The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fuel line not holding suction...70 hp

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urafemac

City/Region: USA, North Bergen
State or Province: AR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Fuel line not holding suction...70 hp Reply with quote

1984 70 hp Johnson, Original owner.

I have had all sorts of issues with this motor holding vacuum on the fuel lines. I find myself replacing the fuel adapters every year because the o-rings crack every season. Now, on to the problem...it holds suction while running but once the engine stops it loses pressure and I have to pump it back up to get gas in the line. I have installed new clamps, new fuel lines and a new primer bulb. I Tightened the fuel clamps on all the connections till my fingers bleed. Also, I made sure the carb assembly connections were tight.

Is there something I am missing here?
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line not holding suction...70 hp Reply with quote

Urafemac wrote:
1984 70 hp Johnson, Original owner.

I have had all sorts of issues with this motor holding vacuum on the fuel lines. I find myself replacing the fuel adapters every year because the o-rings crack every season. Now, on to the problem...it holds suction while running but once the engine stops it loses pressure and I have to pump it back up to get gas in the line. I have installed new clamps, new fuel lines and a new primer bulb. I Tightened the fuel clamps on all the connections till my fingers bleed. Also, I made sure the carb assembly connections were tight.

Is there something I am missing here?

How old is the fuel line itself? I assume it's been replaced a few times. BTW - same outboard since 1984 - I know plenty of marriages that haven't lasted that long!

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes fuel lines are cut lengthwise to remove them from a barbed fitting. This can result in damage to the brass or plastic barb. I have seen leaks from this cut "line" despite being double clamped.

Another thing to check - there is a marine fuel line which has a liner to prevent any permeation. It requires a different size/type of barb and if put on a regular barb will leak.

WeekiTiki

City/Region: Weeki Wachee
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Just Cruisin'
Photos: WeekiTiki
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'84 was the first year for VRO

You mix your gas though, right?

My 140 that year I converted over.

And of course you have the bulb pointed in the correct direction, i'm sure
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: