The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cockpit Boat Hook Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hewbs

City/Region: Eagle River
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Seņor
Photos: Hewbs
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Cockpit Boat Hook Holder Reply with quote

I saw a C-Dory for sale here last fall that had a boat hook holder mounted to the side of the cockpit wall which looked like a good way to save limited space.

Picture attached.

They sell the hooks at West Marine but I am not sure of the best way to install them. Does this area have a balsa core that will need to be undercut and filled with epoxy prior to screwing in? Or do you think it would be best to attach with marine adhesive?

Thanks for the help!
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hewbs,
Remove the 14 screws in that moulded gunnel box and pull it out. Feel around below it or look with mirror to make sure you aren't drilling into a 12v or 110v or N2K backbone or water line or (most interesting of all) a gas hose etc.

We use those holders in that position. Our liner there is 1/4 fiberglass and I used SS screws as nylocks and bolts are tough to retrieve there when dropped.

Avoid drilling holes in a perfectly good floating boat unless you know exactly what is behind there.

Happy drilling!I

John

Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my Tom Cat the sides is the cockpit are thin fiberglass. A bolt thru with the Gunnel box removed it is an easy install. I agree with Gulfcoasrt John this is the easiest means to fasten hangers securely

Gene

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a 22 you will be drilling into the side of the hull. I don't know the thickness there, but I don't think it is that much and is probably solid glass.

I mounted similar hangers for my boat hook across the transom below the cutout. I used the existing holes and bolts that hold the fuel tank covers to secure the hooks. My hook is easy to get no matter which side of the cockpit you are on.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same thing on my boat. I purchased two plastic stick on hooks from any home hardware store. Peeled off the sticky backs and threw those away. Used "Marine Goop", most chandlers and Canadian Tire, and stuck the hooks in place. They were perfect, no problems and no holes. 18 months later I wanted to remove them. A stiff metal spatula and a bit of patience working them off. Perfect.

Martin.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW. Check out my photos under "mods" and you will see them.

Martin.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not drill holes in the hull--it is about 1/4" thick there. If you want to screw the hooks in place. then epoxy a piece of PVC lumber or wood in place. Put the screws into the "lumber". I rough up the back side of the "lumber" and the gel coat/paint on the inside of the hull, in s small place where you want to apply the block. (Masking tape can delineate the area you want to sand, just under the block.). I put the epoxy on the back of the "lumber"--and a little on the inside of the hull. I use hot glue around the edges to hold the "lumber" in place until the epoxy sets.

On our 25, we have two boat hooks. One is right inside the door, on the Starboard side--held upright by a couple of clips which are just the size for the handle. The second is in the head, held in place by a wrap of velcro. When doing locks and iffy docking, two boat hooks are handy.

Having the boat hook under the gunnel box is a good idea, in that it is less likely to be knocked off hooks, yet still handy. In side the boat hook is always in its place, but out of the way of "sticky fingers"....

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: