View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Maneuvering with your anchor Reply with quote

We’ve all had a few situations where docking has been made difficult due to environmental conditions. The standard advice I hear given out is
1. Come in faster thus increasing your vector relative to the environmental vector and get a line on in a hurry. I don’t like this cause I don’t like coming in hot and I don’t like relying on my deck hand to get a line on quickly.
2. Come in into the environment if there is room to and then get a line on and work off of it. I prefer this method but sometimes there isn’t room to come stem into a dock and swing the stern in while working off of a bow line.
My problem usually has to a do with coming alongside a dock with a wind on the beam blowing me off. So I’m thinking of trying something that I’ve only done in a simulator and read about in ship handling books; dredge my bow anchor. By paying out the bow anchor 1.5-2x water depth and driving ahead on it, dragging it through the mud, the center of rotation is around the bow. Has anyone ever tried this on their boat?

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- If the docks are floating there may be their own anchors or mooring cables under water that your anchor can snag on.

- You anchor could set hard at a bad time or place.

- You may not be able to predict the bottom depth or it could vary which would make letting out the appropriate amount of rode difficult. I expect that in marinas in the PNW, the depth under the docks varies a lot.

- On a ship or large yacht, the distance to the bow is quite a bit longer than a C-Dory and so the change in pivot point is significant.

- I find backing in often gives more control than going in bow first.

- One of these can help a lot: https://www.amazon.com/Boat-Loop-Long-Standard/dp/B00AS0264A/ref=asc_df_B00AS0264A/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242003239192&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2230569016886765201&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030753&hvtargid=pla-569182495179&th=1&psc=1
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have those concerns plus the fact that many marinas have been re-built any number of times (esp in hurricane country). Hooking old construction or demolition debris could present a problem, and marina management is concerned only about sailboat keel draft, not boaters "anchoring" at the docks.

Interesting concept that might work elsewhere. Never heard of it.

We have to wedge the boat between the next slips piling and our short finger pier in 10-15k of beam wind most every outing. Not pretty, but controlled at under 1200RPM vs using engine power alone without the wedging.

Thanks for sharing!
John

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moored for many years at what had once been the Seattle Yacht Club. After dropping something overboard on day, I put on my scuba gear and went after it. Lots of old appliances (fridges and stoves), batteries of various sizes, a toilet, and a rather nice fiberglass dinghy. I found my chisel. No way I would drop an anchor in a marina (unless I wanted to go for a dive).

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used "Brest anchors" on our large sailboats for docking and undocking. Usually this is dropped abeam as we proceed untoward the intended space. It can be used to pivot the boat--being run thru a snatch block amidships, as well as checking the speed. When leaving, we would use a winch to pull the boat straight off the dock---useful especially in heavy winds for both docking and de docking. Not sure how usable it would be in a C Dory--but certainly could be explored.

Debris is certainly an issue. Be prepared to go diving or loose the anchor...We have always retrieved ours by diving...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad, (And hey, it is nice to actually know who - the real person - is on the other end of this), You have TWINS. Take your time, use both engines to their and your advantage (split shifting, F&R).

AND, yes, backing in, especially in an off dock wind, is a great plus. Bring it in on a 30 - 40 degree angle until the near side corner is close enough to catch a cleat and secure a line. Then put the off dock engine into forward (Idle or close) and push the bow over to the dock. You can probably do this even without securing to the dock until you are parallel, but single handing, I secure to the dock (I guess,) depending on the wind.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey! the real problem with the tomcat in the backing in at an angle scenario is that your outboards are so far outboard that you have to be very careful about not letting them contact the dock. I agree, working off a stern line is a great way to bring the bow in.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmetzenberg wrote:
Hi Harvey! the real problem with the tomcat in the backing in at an angle scenario is that your outboards are so far outboard that you have to be very careful about not letting them contact the dock. I agree, working off a stern line is a great way to bring the bow in.

Conrad, I should have decreased the angle for the TomCat to a 20-25. Whatever it takes to get within 2 or 3 feet of the dock should work. If you still have some of that backing momentum on as you start that off dock engine into forward, you can be backing toward the dock as the bow comes around to parallel. It will look really cool, like you planned it Cool

BTW, I agree, I don't much like your option #1 in the original post.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: