Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanadams

City/Region: Lebanon
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Osprey
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Setting up 22 Cruiser for fishing Reply with quote

Greetings all, I need some help from all of you experienced boaters/fisherman. I picked up my new to me Cruiser yesterday. She is a wonderfully maintained boat from Steve Baum whose meticulous attention to detail is obvious.
I would like to add some fishing gear.
What track systems do you prefer? The gunnels are cored so did you over drill/epoxy and redrill for attachment?
I'm thinking just rod holders now and no downriggers, I plan mainly Finger Lake, Lake Ontario, and Chesapeake Bay fishing.
I hate to drill through the gunnels but I guess will need to, Any good clamp on option?
Thanks for any opinions.
Van
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been very satisfied with Burnewiin mounts and attachments. They are very solid and the attachments snap out when not in use. They work great for C-Dory boats. We let the dealer install ours.
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting up 22 Cruiser for fishing Reply with quote

Vanadams wrote:
The gunnels are cored so did you over drill/epoxy and redrill for attachment?

This is what the rod holder looked like when I got my "well-used" '99 Cruiser. The core here is mush, so yes, I would definitely drill/epoxy/redrill. I would also make sure there is some sort of backing behind the bolts. A flat ring with holes would be ideal, but at least perhaps some small fender washers to distribute the load if someone puts a lot of force on it. I can only speculate as to what happened here. Perhaps someone slipped and grabbed a rod in the holder to keep from falling? At any rate, there was no backing underneath.

Vanadams

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul that photo certainly illustrates the potential problem with inadequate sealing.
Thanks for posting. Makes me nervous to create holes!
Vanadams

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary those Burnewiin mounts look nice. I had never heard of them.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van, me neither. When we bought our boat the dealer suggested them. They are a little spendy but are made of stainless steel. So far we just use them for our crab pot puller (mounted to a Scotty Swivel Mount), rod holders and stern line reel that plugs into the rod holder. What is nice is that they mount flush to the boat and when not in use you hardly notice they are there. Check out their website. They also have attachments for putting on a boat BBQ or knife holder etc.

Last edited by DayBreak on Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two manual downriggers I use on my 22. One a Scotty, the other a Canon. I had the base plates mounted towards the rear of the gunnel, just in front of the fuel fill caps. The gunnel seems thick enough/strong enough that I just used washers before the nuts, with no backing plate. I did however over the winter purchase some Scotty swivel mounts, and installed those base plates close to the same position I pulled the downrigger base plates up from. Then I also have the fishing rod holders that mount into base units that mount inside the cockpit at the stern. Finally I have two of the straight cheaper plastic rod holders mounted in locations that I can use either as a rod holder, or to hold my grill. If I remember, I'll take a few photos tomorrow and upload. Colby
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Setting up 22 Cruiser for fishing Reply with quote

Vanadams wrote:
Greetings all, I need some help from all of you experienced boaters/fisherman. I picked up my new to me Cruiser yesterday. She is a wonderfully maintained boat from Steve Baum whose meticulous attention to detail is obvious.
I would like to add some fishing gear.
What track systems do you prefer? The gunnels are cored so did you over drill/epoxy and redrill for attachment?
I'm thinking just rod holders now and no downriggers, I plan mainly Finger Lake, Lake Ontario, and Chesapeake Bay fishing.
I hate to drill through the gunnels but I guess will need to, Any good clamp on option?
Thanks for any opinions.
Van

I have had excellent service from Tempress Fish-On rod holders over the last 30 yrs.

[url]

Easily removed, BBQ fits in the mount Mr. Green
[/url]
Mt below kids rt hand, I have these on the rail mt on my 25 also hard to beat. YMMV, Have a Great time Fishing!!
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no fisherman but since you mentioned no downriggers and don't like to drill holes you might check out the SeaSucker products. I've been using a bunch of their accessories around my 22 for mounting electronics, fire extinguishers, and using their rod holders to hold docking sticks and mops/brushes. A tad expensive but great quality and you can reposition them anywhere with a flat surface, or remove them completely when not in use. And best thing: no holes in the boat! Don't tell Brock but this weekend I brought home a couple rod holders from Big-C to use on Bambina, might even try to drag a line in the lake this summer.

https://www.seasucker.com/collections/marine

-Mike

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeR wrote:
I'm no fisherman but since you mentioned no downriggers and don't like to drill holes you might check out the SeaSucker products. I've been using a bunch of their accessories around my 22 for mounting electronics, fire extinguishers, and using their rod holders to hold docking sticks and mops/brushes. A tad expensive but great quality and you can reposition them anywhere with a flat surface, or remove them completely when not in use. And best thing: no holes in the boat! Don't tell Brock but this weekend I brought home a couple rod holders from Big-C to use on Bambina, might even try to drag a line in the lake this summer.

https://www.seasucker.com/collections/marine

-Mike

I can see one of those popping off just as a big fish gets hooked and your whole fishing rig goes over the side after the fish. Murphy's Law and all....
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
I can see one of those popping off just as a big fish gets hooked and your whole fishing rig goes over the side after the fish. Murphy's Law and all....

LOL, yes and that would be just my luck too! Very Happy
I will say this, I've got 7 total mounts - 4 of them have been in the same place for over 2 years and have not budged. The other 3 have been relocated and relocated again, and no holes to fill. So I'm a big fan, at least for mounting accessories. They do make heavy duty trolling rod holders but at $200+ I don't plan to buy any. If I were more into fishing I would bite the bullet and just drill some holes for traditional adjustable rod holders. But Van had asked about options for not drilling holes, and SeaSucker is one product I've had success with.
SVal

City/Region: Elma
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Pacemaker
Photos: Pacemaker
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject: Fishing set up Reply with quote

On my picture page under Fish album there is some pics of how I set up my rail system. It quickly converts form fishing to camping to Bar B Q etc. in seconds. Lots of options
SVal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject: Fishing set up Reply with quote

On my picture page under Fish album there is some pics of how I set up my rail system. It quickly converts form fishing to camping to Bar B Q etc. in seconds. Lots of options
Vanadams

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Seasucker mounts for use in rod storage I might worry if trolling. Sval I think I will likely go with a track system similar to yours. Lots of different brands out there. That’s a big Kokanee. I used to fly fish for them in CO when they ran out of the reservoir to spawn.
SVal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Fishing set up Reply with quote

I shopped hard for my Cisco rail system. Now that I have used it for a few years I'm convinced it is tops in the industry. It was important that I used two pieces on each side as the gunnel is not straight, also when using it the space between each section allows for quick changing. Your not fighting removing other items on the rail. Just loosen the thumb screws and slide it off. Most of my accessories are made by Scotty. They have lots of options. If you have any questions that I can answer like the length of each rail just ask. My C Dory is a 22' Angler so my cock pit is longer than on a Cruiser. I installed a backing plate and sealed each hole. Also they are anodized and have shown no discoloring even though I am constantly in salt water.
This is their link!
https://www.ciscofishingsystemsltd.com/shop/track-systems-5194
for Scotty it is scotty.com/rod-holders-and-mounts

Steve V 360-346-7001
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: