The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wiring advice requested (sorry!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, THANKS!!! I have just a silly amount of copper going straight to my one single battery. I also have the original switch panel with glass fuses. I've had a rewire on my mind for some time, but just didn't want to do the planning. I can just steal your diagram!!
cgypsy

City/Region: Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C Gypsy
Photos: C Gypsy
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread but it answers some of the questions that I would ask.

I want to add an "Add-a-Battery" kit, but I have twin engines that would both be running at the same time.

Would I wire them the same way as in the diagram?

Can I have two engines running at the same time charging the batteries through the switch?

Could hooking up both engines to the same switch case problems with my alternator or regulator?

I would like to have one starting battery and one house battery isolated by ACR.

Is there any benefit to having 3 batteries? I only need one house battery which I may supplement with a solar panel in the future.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have rewired Sierra our new to us 2003 CD 25 over the last year in much the same way you propose for your boat. I have instaled ACRs on my last 3 boats and have been very happy with them.
I have cabin top solar added so I don't worry about the draw.
On our boat 2 group 31s fit for the house so we upgraded to them from 27s gaining 30 more amp hrs in the bank. I believe that bilge pumps should always be wired to a stud/strip between the battery and the main house switch. It has to run to your on-off-auto switch then back to the pump, place a lot of attention to the switch wiring diagram, use brown colored wire as is standard and be careful to calculate your full wire run for a lage enough gauge wire, pumps are often underwired I like an engine to house combine switch the same type as the main and engine switchs that bypasses the the ACR in case it fails or if there is a problem with the start battery.
You have a good handle on what you want and I believe that you will really enjoy the project.
Micah

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACRs "combine" your start bank to your house battery bank so the wire only has to be as large as is needed to carry your maximum charging currant be it from the motor charged battery to the house bank or from the solar charged house bank back to the start battery, size determined by the run length.
Micah
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting to see this thread come up as I was unaware of it previously. I am the new owner of this boat, formerly Silvertip, now Mistaya. It has a somewhat unique wiring system, in that it runs on two house batteries with a switch. The electrical system had a big upgrade done by the previous owner and it is working very well. I have upgraded it, as is my duty as a C-Dory owner, with some added devices, a second VHF radio and solar panels.

I basically run the boat on one battery and I switch over the Port to Starboard battery on a daily basis, so that I am charging one battery while cruising and using it as my house battery. This way I always have a fully charged battery for the next day.

I added two 10w solar panels to work mainly as trickle chargers for the batteries. These are mounted on top of my radar arch. I also have two 30w flexible panels that I can plug in. I can either tie these onto the top of the boat or more commonly onto the kayaks I carry up there. I have never had a problem with a lack of electricity in my batteries. I have a switch on my solar panels so that I can charge either of the batteries or both. Most of the time it is set to charge both.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: