The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Charger/Battery Monitor Recommendation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a great option for you battery watchers out there. I like the load visibility by device in particular. We still use a victron, but if I were buying now........

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2017/09/simarine_pico_good_ideas_in_battery_monitoring_more.html

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a bit of overkill for the C Dory, but certainly interesting technology.
For someone interested in simplicity the Balmar SmartGauge battery monitor is on sale at Defender as the Active Captain special of the week for $220--the lowest I have seen it.

Here.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victrons are less. 700's can be found under $2C. 600's even less (if you can find them).
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just purchased and installed a Victron 712. (Dr. Bob should be proud of me. lol!) But here's my question. I placed the shunt in my aft port lazarette where my house battery sits. As you know, with the original hatches, these compartments are not completely dry. I'm wondering if I should seal the shunt with some Quicksilver Corrosion Guard spray. While I don't believe water will drip down on it, there is still moisture to be found in that compartment after a rain or wash. (And remains so for sometime unless I open it up in the sun to dry out...) I asked Victron for an answer, but got some BS in their first reply.... ("Best to discuss issues like this with your local supplier or a nearby installer." Not sure what their reply will be to my I am the installer...just answer the question....) Colby
ssobol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Just purchased and installed a Victron 712. (Dr. Bob should be proud of me. lol!) But here's my question. I placed the shunt in my aft port lazarette where my house battery sits. As you know, with the original hatches, these compartments are not completely dry. I'm wondering if I should seal the shunt with some Quicksilver Corrosion Guard spray. While I don't believe water will drip down on it, there is still moisture to be found in that compartment after a rain or wash. (And remains so for sometime unless I open it up in the sun to dry out...) I asked Victron for an answer, but got some BS in their first reply.... ("Best to discuss issues like this with your local supplier or a nearby installer." Not sure what their reply will be to my I am the installer...just answer the question....) Colby

Or you could just change the hatches (like a lot of people do). I changed mine when I first got the boat and my compartments are dry all the time.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
colbysmith wrote:

Or you could just change the hatches (like a lot of people do). I changed mine when I first got the boat and my compartments are dry all the time.

Colby, IF you change those hatch covers you will always be thanking yourself. I too, did that as the first mod on my C-Dory. All dry now (unless I have them open in the rain).

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even before reading the above replies, my wife suggested the same thing. Next step is to go back in the files and find which covers folks were purchasing. Unless someone has the information before I get to it.

Ok, found the thread. Looks like the Imtra 40154 is what every one was getting. I found that specific model at an online dealer I've never used. However, I also found 40155 at Defender.com, which I'd prefer to use. The only difference I can see in these two model numbers is white vs. dream white. The 154 being dream white. Has anyone used the 155, or is the 154 a good color match?

Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some more research on past threads, and it looks like either color will work. Defender had them on sale ending tonight, so I went ahead and ordered. Hope everyone is still happy with these hatch covers that got them... Colby
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby-Sorry not to get back sooner, but we were in New Orleans...!!

The white is fine, and what I used. I had the shunt in that lazarett and no corrosion--you can and should use a non corrosive grease when you put the wires on the bolts. I used a piece of split heavy duty water hose, which I placed over the shunt, that way no accidental water would cause issues. It was large enough to arch over the shunt.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the large hose idea over it. But I think I will make a "rubber flap" to position over it. That and the new hatch covers should keep it dry. Thanks for the info on the White. Colby
JeffKelly68

City/Region: Jacksonville
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Figured this could be the right place to post this question. I'm in the market for a new battery charger, looking for a marine supply that has good prices. Wanted to see if you had any recommendations

My first choice is the usual suspects:

https://www.westmarine.com/mounted-battery-chargers

Have had some good experiences with these guys as well:

https://citimarinestore.com/en/172-marine-battery-chargers

Any other brands / hidden gems you'd recommend, especially for battery chargers?

Other question is, what brand would you recommend? Personal experiences with the chargers?

I'm considering:

Mastervolt
Promariner
Noco
Minn Kota

Appreciate any advice / opinions, and thanks!
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ProMariner ProNautic serie would be a good choice.
ssobol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alainP wrote:
The ProMariner ProNautic serie would be a good choice.

+1
JeffKelly68

City/Region: Jacksonville
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I'll go the ProMariner ProNautic route.

Thank you for the suggestions Thumbs Up
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add Blue Seas and Victron to the list, and remove Guest. The Promariner, has several different lines. The Pro Nautic is the one you want.

Look at the pricing and availability. West Marine is going to be down the list as far as price is concerned--I had asked about some common bottom paint at my local store Friday. In the past, I would have been told what store had the paint--and if they could have it shipped to them via the Port Supply truck assuming it was a nearby store. This time I was told to order it thru the internet--if they had it!

West Marine has been owned by venture capitalists for the last 10 or so years. Currently a Mr. Kufel is the CEO. He served as the CEO of CorePower Yoga, building the company into the largest yoga studio operator in the U.S. Mr. Kufel currently serves as a Director of Leslie's, Inc., and Truck Hero, the leading provider of functional aftermarket accessories for pickup trucks and Jeep® vehicles. You can see how much marine business experience he has had!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: