The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

22 Cruiser significant model year changes, repower older one

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curioustraveler

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Photos: Curioustraveler
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: 22 Cruiser significant model year changes, repower older one Reply with quote

Good morning,

I am researching 22 cruisers and looking at what's available around me. Is there a source that describes the major changes made in more recent model years? And are any of these considered critical improvements by those of you with C-dory experience.

I'm seeing some early to mid 90's for sale and then some mid 2000's.

I know the cockpit and cabin sole was changed at some point. Is the cockpit sole in the older models literally the shape of the hull? Meaning I won't be able to sit in folding chairs?

I know wipers changed from manual to electric. This seems like it might be an important improvement.

What I'm wondering is if I should stick with a newer, mid 2000's model, or go with one of the older ones and repower with a new 90hp (one of them has a 50 and one has a 70.) This might give me a solid, reliable hull with a brand new motor vs a newer hull and a 10+ years old motor.

Any reasons to definitely stick with newer? (assume the older ones are in solid, good condition.)
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 22 Cruiser significant model year changes, repower older Reply with quote

curioustraveler wrote:
Good morning,

Any reasons to definitely stick with newer? (assume the older ones are in solid, good condition.)

the short answer, no.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From 1987 on the hull has remained the same. There was initially a two part fiberglass floor available as an option in the early 2000 era. Then about 2007 there became a permanent level single piece floor. The level floor makes it easier for using folding chairs--but we have had both the two part floor in a 2006 boat and just the inner face of the hull bottom on a 1993 boat. The 1993 had teak rails on the top of the cabin. The aft cabin bulkhead was made of the melamine covered plywood, with fake teak grain..the 2006 was fiberglass cored with balsa.

Go by the boat, how well it was kept up, what accessories (Trim tabs, and Permatrim, I consider essential to getting the best ride). The Bimini and camper back make a wonderful second cabin--especially when it rains or is cold.

A windlass makes a great addition. Electronics have changed with better radar and fish finders in the last few years. 10 year old electronics may be dated enough to merit an upgrade.

The position of the bilge pump has changed--I like to add a second bilge pump, no matter where the primary one is located. One bilge pump at the rear of the cockpit, and one either at the front of the cockpit--or with a limber hole thru the aft cabin bulkhead, and a pump in a sealed compartment in the cabin. (A few boats were built with the pump at the forward end of the cockpit.

There was mass production of the 22's in the 2002 thru 2007, so more of these seem to come up for sale. Most issues have been fixed by prior owners.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
curioustraveler

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Photos: Curioustraveler
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, when shopping used, it's more about the condition of the boat. Accessories and features can always be added or upgraded if necessary. I have a 2016 that is kept indoors and still pretty good shape, with 365 engine hours. But tell you what, I recently saw a 1991 that belongs to another C-Brat which is in even better shape, also stored indoors its whole life by original owner. I was too embarrassed to ask the owner if he wanted to trade boats. There's something about the wood handrails and the wood grain interior on the older models I really love (93 and older?).
-Mike

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious Traveler, Go see some of the boats. Get to a gathering, someplace, and take an up close and personal look. Most owners are happy to share a peek at there boats, and most are pretty proud of what they have. Go and take a look.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: