pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what is the best alternative paint should one decide to not use bottom paint?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Sharp wrote:
... Of course the 6 months in the water will make bottom paint a necessity. But what are the downsides of bottom paint?

The cost of applying and maintaining it. It needs to be reapplied every couple of years. Some bottom paints work well in one set of conditions but not in another (like if you move your boat from the PNW to So. FL.).

Some bottom paints don't like to be out of the water for long periods

Bottom paints containing copper are banned in some places.

If you are going to have your boat in the water for long periods then bottom paint is probably in order. However, the OP was going to do a one time thing (as I read it). For that, I would not think the cost and effort for bottom paint is worth it. The $2K (at least) you'd pay to get it painted will pay for a lot of diver time to clean the bottom.

If it were my boat, I wouldn't paint it.
NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW,

I applied water-based Pettit Hydrocoat to New Moon myself in 2006, after getting very tired of major accumulations in 2-3-month Inside Passage trips. Noticeable slowing underway, and multi-day cleanup after each cruise.

New Moon spent ~ 9 months each year on its trailer, and ~ 3 months cruising, mostly at hull speed. Hydrocoat was still working pretty well several years later (maybe 6??), at which time I put additional coats on the sides, chines and transom. It was still working, although not quite as well, on our last cruise in 2015.

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, how hard was it to put on and how did you lift your boat to keep it off the trailer while painting the hull? Also, once you put this on, do you have to reapply it from then on? While I am looking at cruising the inside passage for 2 to 4 months this summer, I don't see any future trips of this length on the water at one time, particularly salt water. So I'm somewhat concerned about future maintenance after having bottom paint. Thanks. Colby
NewMoon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colby,

Here's a post about it I made three years ago:

Ten years ago this spring, I decided to bottom paint my 8-year-old boat. After some research, I chose Pettit Hydrocoat. Power-washed and scrubbed thoroughly, used a solvent to make sure no wax remained, and applied a sandless primer (2 coats), then the Hydrocoat (2 coats, or 3 where the greatest wear was expected). Following directions as to timing between coats is critical. Took a few days of work, and a bunch of crawling around under the boat, but was not too tough. Water-based Hydrocoat sure was less nasty to work with than some other paints.

We've spent the summer on the water in SE Alaska every year since. The original Hydrocoat is still protecting most of the bottom. Essentially zero barnacles, year after year, except for the parts of the hull covered by the trailer bunks, which I could not paint. (wish I could say the same for the sterndrive)

2-3 years ago I put additional coats on the sides/chines and transom. I've been scrubbing these areas, where more light reaches the surface and promotes growth of the green stuff, maybe 3 times each summer, with a stiff brush on the end of a long boathook handle. When I haul out at the end of the summer, a thorough power-washing is all it takes to clean the hull well. Sterndrive is another matter, however @$%&!!!

Hydrocoat is great stuff!

I did the job using a 4" wide brush, mostly lying on my back under the boat in a full set of coveralls. Time consuming, but not tough. Took less than a gallon of Hydrocoat for my 26-footer.

For me the effort was worth it - saved me days of cleanup time each year. May not be for you if you're never doing any more salt water trips longer than a couple of weeks. If after this trip you don't really need bottom paint, you don't need to do anything with it - it will gradually wear away.

As far as painting where the trailer bunks meet the hull, I did not. New Moon's awful heavy to jack up above the trailer, so I decided not to risk it. Whatever barnacles did attach to those places got thoroughly squashed when I hauled the boat back out after each trip.

BTW, I plan to head north from Poulsbo about May 1 - may see you out there.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 4 bunks under my boat, so if I bottom paint, it'd probably make sense to get it off the trailer. What did you use for a primer? And how long is the boat out of service to wait for drying time? I suppose with 4 bunks, I could drop the middle two, do the paint job, then replace them, and drop the outer two to finish painting in that area. (I installed the two inner bunks some time ago to provide better support for my boat with all my longer trips.) Also, to get more room under the boat, I've got two sets of ramps (4 total) that would give me another foot of clearance.

If all goes well, I'll probably be launching the end of May at Prince Rupert. The couple I'm planning to travel with have to be in Petersburg the middle of July. I do have an AIS transmitter, so if you see Midnight Flyer, that'll be me. Colby
NewMoon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colby,

I followed the mfr Pettit's recommendations exactly - which is what I'd suggest for any bottom paint. Don't remember the timing between coats, but it was pretty specific in their directions. Between the two coats of primer was something like two hours, or maybe four - you need to do it just as they instruct.

Careful cleaning, followed by the Interlux 202 wax solvent, then two coats of Pettit 6999 Sandless Primer - no need to sand or scuff.

EDIT: just looked at Pettit's web site, and it appears 6999 sandless primer is no longer available. Seems to have been replaced with 6998 skip-sand primer.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard. I am starting to lean towards the Hydrocoat and doing it myself, but mind isn't made up 100% yet. Our weather is starting to warm up, but only 50's during the day, while still down to near, at or below freezing at night. Colby
NewMoon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my way back from working on Dream Catcher for a couple of weeks. It was well up in the 70's in Poulsbo three days in a row. I was feeling spoiled. Peanut (our Border Terrier) was not yet acclimated to that much warmth - had to stop a few times and lie in cool shaded grass when we were walking.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would still like to hear from others regarding bottom paint. Specifically those that trailer their boats, and have had their boats on the water between 2-4 months. And if location is important, the Inside Passage area north of Prince Rupert. If I do it, the Hydrocoat seems like the best way to go, and I think I would do it myself. For those that do get Barnacles and growth, is in anywhere on the hull below the water line, or just along the sides below the water line? Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
".... For those that do get Barnacles and growth, is in anywhere on the hull below the water line, or just along the sides below the water line? Colby"

Colby, Mine were scattered on both the sides below the WL and on the bottom with the highest density, on the stern sides and vertical transom.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: