The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

need to pump out gas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Slug

City/Region: Ventura
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: need to pump out gas Reply with quote

Hi folks,
I have a 2004 C-Dory that's new to me. Unfortunately there's apparently water in fuel system. I've pulled the carbs and cleaned em, replaced sparks, etc. I'm new to all of this!
Tonight I went to pump all the gas out of the tanks so as to make sure there isn't a contaminated gas issue. I figured this would be as simple as running a hose down the gas intake and pumping with a hand pump. But it seems there's a filter where the hose meets the tank and I can't get my line in there.
Any suggestions?
Thank you,
C
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the fuel fill hoses on my '08. There was no filter in the hose. It is possible that there is one in the top of the tank, but I did not notice it.

Can't you suck out the fuel by using the fuel pickup? Open the line where it goes into the Racor filter and pump it out from there. Any water should be at the bottom of the tank, so you should only have to pump out til you are just getting gas. The rest of the fuel should be fine.

The filler hose makes a couple of 90 degree bends. I'm guessing that your siphon hose is get caught on the lip of the tank fill port when you try to shove it in. You could try cutting the end of the siphon hose at a 60 deg angle and then inserting it. If it doesn't go down the first time twist the hose ~90 and try again. Keep turning the hose until you get it past the neck. It may also depend on how flexible your siphon hose is.

You could also take the filler hose off the top of the tank and insert the siphon. However, this would be a bit of a PITA.
C-Slug

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and happy Memorial Day!
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me remind everyone that water will congregate in the bottom of a tank, since it's heavier than gas. If you siphon out the gas with a hose shoved in through the filler, there can still be water at the bottom of the tank since you can't guarantee that the hose will be at the bottom.

I use a water dispersant, such as STP Gas Treatment. This stuff has no alcohol but will allow the water to mix with the gas and be burnt in the engine. Most of the other stuff is based on alcohol and that's what caused the problem in the first place. It's worked for me in trucks, boats and cars.

So, drain the tanks and then throw a bottle of STP Gas Treatment or equivalent in and then refill your tanks. I use it on a yearly basis, since the C-Dory tanks aren't sealed, allowing them to breath.

Boris
C-Slug

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Boris.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris gives a good suggestion. We use a small 12 volt auto fuel pump to remove fuel from our C Dory tanks, thru the draw tubes. We have the pump away from the boat, and use a hose barb to hose barb to connect the boat's fuel hose, disconnected from where it enters the motor. Pump into 5 gallon cans for proper disposal. We use a separate small battery, and keep any inflammable fumes, or potential sparks well away from the boat.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem trying to syphon the gas out of my tanks. What I do now is remove the fuel line from the engine. Add a couple of feet of hose and run the hose through the drain hole on the splash well into a gerry can. A few pumps and the fuel starts flowing and I use it up in my car.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: