The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

worth of a 16' cruiser

View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverdude66

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: worth of a 16' cruiser Reply with quote

I am new to the Dory world, and joined C Brats to become more knowledgeable with these awesome boats. Anyways, I was wondering what the value of a Dory 16' Cruiser would be worth just the hull and trailer? If anything. The hull and glass windows are good on the boat but everything else like window gaskets and the interior are totally roached. The wiring checks out but the boat doesn't come with motors. It has been sitting outside for many years and seems like an older model. I have the time to breathe life back into this thing, I just don't know what it worth. Being that I would have to redo the whole interior, is it even worth reviving?
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much are they asking?

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: worth of a 16' cruiser Reply with quote

silverdude66 wrote:
I am new to the Dory world, and joined C Brats to become more knowledgeable with these awesome boats. Anyways, I was wondering what the value of a Dory 16' Cruiser would be worth just the hull and trailer? If anything. The hull and glass windows are good on the boat but everything else like window gaskets and the interior are totally roached. The wiring checks out but the boat doesn't come with motors. It has been sitting outside for many years and seems like an older model. I have the time to breathe life back into this thing, I just don't know what it worth. Being that I would have to redo the whole interior, is it even worth reviving?

I considered building a boat some years ago. When talking to a man who built a stunning Herreshoff Mobjac ketch, he asked the question... Do you want to build a boat, or do you want to boat? I bought a boat. I think you will need to factor that into your decision.

If the core has become saturated in its years outside, you’re in for quite a bit of work. Can the window gaskets be sourced? Total interior redo... Motor.

My guess is you’re going to be into the boat for close to the cost of one in good order. I wouldn’t give more than $500.00 for it.

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out my photo album before you decide what it is worth (other albums and other sites on the internet will show similar repairs.) Balsa core issues are probably the least obvious and most time/money consuming aspect of fixing up an old C Dory. Just finding somebody who can survey it properly might be a challenge. If you can't do the work yourself, relatively small issues can double the cost of a CD 16 hull. I don't mean to discourage, only to point out what might be a challenge.

Mark

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Balsa-Core-Repair&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JimTid

City/Region: Jacksonville
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Lucy
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Good information concerning wet balsa Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the time to share your repair experience. This is helpful information for anyone looking to buy an old balsa cored boat.
JimTid

City/Region: Jacksonville
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Lucy
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Good information concerning wet balsa Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the time to share your repair experience. This is helpful information for anyone looking to buy an old balsa cored boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: