The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Idle too fast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cptvic

City/Region: Quarryville
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: c-pearl
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Idle too fast Reply with quote

After having our throttle and steering cables replaced because of of sheath craacking from exposure and tuned and winterized at dealer we have a too fast idle issue.We barely have to chock ig go start and its idling at 1100 after its warmed up stayed at 1400.thats too fast.we tried the idle set screw a d that didnt make much difference.we never had any problems like this before so am thinking it's the throttle cable.any advice on what to do?

[/i]
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely the lowest "set" position on the throttle cable is too far advanced. Not sure about your cable--but most have an adjustment, so it will go all of the way down. Your having worked with the idle screw setting and not solving the issue would confirm that. There may adjustment at both ends.

What outboard do you have? What set of cables did you use? (Teleflex?)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
cptvic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a 2006 honda 90. I do not know what kind of cable was used.Is adjusting this a difficult thing to do.we are trying to avoid having to pull a loaded boat out to take it back for them to adjust it if possible.However we also don't want to mess it up more.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cptvic wrote:
Its a 2006 honda 90. I do not know what kind of cable was used.Is adjusting this a difficult thing to do.we are trying to avoid having to pull a loaded boat out to take it back for them to adjust it if possible.However we also don't want to mess it up more.

Ever adjust a motorcycle brake cable? Bicycle brake cable? Exact same principle.
Google adjust honda 90 throttle cable?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAFCOnTS9_Y
Wink Beer[/url]

Last edited by tsturm on Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to pull the boat out to adjust the cable end fittings. I no longer have a manual for the Honda 90, but I looked in the shop manual for the 150, and it appears to have the same binnacle for shifter and throttle. At then end of the throttle linkage--near fast idle lever, there is adjustment for the throttle linkage. There is a brass threaded rod on the end of the cable, a lock nut and then the terminal piece of brass, with the hole which goes to the pin. That terminal link, should have a little slack in it. If there is no slack--then it is pulling the throttle cable terminus on the engine, to a faster idle. You should be able to adjust the throttle cable at the engine throttle plate also, with the same mechanism that you can at the binnacle.

My guess is that whoever installed the new cable did not properly adjust these linkages and the cable is pushing the idle up.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why would you take it back to a shop that cant do a job right. I would tell them to get over to your place and fix it. Part of installing a new part includes tuning it correctly. its a very easy thing to do your self . if you are lowering the idle screw and the rpm is not dropping you should be able to see space between the set screw and the stop because the cable is not allowing it to reach the stop.
cptvic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes we saw the screw backed off and wasnt touching.we are not sure the proper procedure for adjusting the cable.not real comfortable with getting into the throttle at the helm.can this be fixed at the attachment at engine. Forgive my ignorance.i'm sure its easy when you know what to do.
tsturm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cptvic wrote:
yes we saw the screw backed off and wasnt touching.we are not sure the proper procedure for adjusting the cable.not real comfortable with getting into the throttle at the helm.can this be fixed at the attachment at engine. Forgive my ignorance.i'm sure its easy when you know what to do.

Very little adjustment at the helm. Lots of adjustment at the engine. With the throttle lever in NEUTRAL, engine cover off find the cable attached to the throttle linkage. Follow it to where the cable housing(gray plastic covered part) is attached to the engine bracket, there will/should be two 8mm,5/16 nuts locking the cable housing to the bracket, loosen the lock nuts, move cable housing closer to linkage. If you get frustrated drive to the place you had the work done, grab the owner by the neck, take him to the boat & make him fix his shitty quality control. Wink Rolling Eyes Beer
cptvic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we will give this a go at weekend..and yes have thouhht about driving there and making them fix it while we wait..if we can't get it might have to.hopefully this will do the trick.i will post what happens,thanks for feedback and direction.
tsturm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cptvic wrote:
we will give this a go at weekend..and yes have thouhht about driving there and making them fix it while we wait..if we can't get it might have to.hopefully this will do the trick.i will post what happens,thanks for feedback and direction.

The plastic piece that snaps over the ball stud on the linkage is also adjustable & has a lock nut. There is also as DR. Bob said, a similar set up & some adjustment at the throttle lever end. After you are done make sure with the throttle pushed all the way forward the engine end will go to wide open throttle (engine off). & return to idle (650-700rpm)or so.
Have a good one!! Mr. Green
cptvic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i guess we are just dumb.we were not sure what to do.cables come into engine on portside to an assembly with screws then transverse to starboard side below the carbs 2 more sets of screws so didnt know what was to be adjusted.i guess we will see if either a local mechanic would do it(hopefully in the slip) or might have to make the other original shop make it right--anger they should but also not as much confidence on the work quality now. Grrr. Thanks everyone. To bad your all so far away!
tsturm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cptvic wrote:
well i guess we are just dumb.we were not sure what to do.cables come into engine on portside to an assembly with screws then transverse to starboard side below the carbs 2 more sets of screws so didnt know what was to be adjusted.i guess we will see if either a local mechanic would do it(hopefully in the slip) or might have to make the other original shop make it right--anger they should but also not as much confidence on the work quality now. Grrr. Thanks everyone. To bad your all so far away!

[url]

I was too generic with my description.
Remove this R clip, screw the piece the R clip goes in, up or down the cable, making it longer or shorter as nec. Beer [/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: