Keep your CPR training up to date. Can save lives

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rontros

City/Region: Bloomington
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Aquila
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Keep your CPR training up to date. Can save lives Reply with quote

My nephew recently revived a crewman after 5 minutes after his boat rolled while Salmon Fishing.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4729810/Boat-captain-leaps-sea-save-crew-capsizing.html
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rescue breathing is no longer done. Compressions only. It’s not hard, no rocket science. It can be physically exhausting, however.
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
Rescue breathing is no longer done. Compressions only. It’s not hard, no rocket science. It can be physically exhausting, however.

Yes, that is the current thought (my last first aid cert was two years ago). However, this is only true for those suffering cardiac arrest, and then it is only in the first few minutes. The idea of compressions only was instituted because most people are not formally trained in rescue breathing and for cardiac arrest you can often get results very quickly with just compressions.

In all other cases (drowning, etc.), and for cardiac victims who have not responded after a couple minutes, you need to provide rescue breathing as well, as the body has then used up any stored oxygen.

Rescuers are also encouraged to continue CPR for at least 30 minutes. There have been instances where CPR revived people who had no heartbeat for an hour or more, and in one instance someone was revived after five hours of CPR. Obviously one person cannot do this, as it is exhausting as the above poster noted.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPR and other emergency medical training is certainly a good thing. Here we have a one post wonder: olivia22@network-source apparently not a C Dory owner or want to be, who is pushing a business which gives CPR training...

American Heart instructions:

Quote:
Untrainedlayrescuersshouldprovide compression-only (Hands-Only) CPR, with or without dispatcher guidance, for adult victims of cardiac arrest. The rescuer should continue compression-only CPR until the arrival of an AED or rescuers with additional training. All lay rescuers should, at a minimum, provide chest compressions for victims of cardiac arrest. In addition, if the trained lay rescuer is able to perform rescue breaths, he or she should add rescue breaths in a ratio of 30 compressions to 2 breaths. The rescuer should continue CPR until an AED arrives and is ready for use, EMS providers take over care of the victim, or the victim starts to move. Compressions at 100 to 120 per minute). Trained professionals continue to do rescue breathing--especially if two skilled persons are available.

The reason for compressions only for untrained, is that emergency dispatchers can coach anyone to do the simple compressions only.

I carried endotracheal tubes and a laryngoscope in my kit when traveling with ball teams and large groups (as well as having an AED close at hand)

Going to American Red Cross, their web site encourages rescue breathing.

In hospitals and major clinics, we trained/certified all relevant personal yearly. Lay people should be re-trained/certified every 2 years.

Here are detailed rational and recommendations of American Heart Association.. The 2015 criteria remain in effect until 2020, but there are updates regularly.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcg wrote:
In all other cases (drowning, etc.), and for cardiac victims who have not responded after a couple minutes, you need to provide rescue breathing as well, as the body has then used up any stored oxygen.

We obviously don't deal with drowning victims much. Some of the legit heart attack victims but fire is on scene, with O2 pretty quickly. We mostly deal with loser dopers who OD on opiates. I have one heart attack save; the male required triple bypass but survived thanks to me, my partner and a portable AED. Our dept has several NARCAN saves...but I'm not as proud of those, as we merely postpone the inevitable.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a school bus driver (substitute), I'm required to go thru CPR & First Aid training every two years. I went last August, and at that time they were teaching breathing and chest compressions. (Along with the AED training. Unfortunately our buses do not have AED's, but the thought process is if you are near a school building, or many public buildings, you have a pretty good chance of having an AED nearby.) Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this thread post when it first came up, actually 3 minutes after. It had 424 views in 3 min, and it looked very suspicious of a spam entry. (The OP from MN, about an Alaska story and a link from UK.) And both posts came up almost simultaneously. (Not sure why the post time are so different, didn't see that difference last night. )

CPR, always worth knowing. Train often, and do well. It works.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, the original post was back in 2017, and that's when the story happened a month before the post. The CPR person then posted yesterday. Just looking at the time stamps on the comments. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Harvey, the original post was back in 2017, and that's when the story happened a month before the post. The CPR person then posted yesterday. Just looking at the time stamps on the comments. Colby

Oh WOW! Guess I should have gone to bed an hour or two earlier Embarassed

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem to me that if you have been trained in CPR you should know what to do. It's not like you suddenly forget how to do it the day your certificate expires. Most people who were trained years ago received training that included breathing. Continuing to do rescue breathing even though the current guidelines say it may not be necessary won't really make much difference.

Depending on the source of the data, the survival rate for "out of hospital" CPR is only 10-15%.

It helps if you like the BeeGees.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:

The CPR person has abandoned ship...with some help. Too bad for Olivia - if she had just offered wisdom without the spam link she might have been happy here.

The rest of the thread has some real value to it so only the spammer has left.

Thanks for the vigilance!

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspected the second(deleted) post might be spam so did not click on the link they provided - however you have to admit it was very well written compared to the usual spam! Cool

Meanwhile back at the original post,,,, I remember when this happened and looking back am surprised nobody responded then. So let me say to Cbrat Rontros - thank you for the link to an excellent heartwarming story and thanks to your nephew for his sacrifices to save a fellow seaman.

Regards,

Rob

hazel22

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is necessary to keep CPR training up to date. If you're required to become CPR certified, you'll need to renew that certification continuously. Give yourself a reminder and plan renewal training six months before your certificate expires.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: