you put the key back on the shaft? Could have fell out OR the rubber impeller broke loose from its hub and is just spinning on itself, I've had that happen to
nuccifilms

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: water pump help Reply with quote

Does this motor use a thermostat? I had merc 2 stroke 8 hp that wouldnt pee until the thermostat opened. Did you put the key back on the shaft? Could have fell out OR the rubber impeller broke loose from its hub and is just spinning on itself, I've had that happen to[/quote]

thanks for reply. i pulled lower off again since then, rotated shaft clockwise and impeller turns nicely. i’ll pull top cover tonight and hope tonsee a tstat. it’s usually right where the pee hose comes off the engine and comes off with 2 bolts. i’m not thinking i’ll see one with a 9.8, but it’s one last thing to check off my list. . .

then i go nuclear, and hook up a cordless drill the shaft and try submerging just the lower unit. i don’t know if i’m the 1st to take things this far to get answers? but i’m a general that refuses to be beaten.
nuccifilms

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: water pump help Reply with quote

nuccifilms wrote:
Does this motor use a thermostat? I had merc 2 stroke 8 hp that wouldnt pee until the thermostat opened. Did you put the key back on the shaft? Could have fell out OR the rubber impeller broke loose from its hub and is just spinning on itself, I've had that happen to

i got my answers. i did run a drill clockwise on the shaft of the lower half with it submerged in the water. got a nice cascade of water shooting up out of the pump housing.

ok, so i said prior, that i hooked a water supply to the flush port, and i got a stream of water out of the pee hole. however, after putting that water supply to the bottom of the copper pipe (that connects to the pump) no such luck. i discovered that rubber pieces had travelled up the entire length of the copper pipe, and impacted right were it connects to the bottom of the motor. in order to get it cleared, i had to pull the motor off the top. a much bigger job than planned, but happy to resolve (to anyone reading, it all makes sense now. on this particular motor here is where rubber impeller bits are likely to end up. the 1/4 inch diameter stream of water makes a hard right turn soon as it enters the bottom of the engine block, and that's were they stay, until someone does the dirty work of pulling the motor)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: