The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Mystery water in cabin
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Mystery water in cabin Reply with quote

I’m stumped. Since we’ve owned this boat, when it sits for a while and I haven’t been in it, I get inside the cabin and there’s fresh water on center of the floor. There’s also water in the cabinet with the water tank and it sits taller due to the curvature of the floor. I assumed the water tank or tubing was leaking. So I took the tank out and inspected it, and replaced all the tubing and the foot pump. Figured the problem was fixed. Well I just got in there to get the boat ready for the weekend and the water is again all over the floor. This time I hadn’t refilled the tank yet so I’ll that system was bone dry. The boat lives under a canvas full cover so it’s not getting rain water anywhere. It does have the raised cockpit floor, is it possible it’s coming from there? I’m at a loss at this point what it could be.
PaulNBriannaLynn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read about the screws in the brass keel guard causing water intrusion into the area of the berth. This is a saltwater boat, but did spend part of its life on a freshwater lake. I would have thought this water would be salty though if it’s coming from there. Any help is appreciated.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you suppose it's condensation water from the daily heat cycles?

The boat heats up during the day, exchanging some humid air with the outside, then cools off at night. The water in the air condenses on the cool walls and windows at night, then runs down to the floor. The next day the cycle repeats, but the water down on the floor stays cool and doesn't evaporate much. A few days later, you've got a pool on the floor without any explanation.

Is it humid in Georgia? Laughing Rose

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
PaulNBriannaLynn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humid in Georgia? It’s the only place where we drive to Florida in the summer to cool off Very Happy

That’s a pretty good theory! This time of year though it’s not humid, and hasn’t been all that warm. I just saturated two towels getting all that water up. If this was summer though you’d have me convinced
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat has the raised floor. The previous owner had an issue with water intrusion to the cabin when the boat was stored. He said it came in under the aft cabin bulkhead from the cockpit. He ended up using (he said) a lot of 3M 5000 to seal the gap between the raised cockpit floor and the bulkhead (there is a gap). This solved the intrusion problem.

When I got the boat it had a cover. I don't know if the PO had the intrusion problem when he had the cover on or not.

I just know that there is no intrusion any more. In one case we experienced a summer downpour overnight. Since there was two of us in the berth, the boat was slightly bow down. Instead of the water collecting at the sump in the back of the boat, it was all at the front of the cockpit against the bulkhead. There was a couple of inches of standing water but none of it got in. Leaving the berth and standing on the swim step got the water to the sump where the bilge pump handled it.
Ashley Lynn

City/Region: Panhandle
Vessel Name: Ashley Lynn
Photos: Ashley Lynn
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had similar issues. it seemed that i would get water under my raised cockpit floor from water from the bilge getting in through the screw holes that mounted the panels that cover the gas tanks on the 2007.

i made an inspection hole/cover in raised floor the remove and dry the water, sealed the screw holes better where the panels are mounted....fixed my problem

i have also resealed the seam where the cockpit bulkhead meets the floor, however, in my case, that wasn't the cause of my leak.

Boating, where its ok to play with your dinghy!
PaulNBriannaLynn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been helpful. I’m guessing the raised floor is my problem. The sealent or caulking against the cabin bulkhead is cracked and old. I’ll make an inspection port in the bilge and re caulk the cabin bulkhead joint and go from there. At this point it’s not a major inconvenience and won’t stop us from using it this weekend. It it’s on my list. Thanks guys!
pat.jack

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-renity
Photos: C-renity
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your raised floor is not the issue, there is one more possibility. I also had an issue with water in the center of the cabin floor. I tracked it down to the rub-rail. After hunting it down with no luck (I pursued the keel guard as mentioned earlier), I sat in the boat during a hard rain. It's amazing how much water accumulated by a small leak from a bolt that was not full sealed in the rub-rail. I had repaired our rub-rail (this is a well documented issue with the original rub-rail fasteners rusting and failing) and did not fully seal one bolt. Once I saw that was the issue, and fully sealed the one bolt, no more water in the cabin.
Best of luck.
Jack

Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the requisite Porta potty? Is it stored in the customary place between the cushions in the V berth? Is it’s fresh water tank cracked or leaking? Mine did.

It's something in the water!
ssobol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
This has been helpful. I’m guessing the raised floor is my problem. The sealent or caulking against the cabin bulkhead is cracked and old. I’ll make an inspection port in the bilge and re caulk the cabin bulkhead joint and go from there. At this point it’s not a major inconvenience and won’t stop us from using it this weekend. It it’s on my list. Thanks guys!

From the factory there is no sealant between the raised cockpit floor and the aft bulkhead. The molded floor has a rolled edge there. The gap I have seen is about 1/8 inch between the floor and the bulkhead. If not already done, I'd caulk the gap on the outside and also seal the inside edge.

The usual trick is to pour some water with food coloring in it into places you suspect a leak and see what happens.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i had similar issues. it seemed that i would get water under my raised cockpit floor from water from the bilge getting in through the screw holes that mounted the panels that cover the gas tanks on the 2007.

i made an inspection hole/cover in raised floor the remove and dry the water, sealed the screw holes better where the panels are mounted....fixed my problem

Bob, I also have a 2007 with the raised floor. The past several days I've removed and replaced that back panel and fuel tanks, so that I could access the trim tab actuator wiring, as I had to replace my actuators. Before replacing the tanks and that panel, I epoxied those screw holes, and have decided not to reinstall the two panel screws in the aft end of that raised floor. I am curious how you made an inspection hole/cover and wonder if you have any pictures of the fabrication? I also have the sealant along the raised floor and aft cabin bulkhead, but it seems to be intact. Thanks. Colby
Ashley Lynn

City/Region: Panhandle
Vessel Name: Ashley Lynn
Photos: Ashley Lynn
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith,

i don't have any pictures--looked in my files....and i have sold the boat.'

I made a circular inspection port towards the rear of the boat, on the raised floor within a couple inches of the edge of floor near the gas tanks.....just off the center of the floor (was told there could be a partition/stringer done the middle...towards starboard side. I cut a small hole first to verify i had a void.....then cut the hole using the hatch/porthole cover as a template.....i epoxied the exposed floor liner after my cut.

i know someone else on this site did something similar, as i copied their inspection port idea........hope this help
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a 22 in the water, at rest, normal trim; the water pools just before the bulkhead between the cabin and cockpit. Many boats have a hole thru this bulkhead, and the bilge pump installed under a step in the cabin. There can be leakage thru the aft bulkhead. When the boat is underway--especially on a plane, the water goes aft to the "sump" near the transom.

The bulkhead should be fully tabbed to the hull--ideally both on aft and forward sides of the bulkhead. This should be "waterproof". I have seen boats where the tabbing has failed, or was incomplete.

Other sources can be almost anywhere there is a hull penetration--from the hull to deck joint (the pop rivets which hold the extrusion on, are the source of the leak). In the area where the water tank is, this can be the deck fill plate hole, or the screws which attatch the deck plate fill. It could be the window (should see stains on the inside of the hull--and other areas. I have had leaks from the hand rails on the top or the aft bulkhead migrate to the floor. So look everywhere. Also the full cover may have some area which leaks and we don't realize it.

Certainly the full, non removable floor is an area which is often an issue in the boats which have this. There can be significant water trapped under this floor.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deja vu (in a not so good way). I used to have "mystery water" in my 25 on the salon floor (midway) and on the starboard near the window behind the Wallas.

In both instances it was fresh water and in both instances I never figured out where it came from.

In regards to the starboard window one: I would spray water from the outside ALL OVER the windows and there were no leaks!! So could rain be different?? Roof?

The salon floor was even weirder. I have no idea how fresh water could accumulate there.....

In the grand scheme of things I could care less. IF IT WAS SALT WATER THEN I WOULD"VE PERKED MY EARS UP.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
ssobol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
With a 22 in the water, at rest, normal trim; the water pools just before the bulkhead between the cabin and cockpit. Many boats have a hole thru this bulkhead, and the bilge pump installed under a step in the cabin. There can be leakage thru the aft bulkhead. When the boat is underway--especially on a plane, the water goes aft to the "sump" near the transom. ...

Starting in 07 or 08, the 22s don't have a step or pump inside the door to the cabin. My 08 doesn't have one. There should be no holes (intentional or otherwise) in the aft bulkhead to allow water flow if there is no sump in the cabin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: