The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Lake Powell question regarding bottom paint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
realmccoy2000

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Lake Powell question regarding bottom paint Reply with quote

I have a Ranger Tug R25 with SeaHawk AF-33 bottom paint. I know many of you C-Brats rendevous each fall at Lake Powell. What has been your experience with the inspection stations and bottom paint? Do they question it?
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have bottom paint, but have traveled out west several times in the past several years. Some inspectors look closer, some not so. I have a pretty clean boat, so usually get through quickly. As long as you don't have any growth or mussels on your hull, motor or bilge areas, you should be fine. Colby
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We traveled up to Lake Powell just over a year ago. If you are in the water for more than a few days you need to buy a state invasive spieces sticker for your boat. When we hauled our R25 Sequoia back out inspectors on the ramp send you through the inspection you have already paid for. Heated wateri s pumped through your engine intake and through the rest of any raw water system and out the exaust for several minutes. Then they will put a sealed cable between the boat and the trailer. We were checked rentering California for this seal and an open transom drain. Without all this they can call in a decontamination company at great expence. It is best not to haul out when the ramp is busy.
You may see that we now have a C-dory with outboards, one reason was the lack of diesel access at the lakes Powell, Mead and Mojave.
They didn't care about our bottom paint which was the same as yours, not even an issue.
Lake Powell is amazingly beautiful to cruise, hope you have a great time!

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
easy does it

City/Region: Redmond
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Photos: Easy Does It
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

We just left there in our CD 22 we are registered in Utah, we were not required to buy an invasive species permit but you do have to buy a boat permit. We opted for the yearly because it was half price with our senior national recreation card. We cleaned our boat really well and our Kayaks in the water. We let down anchor at the stateline ramp for the night, beautiful sunset and then left at dawn, nobody was evern around. We now have the required 7 days dry and are good to go anywhere. You can get the free steam cleaning pressure wash but I did not want them futching around my boat with that thing especially in the cockpit.
easy does it

City/Region: Redmond
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Photos: Easy Does It
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

I would be more concerned about shallow areas, rocks and sand. Shallow areas can come up on you with out warning, we hit some rocks and it really freaked us out but only did minor damage and we were going slow. One time going up a narrow canyon all of a sudden a big rock just under the service ..a near miss. then we all of a sudden we were in very shallow sand everywhere..not fun. I would suggest having a SUP paddle on board, we used it a lot in the narrow canyons and when anchoring.
WeekiTiki

City/Region: Weeki Wachee
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Just Cruisin'
Photos: WeekiTiki
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of such a circumstance

Although I can see why

Was a desert on the bottom under my boat with bottom paint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: