colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left Ketchikan to cruise around the island counterclockwise . AIS appears to be working well so can follow us that way. Sorry few updates here but with limited cell service posting mostly on Facebook when I can. I’ll try to put together occasional synopsis when I can.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got back into Ketchikan yesterday. Had a great time this past week. Saw Whales, had Dall Porpoises playing along side our boats, saw some Black Bears, plenty of Eagles, and coming out of Port Stewart, a mama Grizzley and her three cubs. Some beautiful hiking at Punchbowl Cove and in Naha Bay a nature trail to Roosevelt Lagoon. Met a local resident in Loring that shared his knowledge of the area's history and invited us into his home. Learned about a Nuclear Sub acoustic testing facility (google SEAFAC). Wish I had time to upload all the photos I've put on my Facebook account. Just not time to try keeping up with several accounts in posting, and Facebook has worked best for me. That and limited cell service, and even more limited personal data plan.
Last week we had some very nice, warm sunny days. But we're back into the rainy, cloudy weather this area is known for.
Plans are to depart Ketchikan tomorrow and head towards Wrangle, probably stopping along the way at Meyers Chuck. Not sure if the Anan bear observatory is very active now, so we may hit that on the way back. So far this has been a great trip. Everything others have told me. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, thans for the update. Sorry I don't have FB to be able to follow there. Looks like you are enjoying your trip and great to hear about the wildlife.

Andy on Osprey is on the way up, and Devon (C-Ration) had to drop back down here, Engine oil seal leak, came back ot get it fixed.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Wrangle now. Regarding the books and charts on currents. They are over-rated. Twice in narrower channels they've been wrong. As an example yesterday in the Narrows before Wrangle the charts and books showed a 3-4 mph push. Instead we got 2 mph on the bow! (And we double checked and triple checked everything.) Oh well. All is good, no issues. We'll stay here tonight and tomorrow night, then take off Sunday towards Petersburg. The weather has been decent. We get some NW winds every day late morning, until evening. Nothing worse than 1-2 ft chop. We've been running about 4-8mph, depending upon the current. My fuel burn, which appears to be comparable to Blue Days (CD-25) has been 1.1 gph. So averaging between 5-6 mpg. The few times I've pushed this heavy boat up on plane, it's been about 2 mpg. (Normally I'd get around 3.2 or so.) Doing mostly the hull speeds to have the distance capability. After Myers Chuck, we anchored in Frosty Cove and Medan Bay. The Anan facility did not appear to be open, or at least no rangers answered on 16. It was rather choppy in the bay there, so we chose not to anchor. That'll be on our charts to stop at on the way back. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby the Anon bear viewing facility had only sporadic rangers when we were there several times in the past. Not sure if you need reservations there now. Pack creek (do require reservations, or a lottery in Juneau) is far better for Brown Bear.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. I'll look that one up. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,
When in Petersburg, jig with Sabiki Rig (multiple small bright hooks/lures) for herring off the end of the dock. Take the bucket of herring, and go to Pybus bay--there is a nice ledge on the NorthEast side of the bay--and I have always gotten nice halibut there in about 50' of water. You are then staged to go to Tracy Arm, and Sawyer Glacier--and/or Ford's Terror. Both are on the "must do" list for us.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again! Colby
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, are you looking at being back in Ketchikan for any of the Race to Alaska finishers?

They are approaching the 50% mark, probably tonight for the leaders. Just FYI.

Harvey
SleepyC

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think so. I'm pretty much letting Bill plan the days. I don't think we'll be back in Ketchikan until later in the summer on our way back to Prince Rupert. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came through the Wrangell Narrows yesterday, into Petersburg. Piece of cake, except around some fishing resorts where there were a lot of fishing boats also in the center of the channel. Current plans are to anchor out in Ideal Cove the next couple of nights and to visit LeConte Bay to see the Glacier. May have some wind moving in tomorrow, so we may end up holding out in Ideal Cove. After that, head towards Kake and Sitka, then Juneau. All tentative with a lot of flexibility.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now in Sitka for the next three days. Weather has been good to us, as long as you don't mind rain and fog. We did have some rough seas crossing Chatham Strait between Angoon and Peril Strait the other day. (2-4' with a few pushing 5') Seeing Brown Bears, Whales, many Bald Eagles, and today a number of "Sitka" Deer. The commercial fishing season opened two days ago, so seeing a lot of fishing boats to dodge as well! Been getting a few crabs here and there, and Bill and Becky are taking care of the fish end. Caught up with Richard Cook on Dream Cacher, and have run into a few other friends of friends. Up to about 500 photos now on my Facebook page. Tyboo Mike, any easy way to gang load that many photos here? Wink
We'll stay here several days to replenish and then head out for Juneau on Saturday.

The SE Alaska book that is frequently suggested for up here, is somewhat outdated. Kake no longer has a fuel dock, however for a steep price you can have them bring a truck load of fuel down to a city dock. The Marina at Angoon wasn't manned over the weekend when we got there, so hard to get any information about where to dock, etc. (And no one answers phones or radio calls...) Kake has a small public dock, which is free, but not much room. (We barely had room for our 22 and 25.) Still interesting places to check out. Angoon has one heck of a current running in thru it's entrance channel, and it is rather challenging with the shoals and rocks. Many places are like that. But if you have recent charts in your chartplotter, as long as you pay attention, it's all good.
Yes, a few challengers here and there, but definitely a beautiful and fun place to spend a summer.
Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I haven't done a good job of keeping this thread up to date or put much in here about my cruise. I have however uploaded over 500 photos to my facebook account. This was a great trip, an opportunity of a lifetime. Something that has been on my bucket list for a long time. There is nothing more I can add to the many other reviews others have posted with their trips along the Inside Passage of SE Alaska. I had a great time, but all good things must come to an end. I'm currently sitting on trailered Midnight Flyer at Ft. Telkwa Riverside RV Campground near Smithers BC. Got back to Prince Rupert Monday afternoon, and left there this morning. Looking forward now to getting back home, and back on fresh water where one doesn't have to worry about tides or salt growth! Mr. Green Colby
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, hope to see you on the fresh water side, somewhere. Thanks for teh good write-ups and updates on the areas you have been.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, what is your Facebook name, we would all love to see your pictures!
Thanks!

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: