RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Headset Reply with quote

I recently had surgery on my larynx which has effected my ability to communicate while underway on our boat. In response to this we are in the market for a good 2-way headset system that will allow us to communicate while underway and specifically coordinate while docking, etc. I know some Brats use such devices and I am looking for any brands and/or model recommendations you might care to offer. Thanks!!

Rob
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, I hope your surgery was/is successful. I have seen folks use the 2 way headsets on bigger boats, but have not tried any or know of anyone on the C-Dorys that use them. Good luck in your search.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
I don't think there is much to decide except between these two:

We have used the older EarTec ‘marriage saver’ model for 8 years (with a single ear headpiece and hard-wired radio module, which we wear around our necks in a Velcro pouch). Their new model is a nice all in one headset.

You want ‘full duplex’ meaning you can both talk at the same time, like a cell phone (not like a VHF or Family radio push to talk radio where one person is talking and ‘stepping on’ the talk of the other). You want hands-free with no buttons to push once both units are powered up. You want only ONE ear to be covered, so you can hear your VHF, other deckhands etc talking with the other ear. You want both your hearing aids in (this I never do on the boat, the little buggers are too expensive to be falling into salt water).
Panbo article on this topic:

https://www.panbo.com/full-duplex-wireless-headsets-truly-marriage-savers/

There are some Bluetooth cellphone headsets for motorcycles etc that you might research, but make sure you meet the above criteria to make it work well. They all cover both ears and Bluetooth range is only about 30 feet. You want to hear her in the parking lot when you’re on the boat.

At 8 years, we figure our EarTecs have way more than paid for themselves. Although I never expect over 4 years from any rechargeable battery, these are still good for 4 hours min (and can be replaced).
There is an article in one of our throw-away boating mags on this with the same conclusions as Panbo.

Best of luck on your search, and let us know what you find that best meets your needs.

See ya on the water! (Hearing you is a different issue).
John

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also have the EarTec Head sets--not cheap--but excellent sound and great way to communicate. Not only boaters but motor homers, use these all of the time.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the comments. I had made a similar post on Tugnuts and they also unanimously recommended EarTech. Because we also have a travel trailer I anticipate multiple use of these. I had not fully understood some of the technical aspects but I do now thanks to your assistance. Looks like money well spent for us since it will assure my wife can hear me when the motor is running, plus they will make the backing up of our travel trailer easier when she is outside guiding me into a space. Thanks folks!

Rob
beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both the Eartec's and the Senas SPH10s. I prefer the Senas. They use bluetooth so the range isn't quite as good as the Eartec's, but unless you have a 100' yacht, they are crystal clear. I mainly prefer the fact that they go around the back of your head and don't interfere with a hat. They also pair to your phone so you don't have to take of the headset to answer a call.

Both are great though for the intended purpose.

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: