The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New Tom Cat 255
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

Let's just say that I am very patial to Jet propulsion. After running a jet sled for the last 5 years I have "seen the light" so to speak. Outboards with pumps don't count. The Inboard Mercury Sportjet package takes a powerhead from the 2 stroke Optimax and attaches it to a jetpump. These make very small powerful packages that would fit in a corner of the TC very nicely.

What do I like about jets so much? Well for one thing the pumps require very little maintenance. They allow for very shallow draft. Won't ever have a problem with breaking a prop due to a deadhead. and finally the manueverability of a jet at the dock is simply astounding. With my 19' sled I can litterally pivot the boat on its center. No need for bow thrusters! Simply be patient and the jet will rotate you around. With twins you are suppose to be able to crab the boat sideways.

Tim, I've thought for years that it is too bad they didn't put the 4 stroke powerhead on the Sportjets. It would be a great package then! I think the reasoning is that the powerband is too different to get an efficient package.

Bob Cat

City/Region: Santa Monica
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Dive Cat
Photos: Dive Cat
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Cat made it back home to sunny So Cal, having traded a day of rain here on Saturday for 2 days of rain in Seattle. The route down the coast allowed a view of all the northern Channel Islands, then all the others except San Clemente. Lots of traffic but nice to be home!

I had a great time crawling around Dive Cat, sitting at the helm like a kid on the ride at Walmart, and admiring Les's work. It is remarkable to have so much stuff on that boat, yet it still looks like it could be a stock-from-the factory model. Les hid everything away so well. You have to look to find. The Spectra Watermaker guy did just that, making several visits, camera in hand. I gave him permission to use the installation for marketing purposes.

Also enjoyed so many other folks enjoying the boat. Some of you know I searched for 4 years before I found what I wanted and needed for my purposes. This boat may not be for everyone, but I know other boat owners can appreciate finding and having what they really want.

Many thanks to Roger, Linda and others who helped pull this together for the C-Brats. I really appreciate the opportunity to have met so many Brats and Dogs at one place. And what a great venue! And huge thanks to the folks at C-Dory (The Mother Ship) for all the support they give the groups and for their committment to product excellence.

Dive Cat will be ready for pickup about Feb. 15. Katy and I will be driving Junior up, along with Mika the dog. We'll be spending a several days with Les and Company, going through all the systems. Several of you locals expressed an interest in seeing and riding on the final result. I'll keep you posted here and we'll have us a mini-mini cat gathering.

Looking forward to this next event!

Bob Cat

PS: Byrdman, the adoption papers are in process. Meanwhile, we'll time-share whenever you can make it out here! And sorry about underestimating the magnitude of your BBQ expertise!
RicksAmigo1

City/Region: Southern Idaho
State or Province: ID
Vessel Name: Amigo II
Photos: Amigo
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone received delivery of their new Tom Cat 255 yet? If so, what do they think of it?
Pat

stevej

City/Region: Gaston
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask this question before but never did find out.

Does the TC use displacement or plaining hulls?

Anybody know?

Thanks
stevej

1995 25' Cruise Ship #3
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's a planer!!

Dusty

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat and Rick: Brent and Dixie have taken delivery of thier TC255 and love it. They moved up from the original TC24. All indications are that this too is another fine set up as is the original TomCat.

I undrestand there were several orders placed for the TC255 at the Seattle show alone. I know of 2 going to AK. Then, once Bob gets his back home loaded with 6 divers and gear....we will 100% know just about anything a person would need to know about them. I have heard no reports from the Baltimore show from Cutter yet, and the FL show is next month. I feel sure the boat will fair down there real well too. It is a Great Boat.

Bob: Had a blast meeting you and crawling on, over and around your boat. She is to be proud of for sure. Let me make it clear that my family members are IN the BBQ business for sure...and we have been for about 5 generations. Too much real work for me.... but I do enjoy real slow smoked no kidding southern BBQ.... as did the folks who got to enjoy it at the Blakely 05 gathering. Not sure when I can make it back out to your side for a trip on the Dive Cat...but know that I am watching for the opportunity for sure..... and will drag a cooler full of BBQ in tow. I simply could not swing it with the time/distance and changing schedules of my latest west coast adventure. It was great meeting you and will watch on the edge of my seat for your delivery/launching news.....sometime in Feb/Mar. Grin. Quality takes time.
RicksAmigo1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman:
Thanks for the info. Where do Brent and Dixie hail from? I'm sure Rick would like to get their opinions, too.

Pat
Bob Cat

City/Region: Santa Monica
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Dive Cat
Photos: Dive Cat
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat and Rick'

There is another comprehensive site covering a lot of new Tom Cat information that was started last year in All C-Dory's, All The Time. Look at New TomCat 25. Has over 17,000 hits.

Also, if you look at the album for Dive Cat, you will see progress as it has unfolded over the months.

I was trying to consolidate these two similar sites, but it can't be done. I'm continuing to post on the other one as information about my experience is available.

Bob Cat
RicksAmigo1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Cat:
Thanks, I just stumbled across that thread. Very informative. I think Rick is pretty sold on the boat after seeing it at the SBS. He just wanted to know what it was like on the water. He will be checking the site from California tonight and I will direct him to that thread. Now, all we have to do is sell the 22'. He just had some custom railings put on it while it is stored at Twin Bridges and hasn't even seen the finished project yet. It's taken him two years to get it all customized to all his needs. Oh well.............
Pat
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat and Rick,

We are the owners of Discovery, the 5th TC255 built. We picked the boat up on Dec. 10th and had a short water trial on Lake Washington, then trailered home to Richfield, Utah. We are now in Rockport, Texas hiding from the winter. The TC255 is home in Utah and we plan on the first real cruising to be at Lake Powell in March and April. We will also go to the Sacramento/Delta Cruise with the C-Dogs in May.

Discovery is fitted with Floscan Twinscan tachs and fuel flow monitors but we only have about 3 hours running time. Don't have speed or mileage data as it was the break-in period.

We weighed the rig on the way home at a Wash truck port of entry. The boat and trailer were 8600 lbs. Tongue weight was 710 lbs. That was with minimal fuel and no water, and not much gear. The boat trailered like a dream, and was no different than our TC24 to pull. Maybe just a little slower up the hills, and a little slower to stop.

Brent

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
RicksAmigo1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brent and Dixie,
Good to hear from you and that your new TC made it home safely. Wish I was in Texas with you. We just had another snowstorm this week end and I am frankly tired of this Winter. Of course, the farmers are thankful for the moisture as we have been in a drought for the past five years at least.
Anyway, enough about the weather. Hope you keep posting with your experiences with your new baby and we will look forward to hopefully meeting you all some day. We love Lake Powell, but understand it has been very low on water the past year.
Good luck and congratulations.
Pat
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I was one of the lucky ones who got a ride on the TC255 at Blakely back in July - the "what it is like on the water" is, in a couple of words, simply amazing. We were loaded up with 12 or more people onboard (and it really didn't seem croweded, either). The two Honda BF150s popped it out of the water at the typical C-Dory low speed, the next sensation was we were going 35 or 40 mph in virtually an instant - into a turn, flat cornering, very comfortable. Very smooth ride, you really have to experience it. The "on the water" is going to be the best part, for people who hanker to go faster, because this is one fast, comfortable, stable boat. We went to the SBS too, but spent our time at another new boat, and ironically will be going a bit slower in the future! Laughing But the TC255 is an awesome boat in the truest sense.

RicksAmigo1 wrote:
Bob Cat:
Thanks, I just stumbled across that thread. Very informative. I think Rick is pretty sold on the boat after seeing it at the SBS. He just wanted to know what it was like on the water.
Pat

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was one of the 12 and agree with Pat - awesome! Except I think they were BF 135's at that time?
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Pat and Rick

Where are you in Idaho?

Looking at the Lake Powell water level at Waynes Words on the net. Lake level is at 3595.86 which is about 105' below full pool. This is 35' higher than last year on this date and the trend is for higher water levels this year. No problems with launching and loading as long as you stick to the main marinas. Boating is still great and fishing is better with lower lake levels. We usually go in at Bullfrog marina, then up or down lake 30 to 50 miles to get away from the crowds. Your welcome to join us for a tandem cruise. We will by back home in mid March and itching to get on the water with the TC255.

Brent and Dixie
RicksAmigo1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
We are in Shoshone, Idaho about an hour south of Sun Valley. We were at Lake Powell about 3 years ago and launched at Wahweap, but cruised up to Bull Frog. At that time we were in a 22' Boston Whaler outrage cuddy, which was quite the gas hog which had either a 200 or 225 Evinrude or Johnson (I forget).

That sounds good that Powell's water level is up. Rick has had his boat stored at Twin Bridges the past two years and brought it home to do some work on it last year for a brief time, but usually does most of his boating in the San Juans and around Vancouver Is. It would be nice if he could keep the 22' Cruiser for the lakes around here and keep the TC 255 for the island cruising. We mostly like to use it for crabbing, cruising and camping out on.
Pat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: