View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ferg

City/Region: Oak Island
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Here & Now
Photos: Here & Now
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: I’m thinking of replacing my plotter w/ an 12.9“ IPad Reply with quote

I like a bunch of apps that are available, and I think that I can get most of the things that my plotter gives me...like Navionics and NOAA’s radar, and view them simultaneously on a big split screen. At $1200 it costs less, with more functionality (on land and sea)

The only thing I think I need is a depth sounder. Does anyone know if there are Bluetooth sounders?

Any thoughts on what I’m forgetting?

Thanks
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An issue with the iPad is whether it is sunlight readable or not. With a C-dory this is not as much of an issue as some boats, but might be worth checking. Some functions on apps on the iPad may only work if you have a network connection. You need a cellular equipped iPad to have GPS.

You can get a standalone depth finder for US$100-120 such as these. They don't do bluetooth but they do work fine.

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/accessories/miscellaneous/hdr-650-dash-digital-depth-sounder?id=18976&gclid=CJb5vt-A1uICFRHgyAodeFkEsQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/norcross-marine--d10d-hawkeye-digital-depth-sounder-transom-mount-in-hull-transducer--2568012?mrkgcl=481&mrkgadid=3076578988&cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC%3ENonB%3EProduct%2520Type-_-2568012&product_id=2568012&adpos=1o1&creative=108421552444&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CInHkOGA1uICFZqKswod0iYOTQ
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did the entire Great Loop (5,428 miles) in 2017 using an iPad on a RAM mount on the underside of the electronics shelf. We used the Garmin Blue Chart mobile app (no longer available), and now the best navigation app by a LONG way is Aqua Map. We concluded at the end of our Loop that all a boater actually needs to is an iPad with Aqua Map, a depth sounder and a VHF radio. You do need a cellular capable iPad to use the GPS function but you don't need a data plan. We used our iPhones as hot spots for the iPad when we needed internet connectivity. You should also have weather apps and a wind / wave height app like SailFlow which do require an internet connection. AIS is nice too, depending on where you cruise. To me, the dedicated chartplotter is a dinosaur, bound for extinction. But then there are those who insist on using paper charts, so people give up what they know and grew up using very hard!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Si if you need a phone connection to use the GPS in an I-Pad, what happens when you go where there is no phone service?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Ferg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts!

i was stuck on the idea of bluetoothing the sounder, but ssobol had a great solution with the stand-alone sounder.

The only other thing that I would miss is the fuel consumption meter, but I can live without that.

If the entire great loop was happily completed in this fashion, that’s all I need to know.

But I’m looking forward to when someone makes his/her fortune by wirelessly connecting accessories.

I’m aware that I’d need a cellular iPad

Thanks again
Ferg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on wireless fuel flow

https://www.interactio.co/optio-fuel
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Si if you need a phone connection to use the GPS in an I-Pad, what happens when you go where there is no phone service?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Nope, nope, nope! You do NOT need a phone connection to use the GPS in an iPad. Absolutely. Not just guessing at this. Really. What you need is an iPad that is "cellular capable" but you do not have to sign up for cell service. The GPS chip is in the cellular stuff inside the iPad.

We have owned 6 iPads since they first came out. Used them on boats. In case I didn't mention it: you do NOT need to be connected to cell service to use the GPS function in the iPad. Really. Don't listen to the "genius" in the Apple Store, because they have never run a boat. You need "cellular capable," but you don't need to be connected to a cell tower or pay for a cellular connection.

Yes, there are some apps that require a data connection, and that is what Pat is talking about when "using his iPhone as a hot spot." NONE of the marine nav apps require a cellular connection, other than when loading the area maps (so you do that way before you get on the boat).

People have questioned me on this since I bought that first iPad when Apple released the "cellular and wifi" model (shortly after releasing the initial "wifi only" model. It works. No cellular connection necessary to have the marine nav app fully functional. Honest.

This does NOT work with a "wifi only" iPad. No GPS chip in it. Yes, you can add an external GPS (like the Bad Elf)... but the difference in cost between the "wifi only" iPad and the "wifi and cellular" is about the same as the cost of the external GPS... so why not just get it already built in??

Oh, and it works. Without being around cellular service. Really. Just be sure to buy the "wifi and cellular" model. Our iPads have NEVER been connected to any cell carrier, other than when using my phone as a hot spot. I wouldn't steer you wrong on this. Really.

Wink
drbridge

C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can say that we too have had great success using an ipad without having phone service. We purchased an older ipad for a couple hundred dollars from ebay. it is cellular capable with GPS and has wi-fi. I purchased the Navionics ap a couple years ago and downloaded all the maps I would need over Wi-Fi connection. We use it as a redundant chart plotter to our Raymarine C-80. As far as a chart plotter it works just as well as the C-80. We can't get radar or depth on it, but works great as chart plotter. We have to keep it pluged in to a power source when using it because the ipad battery will drain fairly quick and since it is an older navionics ap I can not update the maps because if I do I will loose them all from what I understand. We also use a stand alone depth/fish finder because it gives us a seperate screen for better viewing. I like to have both the c-80 and the ipad on when navigating unfamiliar waters. I keep one zoomed in close and the other further out for better viewing of the maps.
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We purchased IPAD Pro 12.9. three years a go. It is a great addition that is mounted on the Admirals side with a Ram X mount. It does not require cell service to function as a plotter. And it is far superior to my Garmin 3210. If I didn't need the other features, Radar, Autopilot and Sounder, I would get a second iPad for the helm. If you don't have radar, a stand alone sounder would be great and a lot less expensive than a new network machine.

Gene

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Read it again, Harvey. You do NOT need cell service or an internet connection - you only need a cellular "capable" iPad. The reason is that only cellular "capable" iPads have an internal GPS, the WiFi only iPads do not have a GPS.

Like Bathurst says, the cellular capable iPad works great with nav apps without cell service!
C-Val

City/Region: White Rock
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Seaduced
Photos: C-Val
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the iPad with Navionics.
I have a HDS 9” as back up and for radar.
(I didn’t want to use Bluetooth radar to iPad- Furuno first watch- though I considered it. I wanted radar to be hardwired-just in case)

I have a newer cheaper small lowrance 5 for stand alone depth sounder
As far as chart plotter is concerned, the iPad is bigger and the image is more clear. iPad has 2x the pixel count.

The sun on iPad could be an issue if I was outside but for me it never has bothered me.

We also have Navionics on phones just in case

David and Val

1988 22' Angler
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You need a cellular equipped iPad to have GPS.

Not true. We have a non-cellular I-pad and use a Bad Elf gps unit, mentioned above by Jim. It plugs into the charging port on the iPad. Works great. About $100. It has a mini USB so you can charge while running.
https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Elf-GPS-Lightning-Connector/dp/B00G2BX616/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Bad+Elf&qid=1559931251&s=gateway&sr=8-2

We use the Aqua Map app. Works great. Here is an article with lots of info on apps that are available, cost etc.

https://www.waterwayguide.com/latest-news/news/8865/14-ipad-navigation-apps-evaluated?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=News&utm_content=News+03-14-2018

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=AU-KAI&id=I_pad_navigation&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iPad actually saved our Gulf Islands trip last year. An oversight by someone (me) left our Garmin unit useless. See, someone (me) pulled the card out for an update and then didn't re-install it prior to our trip. We got up into the islands and the Garmin lost the charts...while entering Wallace Island. Thankfully, we had the iPad, so crisis averted. Rolling Eyes
hardee

Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK then, Thanks to Jim, Pat and the rest. Thank you for clearing that up and making it easy. I-Pads always confuse me.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Ferg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay! I’m beyond convinced....now I need to wait for my current iPad to die....does anybody have a hammer I can borrow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: