The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Do I hold the record for propeller spun hubs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Do I hold the record for propeller spun hubs? Reply with quote

Four spun hubs on three different propellers in less than 9 moths on my Cd-25 with Yamaha F200XB. How does this happen? I’m pretty sure I know the answer.

It all started when I repowered the C-Otter with the new 4 stroke replacing the 200 HPDI 2 stroke. I reused the Yamaha painted steel 17 pitch prop. It was good with standard loads but when heavy just OK. No problem getting on plain. Spun that one out about 120 hours later so changed it to the spare 13P Turbo I had for a spare and promptly spun that hub also. Displacement speed and the kicker got me to the boat ramp.

The next day I put on a Mercury 17P aluminum prop and that worked fine. So off to the prop shop to get the two spun hubs replaced. He said the Turbo had a light hun design and not to use it with the 200. The other he rebuilt. He also had a new Yamaha 15P painted stainless that I could buy. He looked at the hardware I brought along including the spacer and said all was well.

I bought the new prop from him and it chattered like crazy and the hub spun out after 20 hours! The propeller shop agreed to rebuilt the prop for no charge. I broke in all the new hubs as directed. The rebuilt prop still chatters a bit but much better, The rebuilt prop spins out about 80 hours later.

Ok..put on one of the two spares I am now carrying and decided to order a new Yamaha Reliance Prop with SDS. The new series uses a standard prop spacer. So I already have a prop spacer but wait the outside diameter is smaller than the normal propeller spacer.

The spacer I had could allow the heat of the Exhaust to enter the hub and heat up the rubber hub. The new one that I finally bought filled the area on the back of the hub completely! My guess is that the new spacer will fix my problem.

The prop shop and the dealer that did the engine swap did not notice anything
wrong with the smaller spacer. I recently looked at a boat yard and nobody had the smaller spacer on a Yamaha. $30 spacer and problem solved.....I hope 😊

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put C-Otter on a diet! lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Propellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: