View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKFisher

City/Region: Venice
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: NELLIE GRACE
Photos: AKFisher
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Slow fill up and sudden overflow Reply with quote

Why does it tack so long to fill up the tanks on the 22 Cruiser? I have to pump very slowly or the tank fill hose will back up and spill over the side. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any ideas on a remedy?
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of us have that experience. Seems like it should be a straight shot to the tank from the fill. Not so, there is the flat or elevation and the vent that you are fighting with.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fill hose is an S with two almost 90 deg bends, it is not a straight shot into the tank. You can relieve some of this by replacing the factory fill hoses with straighter ones. However, some bend will remain because of the fill port and tank placements.

This does not help with the back flush during a fill, but it helps contain the gas that burps out.

https://www.lfsmarineoutdoor.com/Clean-Way-Fuel-Fill?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwNrI7J7T4gIVmUUNCh047QgnEAQYBCABEgLg7fD_BwE

Otherwise I just fill my tanks at a reasonable rate until the level is 2-3 inches from the top, then go slowly to top off.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were not all created equal. Our first 22 was a 2003, and it was so bad I would use a wad of paper towels wrapped around the fill port, and would fill using the slowest level possible on the gas pump. I would listen carefully because I could hear when the piping was getting overwhelmed with liquid and stop before it would erupt all over our gunnel. It would take forever that way, but it was effective.

Our 2007 doesn't seem to have the same problem. I'm still using a wad of paper towels just out of habit but it does not seem to be an issue. As far as I know both boats are as equipped from the factory.

ssobol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
... Our 2007 doesn't seem to have the same problem. I'm still using a wad of paper towels just out of habit but it does not seem to be an issue. As far as I know both boats are as equipped from the factory.

IMO, it probably depended on the person putting in the fill hose. I think that these are just cut from stock by whoever did it. I found that my original fill hoses were at least 3" too long. This resulted in sharper bends and greater stress on the hose. I replaced mine when one of the fill hoses started leaking along the bend because the hose was cracking. The replacements I put in were shorter and they are straighter. When I started the installation I used a replacement that was the same length of the original. It was VERY difficult to get in place because of the bending required. Cutting about 3 inches off the length make the installation much easier.
Missynme

City/Region: Snohomish
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Missy
Photos: Missy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experienced the same thing as many others. When mine first came from the factory I had to go so slow to keep from spilling everywhere. I opened up the side cubby panels to access the hose and reduced the length by 3-6”. On one side I took larger waist water hose and split it so I could slide it over the existing hose. This kept it from pinching. Now when I fill up I go full throttle till just before full then top off to desired level. I use fuel spill towel wrapped around nozzle just in case as I am still paranoid from before. Just watch some fuel nozzle just don’t like us.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put in a fancy vent baffle to keep gas from burping out the side. Now, it only burps out the top on to the deck right at the end of a fill. I'm not sure what's going on. If I'm in a quiet spot, I can hear when the tank is getting full. The weird thing is that when I stop abruptly it almost always burps up some fuel on to the deck, even if only half full. What is it about "stopping" that does this? If I very slowly stop the fuel, this doesn't happen.

I now routinely request the attendant to reduce the pressure to a minimum. I filled in Roche Harbor once where the megayachts require hundreds of gallons and have important places to go. The pump must have been set to 20 gallons per minute. It was like throwing a bucket of gas on my deck.

I'm very interested in rubber grommet idea shown above. I have a fancy vent catchment that is designed to not burp fuel, so why do I need to have air (and gasoline) escaping out of the deck fuel fill? I could stick a grommet on the nozzle and jam it into the fill. I might get a bubble around the grommet, but not the spew of gasoline on deck that is Coast Guard disapproved.

Of course, I wouldn't use an expensive "boat specific" solution from a marine hardware store when Fernco makes a $3 selection that can be modified for my situation. https://www.fernco.com/sites/default/files/literature/Qwik_Caps_T4812_0.pdf

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I find by putting the handle of the gas nozzle towards the bow helps.
R407c

City/Region: Milwaukee
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1997
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:03 am    Post subject: Slow fill up and sudden overflow Reply with quote

I had the same problem with burps of gas coming out the fill line while filling. I feel the problem is that the vent at the top of the vent line has too much restriction and the vapor pressure can not get out fast enough as you fill, hence the pressure in the tank builds and it burps out of the fill line.

My vent lines are 5/8 inch inside diameter hoses. I bought 10 ft of vent line, two brass T's, and some hose clamps. Just above both fuel tanks, I cut the vent line and put in a "T " , then I ran the new hose from one T to the other T. Supporting this line up under the motor well. So now I have the two fuel tank vent lines tied together as well as each tank going to its original vent piece on the top sides. Now when I fuel one tank, I take the cap off the other tank, and as I fill the tank the vapor pressure can flow out both top vents and also the vapor can flow into the other tank and out the open fill fitting.

This has made a huge difference on how fast I can fill the tanks now without the gas back ups.

Mike Moser

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here! Ive made many messes with the 25, can't remember about the 19. It sucked on the 25 because it had 100 gallons.....if you were reducing the pump speed it was tedious.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marco said:

"...I put in a fancy vent baffle to keep gas from burping out the side. Now, it only burps out the top on to the deck right at the end of a fill. I'm not sure what's going on. If I'm in a quiet spot, I can hear when the tank is getting full. The weird thing is that when I stop abruptly it almost always burps up some fuel on to the deck, even if only half full. What is it about "stopping" that does this? If I very slowly stop the fuel, this doesn't happen.

I now routinely request the attendant to reduce the pressure to a minimum. I filled in Roche Harbor once where the megayachts require hundreds of gallons and have important places to go. The pump must have been set to 20 gallons per minute. It was like throwing a bucket of gas on my deck."

Stuff clipped.

Roche Harbor has very nice pumps that have a valve that you yourself can adjust the fill speed from gallons a minute to dribble. That is one of the reasons I like to fill there. The price is not a reason I like to fill there. AND Friday Harbor does give Boat US members a fuel discount.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beside the deck fuel fill port, fueling overflows can occur from the tank vent on
the side of the boat. This vent tube is about only 5/8" which can cause back
pressure when fueling resulting in spillage.

Besides slowing the fuel fill, increasing the air volume in the tank and vent can
be aided by adding a small "catch" in the vent line: the Racor Lifeguard fuel/air
separator. Fuel going up the vent line is returned to the tank instead of going
overboard.

About $100. for the LG100.

https://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/Racor_Fuel_Filtration_-_LifeGuard_Fuel-Air-Separators_-_RSL0184.pdf

Aye.

AKFisher

City/Region: Venice
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: NELLIE GRACE
Photos: AKFisher
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So over all, I'm am glad it is not just me experiencing this issue. I do have to fill extremely slow and I will have to look at figuring a way to get the hose as straight as possible and maybe some type of fix to stop the burping back. Thanks for the insights and recommendations.
ssobol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:
Beside the deck fuel fill port, fueling overflows can occur from the tank vent on the side of the boat. ...

I never have had fuel burping out of the vent port, only the fill. When filling the tank I can feel air coming out the vent. I have also checked the vent by blowing into them.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Racor is the one that I put in. I thought for $100 my problem would be solved. Not quite.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: