The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hydraulic Steering Selection Advice Please: CD 22 w/90 Honda
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the reply i recieved from telefix about Baystar Hydraulic Steering and it's compatibility with an auto pilot.

Hi Remi

The Baystar kit is part number HK4200A (comes with HC4645H cylinder, helm HH4314 and 20’ tubing HT4420H, plus 2 quarts of oil). You would purchase the spacer kit separately HO5090. You can purchase the Baystar kit from your local Marine Dealer. Unfortunately the Baystar system is not auto pilot compatible.

Best regards,

Teleflex Canada Customer Service

3831 No. 6 Rd Richmond BC V6V1P6

www.teleflexmarine.com
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tug,

What you're running into here is a the technical issue of working with a corporation and not a technical issue with the physical parts.

When BayStar first came out we started using them on C-Dory 22s both with single and twin engines and with and without autopilots. Receiving the very first BayStar kit resulted in an immediate call to SeaStar steering (Teleflex) to find out why they said we couldn't use the BayStar system on with twins or with an autopilot. Thankfully I had gotten to know the techs in BC pretty well over the years so I felt I could count on a straight answer and I got one.

The situation is that when the BayStar system was developed it was to fill the need for a hydraulic steering system for smaller boats and at a much lower price than their SeaStar system; boats that traditionally (and typically) do not have twins and/or autopilots so Teleflex had no motivation to develop kits for that use. Because they don't supply kits to add a second station or autopilot, and because they don't make a tie-bar for twin engine installations for BayStar steering cylinders, their corporate position is that the BayStar isn't intended for that use. In other words, if you choose to install an autopilot and/or twins they can't tell you how to do it or support it because they don't make kits to support that use (or write instructions for on how to do it).

It is not a physical limitation of the hardware itself, just the lack of support (purposely) by Teleflex. They told me right up front that if I could develop the means to add in an autopilot or how to arrange a tie bar for twins that they had no issues with the steering system being used in that way. In fact, the BayStar helm does come equipped with the third port that the balancing line to the autopilot pump needs (just as it is on the SeaStar system).

If you decide to mount the S1000 steering pump as suggested in the S1000 kit you'll have everything you need for a successful install. If you decide to mount the S1000 steering pump at the transom it will take a Teleflex HF5501 Add-A-Station kit and a bit of wire (to lengthen the wires from the S1000 brain box to the steering pump).

We've been installing BayStar with twins and autopilots for around 10 years now without issues. The early BayStar helms (molded material) did require resealing more often than should have been the case; the new helms are aluminum and hold up much better. We also have to replace seals in the SeaStar helms so they're not immune by any means.

Hope this will help you with your project.

Regards,

Les

www.marinautboats.com
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les, i was surprised by their response seeing that many people including yourself install auto pilots using the BayStar Hydraulic Steering System. Thanks for the information and clearing things up. Tug
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am ready to upgrade our ‘99 22’ Cruiser with hydraulic steering. I’ve read the existing threads and am just checking to see if anyone has any updated information as the previous comments are a few years old. I do not intend to add autopilot at this time but may in the future. I read that the less expensive Baystar kit can accommodate autopilot so intend to go with that. eBay or Fisheries Supply were suggested as good sources. As always, any advice is much appreciated. Thanks, Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: