The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wiper motor replacement for c-dory Tomcat 24

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ingutuk

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: OUZEL
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Wiper motor replacement for c-dory Tomcat 24 Reply with quote

Hello all... need to replace a wiper motor that seized on my 1999 Tomcat 24'. Thus far, I have only been able to find info for replacement for the 25'--- and my wipers are NOT the pantograph type. The do NOT mount above the window - they mount below and it is the driver window motor/blade that needs replacement.

Anyone know the correct shaft length and if 80 degree or 110 degree wiper coverage is correct?

I also am interested in if anyone knows if the Schmitt Ongaro wiper motor (P/N 33611) model is suitable for replacing what I had... (from previous posts, it appears to be suitable for the 25' tomcat...but not sure for my 24'). This make/model seems to be more highly regarded than the Marinco/ATI model.
Any assistance is appreciated! (and man that wiper motor/blade was hard to remove!)
Westie

City/Region: Bodega Bay
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: True North
Photos: Westie
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this helps, but here is what I replaced on my 2006 Tomcat. Worked out fine.

motor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NI5AJA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

shaft
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NHZY42/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your TC 24 is a different setup than any of the other C-Dorys. It sounds more like the 22's wiper (placement on mine sounds the same.) On your AFI when you get it off, there is a sticker on the motor that will tell you the sweep - mine was 80, and you can get to the wires.

For tools, the easiest way is with a chain saw and a jack hammer. A D-8 cat might come in handy too, as back up. The reality is that you are not likely to get the cap over the shaft to raise high enough to be able to get to the set screws. Go ahead and try. A come along and gear puller might help, and a quart or two of PB Blaster. OK, if you are this far and don`t have it off yet, save yourself a ton of time. Get out (for real now) a sawzall and a new metal cutting blade (or if you have it, a dremell with a cut off blade. The AFI Customer Service rep was really nice and helpful, but he also told me they don't make them to come off, just to stay on. I told him they were doing that part very well.

Good luck. Oh, and I went with the AFI direct replacement due to time constraints. Best in your endeavor.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

DrewbirdII

City/Region: fanny bay
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Drewbird II
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my motor years ago and remember how difficult it was. I also replaced the wiper switch that I hated with a floor dimmer switch. A single tap with my right foot turns it on or off, nice touch for a single swipe which most of the time is all that is required. I don`t have to think about it any more until I get into a different boat and have to reach for the dash (twice) every time I get A little spray on the window. Jim.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, Great idea. You have really done some nice things on your boat. Great to get to meet and see you at FH. And thanks for the great tips.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: