The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fresh water pump Flow Jet 4125 114 Not Working Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hull#1

City/Region: Steilacoom
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: No Worries
Photos: Hull #1 Venture 23
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Fresh water pump Flow Jet 4125 114 Not Working Questions Reply with quote

Good Morning

I have a 2006 cape cruiser 23 Venture and the fresh water electric pump is not working. I pulled voltage at the wires at the pump connection so I have voltage. So I removed the pump and jumped the pump off the battery to see if I could here any clicking noise or any noise in general and couldn’t hear anything. Is the pump shot at this point or is there any other troubleshooting methods? Thanks

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe

Is check valve clear?

I dont have a pump drawing to check

I would further disassembly

maybe in pump
ruptured Switch Diaphragm
check valve

or
Bad Microswitch
Loose Wire at Switch

I would take apart until I can test the motor only with DVM and try to spin drive shaft

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.pentair.com/content/dam/extranet/brochures-and-catalogs/product-manuals/shurflo/SF_PumpTroubleShoot.pdf
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pumps have a pressure switch--that could be bad--jump around that directly to the motor. What brand is the pump--many have rebuild kits. Usually it is valves which give out, or diaphragms that fail, rather than motor.

If it is the pressure switch, replace that.

How much voltage at the pump--just saying "voltage" does not help a lot--it should be the same as the battery--12.7 volts.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some just trashed. Rusty with the motor fried. On our model it was mounted in the wet bilge. I've since raised it to get it up higher and they now last. Also freezing w/ water in the pump is the death blow. I've also rebuilt one w/ a new pressure switch, diaphragm etc. Take it apart and look. They are really simple. I now use Johnson ones, too. The Jabsco ones kept dying... Is it the brand or the getting it up, dry that made a difference? Who knows.
Hull#01

City/Region: Steilacoom,
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late night. Somehow I got locked out of my account and had it set up a new user ID. I disconnect the pump and have a voltage before the pump and jump the pump I don't hear anything. I thought I would hear a click or something maybe? I also see that troubleshooting PDF summary check that out right now as well.

It is the pump for the freshwater system, an adventure 23, and it is a flow jet model 4125-114 and they also notes similar to a Jabsco 31705-0092

It is unclear when you say jump at the motor you mean the wires coming out of the motor not taking it apart and jumping it internally?

Thanks much

Doug

Hull#01

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply. Somehow I got locked out of my account and had it set up a new user ID. I disconnect the pump and have a voltage before the pump and jump the pump I don't hear anything. I thought I would hear a click or something maybe?

It is the pump for the freshwater system, an adventure 23, and it is a flow jet model 4125-114 and they also note similar to a Jabsco 31705-0092

It is unclear when you say jump at the motor you mean the wires coming out of the motor not taking it apart and jumping it internally? I just tried again and I cant hear a single noise. Found a couple of U tube videos but they were not very helpful. Could bad pressure switches put it into a nonactivatable state? I am not familiar with the internal workings of these pumps. thanks much Doug

Thanks much

Doug
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hull;

The pressure switch will not allow the motor to activate unless there is a pressure required to put water through the system. Otherwise the pump would have to be turned on each time you need water. There is a switch under the end cap where the wiring comes out of the assembly. Remove the end cap and you should see that there is a switch. Bypass the switch and try to jump directly from the wires leading from the motor. I have had to replace the pump a couple of times and it was the motor that was faulty.

Gene

Hull#01

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene Morris wrote:
Hull;

The pressure switch will not allow the motor to activate unless there is a pressure required to put water through the system. Otherwise the pump would have to be turned on each time you need water. There is a switch under the end cap where the wiring comes out of the assembly. Remove the end cap and you should see that there is a switch. Bypass the switch and try to jump directly from the wires leading from the motor. I have had to replace the pump a couple of times and it was the motor that was faulty.

Gene

Thanks I will give this a try when I get home. I wonder if I was having a presssure problem with the whole system in the first place or maybe I am misunderstanding how the pump works. Is there a pressure test process for press water system? Thanks much
thataway

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a switch on the end of the pump. If there is no water pressure, the switch is closed, and current flows thru, causing the pump to operate. When the pressure gets to XX (usually 20 to 30 PSI) the switch opens, and the pump turns off. There is going to be a low point in pressure where the switch closes again--often 15 PSI--so it may cycle as the water is flowing.

It is being suggested that the switch be taken out of the loop. That is applying current to the motor--disconnected from the switch--the wire going out of the switch.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any luck Hull?

Our pump seems to have given out or the fuse went this weekend. I couldn't find the 15amp fuse outline in the diagram for our 2007 25 Cruiser. Does anyone know where the fuse is for a similar year?

Planning to test the voltage and pull the pump tonight for more troubleshooting! Fun times.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On ours I don't know of any fuse to the water pump, except the circuit breaker at the panel where the pump switches on.
thataway

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat has been re-wired, with larger fuse panel. It does have a fuse in the box, follow the red wire from the switch to the fuse box behind the console. This was the same set up as on my earlier 25 and the 255.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I stripped the wires just before the pump and there was 14V reading there so I pulled the pump, took it into my local marine shop where they removed the pressure switch and jumped started the pump on a battery. You can see the pressure switch on page three of the exploded view below.

Now I hope to put it all back together right tonight, just 5 more maintenance tasks left to do. Boat ownership!

https://www.pumpagents.com/pdf/JabscoPumps/31705-0092.pdf
thataway

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned a long time ago that one of the critical items on a boat with a pressure water system, was a spare pump. Usually one of ours would go out in the middle a passage when Marie was in the shower. I used spade connectors on the electrical for quick change out, and quick disconnect (most pumps have these now). We keep an extra pump under the galley--all ready to go--on our 25.

We also carry a "Water puppy" vane pump mounted on a starboard mount, with about 3' of 1/2" hose on each end, with battery clips on the power cord. This can pump fresh water out of the tank if necessary, bail out the dinghy, use to wash down the cockpit or anchor etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: