View previous topic :: View next topic  
spuncopper

City/Region: Camden/ Lake Wateree
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sock Monkey
Photos: Sock Monkey
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Moeller 6 Gal. Topside Gas Tanks Reply with quote

Hey gang,

I purchased a Moeller 6 Gal. Topside Gas Tank a few months back. The first couple of times I used it the weather was in 80's with water temp in the 70's.

This past week, we went out in the morning and everything was fine. On the way back in the air temp. was 100-101 degrees F and the surface water temp. was 92 degrees F.

We were on plane and the engine (2007 Suzuki DF 50) suddenly shut down. It re-started but died as soon as I tried to go on plane. Started checking fuel connection and discovered the Moeller Tank looked like a fat sausage. Opened the cap and relieved the pressure, checked to make sure the vent was open, as per Moeller instructions. Started engine, put it in gear and it died. Shifted to the 6 gal. Suzuki tank, started engine and let it fast idle for a few minutes and came on home.

When I got home, the Moeller tank, once again, looked like a sausage. Went on line and found a number of the same complaints I had. Has any of the C-Brats had this problem?

Thanks!
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small gas can for my generator. It is also Moeller (like a lot of them). It does the same thing.

Apparently there is some EPA rule that requires this now. It is supposed to prevent the escape of gasoline vapors so the tanks are sealed when not in use.

When people see their tanks looking like they might burst, they immediately release the pressure, which releases the vapors. So I don't see that requiring portable tanks to be sealed actually is going to help that much.

The other thing I see is that old tanks might vent a little gas vapor at a time when they warm up, newer tanks tend to release a larger amount of vapor all at once when they are opened. This relatively large venting of gasoline vapors seems like a greater hazard.
spuncopper

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ssobol,

Moeller's instructions stated to expect some swelling as the tank is suppose to vent after 7 PSI. However, it didn't and for whatever reason it caused a loss of power. I've e-mailed Moeller and am waiting a response.

When I say the tank looked like a sausage, it was almost totally round, to me that's a little excessive. The Suzuki tanks that came with the boat and engine have swollen when the vent were closed, but nothing like this.

An internet search revealed several complaints concerning this with the same problem I had, loss of power.

Thanks for the input.
Smile
ssobol

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spuncopper wrote:
...When I say the tank looked like a sausage, it was almost totally round, to me that's a little excessive. ...

Mine does the same thing. I have to vent it when it gets like that because I don't want it to split. It may not, but it certainly looks like it will.
spuncopper

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ssobol, but it doesn't resolve the problem of why I loss power. And, I can't see stopping every five minutes to vent the damn thing. So far Moeller has not responded to what I (and others) consider a dangerous product.

I reckon someone (probably someone rich or powerful or one of their children/grandchildren) will have to die in fiery explosion before anything gets done...but it's not going to be me.
ssobol

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spuncopper wrote:
Thanks ssobol, but it doesn't resolve the problem of why I loss power. And, I can't see stopping every five minutes to vent the damn thing. So far Moeller has not responded to what I (and others) consider a dangerous product.

I reckon someone (probably someone rich or powerful or one of their children/grandchildren) will have to die in fiery explosion before anything gets done...but it's not going to be me.

You could just add a vent. Probably illegal to do so though (esp. in CA).

https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Fuel-Gas-Can-Vent/dp/B00SEK6XN6/ref=asc_df_B00SEK6XN6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198065480126&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12230206306621017000&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030753&hvtargid=pla-391617691169&psc=1

https://www.walmart.com/ip/10-Pack-Yellow-Fuel-Gas-Can-Vent-Caps-Chilton-Blitz-Briggs-Rotopax-Gott-Yellow-Fuel-Gas-Can-Jug/803563335?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=2113&adid=22222222227277855098&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=336316432006&wl4=pla-704766214247&wl5=9030753&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=117446690&wl11=online&wl12=803563335&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2omdw5XB4gIVkuNkCh0K0whXEAQYAiABEgKfMvD_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/i/264003042488
spuncopper

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again ssobol. Hopefully, Moeller will respond. If not, I might do my on modification to the supplied gas cap. I purchased a replacement cap for my Suzuki that was the "newest epa complaint" cap that would fit my Suzuki tanks and I had to "modify" it to keep it from collapsing the tank. Or, I'll only use the Moeller tank in fall and winter.
ssobol

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a package of vents. Going to fix my portable tank as soon as they arrive.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Moeller 6 Gal. Topside Gas Tanks Reply with quote

spuncopper wrote:
Hey gang,

I purchased a Moeller 6 Gal. Topside Gas Tank a few months back. The first couple of times I used it the weather was in 80's with water temp in the 70's.

This past week, we went out in the morning and everything was fine. On the way back in the air temp. was 100-101 degrees F and the surface water temp. was 92 degrees F.

We were on plane and the engine (2007 Suzuki DF 50) suddenly shut down. It re-started but died as soon as I tried to go on plane. Started checking fuel connection and discovered the Moeller Tank looked like a fat sausage. Opened the cap and relieved the pressure, checked to make sure the vent was open, as per Moeller instructions. Started engine, put it in gear and it died. Shifted to the 6 gal. Suzuki tank, started engine and let it fast idle for a few minutes and came on home.

When I got home, the Moeller tank, once again, looked like a sausage. Went on line and found a number of the same complaints I had. Has any of the C-Brats had this problem?

Thanks!

Why not buy a manually vented cap & move on? Rolling Eyes Beer
spuncopper

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Moeller 6 Gal. Topside Gas Tanks Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
spuncopper wrote:
Hey gang,

Thanks!

Why not buy a manually vented cap & move on? Rolling Eyes Beer

Because I'm tired of buying products for $100.00 or more dollars and it not work right; and when I attempt to notify the company I don't get a response. I'll move on, all right but first I'll attempt to make them answer me. Secondly I join the posts with other folks who have complained with the same problem and thirdly that can be used for someone who may get hurt sue the crap out of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: