The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Salt Water in PortaPotti Flush

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Salt Water in PortaPotti Flush Reply with quote

The question is: can salt water go in portapotti flush tank.

Why? Our friend and fellow C-Brat is working his way up into SE Alaska, and has asked if I would pose this question on the site.

I believe his intention is toward using Salt water in the flush tank to conserve his fresh water supply. I know using Salt Water in a marine toilet will increase the odor generation and accelerate the production of the odors. So, would that be the same in a portapotti? And would the addition of some "blue chemical stuff" help reduce the odiforousness? Rolling Eyes

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and yes.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Salt Water in PortaPotti Flush Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
The question is: can salt water go in portapotti flush tank.

Why? Our friend and fellow C-Brat is working his way up into SE Alaska, and has asked if I would pose this question on the site.

I believe his intention is toward using Salt water in the flush tank to conserve his fresh water supply. I know using Salt Water in a marine toilet will increase the odor generation and accelerate the production of the odors. So, would that be the same in a portapotti? YES! And would the addition of some "blue chemical stuff" help reduce the odiforousness? YES! Rolling Eyes

Next question: Where is the "Soup" going to be dumped?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to use his grey water for flushing instead of salt water. Although the results will depend on what's in the grey water.

It is bad to dump salt water into a septic system. The is from an aquarium forum, but it talks about salt water in a septic system.

https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/index.php?threads/is-salt-water-bad-for-septic-system.296022/
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fresh water is available many places in AK, and your friend should be able to fill the tank on the port-potty from any river, spring or domestic water supply. He just needs a bucket and funnel. We carry a collapsable bucket, and it is easy to scoop up a gallon of water to use in the PP.

There are some springs in the mechanism--there may be accelerated rust with the salt water. The chemicals will work fine--many boat holding tanks use salt water. But there are many who use fresh water to avoid the issues with salt water. In The R 246 forum, a number of members used fresh water (dumping in, using the shower head etc) to "Flush" their marine heads--which were not hooked up to raw water.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
Might want to use his grey water for flushing instead of salt water. Although the results will depend on what's in the grey water.

It is bad to dump salt water into a septic system. The is from an aquarium forum, but it talks about salt water in a septic system.

https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/index.php?threads/is-salt-water-bad-for-septic-system.296022/

MANY boats have salt water plumbing systems. My old Camano had one. Nothing wrong with it.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
serpa4

City/Region: Melbourne
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: DayLo
Photos: DayLo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:
ssobol wrote:

MANY boats have salt water plumbing systems. My old Camano had one. Nothing wrong with it.

Most of my boats (sail) were raw water flush. Amazing how long fresh water can last when using sea water to flush.
I'm in the process of doing the conversion right now. I'm tying into the raw water pickup and pump already installed with strainer, through hull, and ball valve for my wash down pump. Should be easy running a T into the line and 15' to the bathroom.
My previous owner pulled all the holding tank and macerator out so I don't know how it all goes back in. Researching now. Need pictures.

kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the bigger question is properly discharging the contents of a porta potti, especially in remote waters where marina facilities are very limited. I’m not sure how many actually navigate out of their way the required 3 mi. offshore. Even if they dump 3 mi. offshore, the current is as likely to push the effluent shoreward, rather than out to sea. Aside from the inconvenience of water availability for the flush tank, the weight of the porta potti is significant with the tank full.

For all of the above reasons I have been following the threads on composting toilets. In that research I see that some Canadian provinces now prohibit the carriage of a portable, chemical toilet. Presumably the reason for this is that they can be discharged into a body of water. Thanks for starting the thread Harvey. Ken
Boater Rob

City/Region: Albany
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 18-8 Toland
Vessel Name: Sea Pony
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Porta pottie Flush Reply with quote

In order to get more days out of our porta potti, we use a sports water bottle and then just flush things down with that. Depending on the room for trash on board, we do not put toilet paper in the porta pottie, but keep it in a sealed trash can.
Just some other ideas.

Rob
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

serpa4 wrote:

Most of my boats (sail) were raw water flush. Amazing how long fresh water can last when using sea water to flush.
I'm in the process of doing the conversion right now. I'm tying into the raw water pickup and pump already installed with strainer, through hull, and ball valve for my wash down pump. Should be easy running a T into the line and 15' to the bathroom.
My previous owner pulled all the holding tank and macerator out so I don't know how it all goes back in. Researching now. Need pictures.

Didn't the 2018 use the head system, with a direct dump into the 9 gallon holding tank in the base of the commode? I would be concerned about corrosion in the valves in this system, which were designed for fresh water use. (As I recollect the amount of fresh water is minimal. The "Y" valve, and a hand (diaphragm) or 12 V powered pump (macerator or diaphragm). I converted one boat which only had the deck pump out to a diaphragm pump discharge--no macerator.

If fresh water is an issue, I probably would put in a small or even portable fresh water container, just dedicated to the head. There are small pumps which work well with this type of system. Let's say a 2 gallon container, with the pump could be put in the back corner of the head.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the original poster....you got some good answers and yes you can safely use salt water in the portable toilet. But, it probably depends on the toilet....mine is rated for salt water usage and others may not be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: