The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-Dory vs Class B RV
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish Catcher Jim wrote:
Thought I would throw this out and see what bites!

We have been looking at trawlers and class c and b and boats for years now. Nothing seemed to cover all angles, that is until we decided a Class B would work size wise. Lol then towing becomes an issue.

I said all that to say this.
1ton dually and a 26 Venture makes perfect sense.

Looking to go full time so when we decide its Alaska and BC time we can drive and use the Dory as a camper.

Now then how are the tank (s) set up to empty? Pump out only?
Can a macerator be added and used at an rv dump station?

Totally Serious Here.
Thanks,
Jim

Hi Jim,

The "water issues" are the only downside (my perspective) of using a 26 Venture as a land cruiser. That said, you can make it work - just know that none of the solutions we came up with were "elegant."

You can use the macerator to pump out at an RV dump station. We tried various "adapters" but no easy way to adapt the macerator output (about an inch and a half) on the boat to the typical 4" RV sewer hose. Make a mess at an RV dump site (or even worse, in a nice RV park) and you will not be welcome back. RV parks don't allow the dumping of gray water on the ground, and the C-Dorys are plumbed so the sink/shower output goes overboard. You can use a dishpan in the sink and use campground shower facilities (our solution), but that (again, to me) isn't really "RVing."

On more than one occasion, we found a marina along the way where we could launch the boat, pump out the holding tank, enjoy a few nights on a lake (at anchor or in a marina), then load up and keep land cruising.

An electrical adapter to attach your 30 amp electrical to 30 RV pedestal works fine.

Again, personal perspective: a one ton dually is over-kill for hauling a 26-Venture. A 3/4 ton will give you a better ride, and single rear wheels are much easier to live with for a daily driver as well as less slippery on a boat ramp. A dually is necessary if you have a lot of weight in the bed (as with a 5th wheel trailer with a heavy pin weight, or a slide-in camper).

When we first ordered our CD-25, we had a Class B campervan (one ton Dodge chassis) that we thought would be a great match-up. The actual weight of the boat (compared to factory specs) was more than the towing capacity... so, we bought a 3/4 ton diesel truck for hauling the boat and kept the Class B for just land cruising.

Some compromises to be made with trying to do land and water cruising with the same conveyance, but there is as LOT of land and water out there to enjoy! Good luck with the decisions.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journey On is a 25' C-Dory and doubles as a rv and better yet, as a boat.

The only RV parks where we've been refused is one south of Campbell River and the KOA in Las Vegas. Both times that was a blessing because we found better solutions.

Emptying the poop tank is easy. I found a 3" rubber elbow with a lip on one end at a RV parts place. I attach a normal pumpout hose on one end, place the lip end over the overboard fitting and have Judy turn on the macerator. All flows gently into the RV park pumpout. Pay attention, if that elbow slips, there's a mess.

For the grey water, I made a PVC fitting that fits inside the sink overboard, attached a garden hose to the other end and lead the hose to a 5 gal can. To make the fitting, turn down one end of a PVC nipple and slot it so that it will fit.

Boris
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Sharp-
When did you get your CD22? I see from your side bar info that you have a CD22 and a photo album with pics of the boat "C-SHARP"

C-Sharp
City/Region: Eastsound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C Sharp
Photos: C-Sharp

Looks like a nice boat.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger,
Bought C Sharp in AZ (where we winter) last January, and hauled it up to Orcas Island in April. Still sorting it out, but plan on attending the CBGT in Friday Harbor the weekend after next. So far I really like it!

- Steve
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The liquids are a bit of a problem, when "Boater Homing'. We have used a 2 1/2 gallon container with the sink hose hooked up to it, and then taking that to dump into the sewer. The porti potty covers the septic side of it--in the 22's and 23's. We have a composting toilet in the 25, so that does not require a holding tank. (The urine tank is discharged every 2 to 3 days into a toilet or sewer connection.)

I agree with those who feel that a 3/4 ton--and not a dually--unless a very large camper. Less weight on each of rear tires--plus light pickup body--more traction in 4 by 4 3/4 ton. (or even just a 4 x 2). The GVCW is too much for most of the 1 ton Camper vans. I had a Road Trek on a 1 ton Dodge chassis--towing the 25, was marginal--I did it a few times short distances. The Tow capacity was 6800 lbs--but had to have pretty much empty class C. And the C Dory 25/ Venture 26 all weigh more than 6800 on the trailer.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was in your shoes, I would buy a C-Dory and if I decided to do a road trip without water involved, I would rent a Motor Home for the trip. You would probably end up money ahead depending on how much you used the RV.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both and having both is wonderful.

I have a Coachman Orion Class C Motorhome, that is about 20 ft (small for an RV), on the new Ford Transit van chassis. It drives like a car, fantastic for camping, hooks up and unhooks in about 5 minutes, very easy to fuel, better turing radius than my 3/4 ton GMC, and could almost be used as a daily driver. Much easier than towing a travel trailer or a boat and I have have a 125cc Yamaha scooter, that sits on the back of it, for transportation once I get there. It's the perfect camping setup for me.

That said if I could only have one I'd pick the 3/4 ton truck and the boat.

BUT, having both is wonderful Very Happy

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)

Last edited by ken35216 on Fri May 10, 2019 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: