The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Refinish cabin door, and install wiper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SVal

City/Region: Elma
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Pacemaker
Photos: Pacemaker
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject: Refinish cabin door, and install wiper Reply with quote

I have a 1990 22' Angler and I have been slowly cleaning it up and making it like home.
1. Question, the cabin door is old but very solid and straight. The finish on the outside is badly checked and roughed up. The teak trim around the outside is good only the outside facing (maybe) veneer or coating needs help. Any ideas as what to do?
2. I have manual wipers on each outer front window and nothing on the center window. Has anyone installed a manual center window wiper? It appears that there is just enough room but before I drill a hole I thought I would ask the experts.
In my pictures on the album named 1st boat project, near the bottom center is a picture of the door which now is much worse looking.

ChrisLeGros

City/Region: portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am faced with the exact same issue and I've considered two options. The first, which I will probably do personally is removing the door sanding it glassing it and fairing it and then plaint it white. This option appeals to me because I do not like naked wood that will require attention in the future. The second, which will give you the factory look is buy a piece of teak plywood and fabricate a new one
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Refinish cabin door, and install wiper Reply with quote

SVal wrote:
I have a 1990 22' Angler and I have been slowly cleaning it up and making it like home.
1. Question, the cabin door is old but very solid and straight. The finish on the outside is badly checked and roughed up. The teak trim around the outside is good only the outside facing (maybe) veneer or coating needs help. Any ideas as what to do?
2. I have manual wipers on each outer front window and nothing on the center window. Has anyone installed a manual center window wiper? It appears that there is just enough room but before I drill a hole I thought I would ask the experts.
In my pictures on the album named 1st boat project, near the bottom center is a picture of the door which now is much worse looking.

On my 1991 22 of old the door was a laminate (think formica)
with a ply wood core. Just like the cabinet doors & counter top. Should sand & paint fine. ymmv Wink Beer
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 22 cruiser I have the electric wipers on the port and starboard windows. I never thought that a wiper on the center window was necessary.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added electric wipers to the port and starboard windows and tried to add a third to the center, but the shelf overhead at the top doesn't permit enough room for the motor in the center. There was, however, enough for a manual wiper installation which went easily w/o problems, and was very useful.

Your call on the door, but I'd simply sand it down and paint it with off-white paint to match the hull on both the outside and inside. (Later models came with off-white cabin doors that matched the hull color.) I'd use epoxy or (preferably) LPU paint over the proper primer. Mask off the window, don't disassemble it.

My two cents, for free!

Good Luck!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Clewless

City/Region: Ashland
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1986
Vessel Name: Clewless
Photos: Clewless
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Angler Door Reply with quote

I have an '86 Angler with a similar door. It was recommended that I use Cetol, which I did. The Cetol is the original browny/orange formula. It has held up very well and I used it on the cabin handrails too. It's your call to how far you want to go and what level of finish. I know that some think it's too brown but I went for low maintenance.

Brian
86 Angler Clewless
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same material on the 1993 20' C dory Cruiser. It is a marine ply with what appears to be a melamine type of laminate--to simulate teak. I don't remember the exact name, but something decaboard???.

On the 22, we used Cetol and it made a pleasant appearance. But there was little damage to the surface.

On the door pictured, I probably would sand it--and if there were dings which didn't come out--then fill with thickened epoxy. (Do not use Bondo or Polyester type of materials--adherence will not be satisfactory), Then paint with a paint to match as others have suggested.

Teak veneer is so thin, that it will not weather well thru the yearsl, unless kept varnished or epoxy coated and then a UV blocking clear polyurethane applied.

Several have successfully installed manual windshield wipers on the center window. We have just kept it well coated with Rainx and that seems to work quite well.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
SVal

City/Region: Elma
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Pacemaker
Photos: Pacemaker
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas on the door.
I have had 8 reconstructive back surgeries and at times I just need to stand up. When I do I stand in the aisleway and look out the center window. Invariably on those days it's raining. The center wiper would be nice. It appears there is enough room to mount it on the bottom or top.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a person with back issues and several surgeries--I also stand up to run the boat occasionally--and that is a very good reason for you to put the wiper in!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: