The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Advice on new TomCat purchase
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Photo Op

City/Region: Juneau
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: ViewFinder
Photos: ViewFinder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:08 am    Post subject: Advice on new TomCat purchase Reply with quote

After considering a number of boat sizes and models, we chose the Tomcat 255 for its speed, efficiency, smooth ride, comfortable accommodations for two, and especially the enthusiasm of its owners. We are grateful to Tony Yorba for giving us a ride on FreddyCat several years ago. We have purchased a new Tomcat from Master Marine which is currently being built at the Northwest Marine factory.

This is an excellent website - it has been very helpful in making decisions about equipping the boat. We would be grateful for further advice regarding the following questions:

1. Anchor: Should we go with a 22 lb or 33 lb Rocna? The sizing table shows 22 but it says to go up one size for a catamaran. However, a 33 seems like a lot of anchor for this boat.
2. Prop: What is the best prop for 175 Suzukis?
3. Can you run the hot water heater when you are not on shore power? (we will have a 2500 watt inverter but no generator)
4. Any other recommendations for newbies?

Thanks!

19' Bayliner1993 to 2004
UH19P Hovercraft 1986 to 2008
http://beautifuljuneau.com
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt- I just viewed your beautiful professional level photographic work on your website and wanted to recommend it to all C-Brats:
Also, congratulations on your new Tomcat! Enjoy!
Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kurt,

Our 26-footer (heavier than your TomCat) came with a 7.5kg Bruce. Over many summers cruising BC and SE Alaska, it worked well in most situations. We switched to a 10kg (22lb) Rocna, which was a great improvement - quicker and surer setting, especially in kelpy areas. I'd say a 10kg Rocna would be plenty for you.

We had 40 feet of 1/4" HT chain.

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt & Bev;

I have a 2007 Tomcat and love it we've been in your area many times since the purchase. We stay at Elfin Cove when we're up there. Congratulations on your purchase. I'm sure you will love it.

Regarding your anchor, we have a 22 lb'r and get anchor drag in some situations. I will upgrade to a heavier anchor before we cruise up there again.

The water heater is a 120 volt appliance, I don't know if your inverter will be something that you want to use for heating water while at anchor. We installed a hydronic heater on Reefmadness and routed a line thru the water heater. So if the heater is going we have hot water. We also installed three defrost vents hooked to one of the heat exchanger. Our experience with the Wallace Heater/cooktop was far from satisfactory for the SE area. Defogger is needed for the windows. You live in the most beautiful area in the world and it's hard to enjoy through fogged up windows.

We are flying to Juneau July 14th for a trip to Elfin Cove and will stay at friends house for a couple of weeks. He also has a 2007 Tomcat which we use while up there.

I believe the prop size will be dependent on your use for the boat, weather it will be loaded with stuff or your just using for weekend trips or fishing. Your dealer could probably recommend a prop size based on your planned use. Some others on this board may have a better answer for you if they know the expected use.

I'd be interested in knowing how the 175 Suzuki's work out. Please let us know.

Gene

Red Knot

City/Region: SOBX
State or Province: NC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
Kurt- I just viewed your beautiful professional level photographic work on your website and wanted to recommend it to all C-Brats:
Also, congratulations on your new Tomcat! Enjoy!
Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

I second taking a look at the album when you have time to kill and want it to be useful. Smile

I think there is also some back stories of the kayak trip and camping along side of the glaciers too. Now back to your regular program...
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some answers:

1. A 22 lb Rocna should be fine.

2. Prop- No thoughts

3. Water heater- You could run your water heater from your inverter but it would quickly kill your batteries. Water heaters will generally last two nights away from shore power if you take quick showers.

Beyond that I would use a portable Honda EU 2000 generator to heat up your water. It will take about 45 minutes to get the water hot starting from luke warm. This will also charge up your batteries which will probably be getting low after two days at anchor.

4. Lights, fridge, microwave (via inverter) are the three big DC consumers while at anchor. You will probably use 50-75 amp hours in 24 hours. You don't want to run your battery down more than 50% for best life. So you will need to recharge every day or so. The Honda or similar is the best way.

A pair of 175 Suzuki's will probably recharge your batteries in an hour or two of running to the next anchorage.

David
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 22# Bruce type anchor on No Pressure. I've tried many different rodes over the years on various boats. The 8-plaid was nice but slipped through the gypsy too much, so now I use all chain. We use the boat for diving so we anchor at least twice every time we use the boat. 99% of the time, the anchor is sitting on top of the sand while the weight of the chain holds the boat in place.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
mdpak

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cassini
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONGRATULATIONS!!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW. Super photography. Thanks for sharing that.

As to the anchor. That is the last place on a boat that one wants to skimp. It's a big jump from 22 to 33 pounds, yup. But that 33 Rocna will not drag on your TC255. Is it over kill? Probably, so maybe go with the 22 and go with plenty of chain. The standard equation is to have 1 to 1.56 times your boat length. Maybe double that,,,, or more. On my 22 I have 70 feet of chain with a 13# Rocna, == NO, absolutely NO drag. I did drag the Delta a couple of times.

Tips for picking an anchor. Look around at your local marina, checking the anchors. Talk to the owners, how often they anchor, how well it works, would they do anything different. Then Go big and go with plenty of chain.

Phil. Doesn't look like your anchor is set. That would make me nervous.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 22 KG Ronca should be fine for the Tom Cat. We used a Manson Supreme (similar) in AK.

You want 4 blade props. You want some stern lift. As I recollect my Tom Cat had 22" with the 150's. Set the engines up "opposite" than standard inboards--counter rotating on starboard.
[/i]

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Red Knot

City/Region: SOBX
State or Province: NC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would personally think if you oversize your anchor with chain only, and carry it on your bow and in the forward rope locker, you may alter the safe handling with bow down trim in any open water that you plan to transit in.
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Phil. Doesn't look like your anchor is set. That would make me nervous.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

I was right next to it the entire time. We were shooting photos of Giant Sea Bass and they come right to us. Besides, if there was wind, swells or current, we wouldn't get in the water.
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to run the water heater on an inverter can be deadly to the inverter! A Honda 2200 watt generator works perfectly. You'll need to add a switch to make sure it's not trying to charge batteries at the same time though. Hot water for showers in about 15-20 min.

We used a 35# Delta Fast-Set with 100' of chain. Never failed to set, never dragged.

Congrats on the new boat. you'll love it!

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at your photos! Just WOW...
Photo Op

City/Region: Juneau
C-Dory Year: 2019
Vessel Name: ViewFinder
Photos: ViewFinder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, What a wealth of information! Thank you all.

It sounds like most of you feel the 10kg Rocna, with a substantial length of chain, will do the job. I will go with that.

On the prop, I will go with 4 blade stainless steel as recommended. In searching this site, I found a discussion initiated by Beflyguy in 2010 "Tomcat Sea Trial Punch List" where he was considering going with 16" x 23" pitch props for his 175 Suzukis. He was advised to stick with the 16"x21.5" pitch prop which others said had been proven to work. Does anyone know which prop he chose? The factory recommends 15"x21 props which, given the 2010 discussion, might be underpropping. Our intended use will be 2 person long distance cruising with provisions for up to a week. Also some whale watching and fishing short trips with up to 6 or 8 people.

Thank you, Gene Morris, for the suggestion of a hydronic heater that would also heat the water tank and provide defrost. That sounds like a great solution. Did you install the hydronic heater in addition to the Wallas stove? Where did you locate it? Which brand of hydronic heater?

For those that suggested a generator, where do you put it?

Thanks for the compliments on the website. Southeast Alaska is a great place to take pictures!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: