The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C Dory 25 vs. C Dort 26

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogerJuntunen

City/Region: Rupert, ID
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: In Cahoots - Idaho
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: C Dory 25 vs. C Dort 26 Reply with quote

Hi to the C Brats- the best bunch of people this side of Finland! While at the Anacortes boat show I became interested in the CD 26 on display. Does anyone have any thoughts on a comparison of the Two boats? We own a 25 {In Cahoots} and I thought that was it for us. Now I'm not so sure. The 26 seems to have a lot of features that the 25 lacks, and a more KISS method in a lot of areas, that would make it more user friendly. Water tank, fuel, bilge\ etc. Also a bit more hull shape to my liking but not too much. I don't think they have sold many, and I don't know why? what is the nearest competition for this boat? Maybe something from C-Sport which is a lot different hull shape or the 22and 23 C-dory? I know the 22 C-Dory is the real deal all the way around. Roger Juntunen See you on the water!
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this will help:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=26353
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: C-Dort?? Reply with quote

Shucks, thought there was a new boat called a C-Dort!!!
Bob
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 26 Venture is the cream of the C Dory crop IMHO. But I don't know if I'd call it drastically different than the 25. Its a tad bigger, a tad more stout, a slightly different interior layout and some minor hull differences.

The 26V is an amazing boat but I wouldn't upgrade from a 25 to a 26. Seems like a minor upgrade.

Im sure the 26 guys will chime in!

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prior posts in 2018 pretty much cover the differences. Note that when I went back to a 25/26, I could have bought a 26, having already owning a 25. I have ridden on several 26's, I have surveyed in detail, two 26's.

I also didn't buy a Ranger 23/27 outboard boat--some what for the same reasons.

For my use, I prefer the more spartan interior (note I believe that you can now get the more spartan interior on the 26). The difference in dead rise is so minimal, that I doubt that anyone can tell the difference in ride. If you want the best ride, with the same layout--then the Tom Cat is the boat.

Difference in dimensions is 4" more in the cockpit of the 26 (again noted in the prior post).

have a microwave and refer plus freezer in the 25. I have removed the bulkhead on the port side of the 25. For me, this gave a better boat for access to the berth.

I don't see the bilge in the cabin as an asset. My cabin sole is free of water. I have seen water in the bilge of several of the Venture 26. Boats. (source is an issue?)

If you don't like the 25, then I doubt that you will find much difference in the 26. More to the point, is what don't you like in the 25? The water capacity is very close to the same. The fuel is exactly the same, the HP is the same. The economy will be very close to the same. If the ride is an issue--then consider some modification of how your run the boat. I feel that Permatrims are almost essential, as well as the trim tabs. The 200 hp does better on both boats.

If you want a deeper V--and fancier interior, then consider the Ranger Tug 23 (closer to 27 or the 27, closer to 30, because of the outboard brackets). Yes the Sea Sport is a much deeper V--and requires more HP--they make some fantastic boats. There is always a trade off with deeper V--more draft, a bit different motion (more at rest in. a sea), more fuel, and perhaps a little more difficult to launch--less likely to go stern to a bank or shore--as the C Dory excels at. But a better ride. To get the best ride in a deep V you have to go above 22*--preferably 26*--much different than the C Dory, but the Tom Cat gives a comparable ride at least up to about 3' seas.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna a bigger C-Dory; 26' v 25'? Won't find it here.
You can only cram so much into a given space.
One foot isn't a logical consideration, ignoring taste.

A bigger boat 'feel' will have more freeboard than
either the above C-Dorys of equal LOA.

Like the Sea Sport.

It's a matter of preference v dollars.

The rest is window dressing.

Aye.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the history. The 23 and 26 were designed to be direct competition to the C-Dory 22 and 25. Yes, both had what was promoted to be "modernization" of the classic 22 and 25. Even the courts agreed with that assessment, in a fight that left both sides financial losers. And in the end, the molds for the 23 and 26 went to the then owners of C-Dory. It wasn't like a business decision was made by the original company to offer all 4 models... getting the molds in the court fight kept someone else from being able to "produce the same boat."

From my perspective, there isn't a good business reason for the same company to build the 22/23 and the 25/26. They tried offering the 23 and 26 with an upgraded interior to set them apart... but, they are still more the same boat than they are different.

Now as a new buyer, it is nice to have that choice. But realistically, a new buyer is going to pick a 22 OR a 23, a 25 OR a 26. All are good boats. The 22 and the 25 are very different boats... the 25 and 26, not so much.

To me, going from a 25 to a 26 is pretty much a lateral move. They are so close to being the same boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: