The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Importance of 4x4 or AWD or Locking Diff at boat launch?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamer wrote:
Right on Harvey, Simple answer here. 4X4, Even here in the Desert, Subaru 4X4 and a F-350 4X4 makes things so much easier.

Really helpful in the Sequim Snow Eh?

Roger, Right you are. I have had a total of over 30 inches on my driveway since the Super Bowl, (20 inches in the 24 hours after the Superbowl Sunday. I have been shoveling driveways every day for the last 4 days. AND we may not be done yet.

The 4WD was the only way to get around for the first few days, and if you are in the non-main streets, it still is. First day above freezing today for Sequim since SB Sunday, or actually a few days before that.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: 4WD alternatives Reply with quote

I didn’t mention my Chesapeake waterman father’s other trick for launching and retrieving on slippery ramps. Chains! I always carry them, but primarily use them in deep snow, and sometimes mud since I already have 4WD and agressive tires. If you don’t have 4WD, slipping on a set of chains will give you some major traction under nearly any circumstances, likely better than 4WD with poor tires. You need to make a judgement and put them on just before you enter the water (unless you carry scuba gear too ;>) Take them off as you exit and have good traction. I’ve also seen 2WD trucks use them getting out of steep hollers on muddy roads when I used to go caving in TN. They work! If you can afford 4WD and are contemplating buying a new or used truck, it will likely be worth the extra cost, but I wouldn’t spend so much money for something that you can get around with a little planning and extra effort unless you can really afford it and don’t want to plan and take the extra effort.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some of the inland lakes that I have boated on have the steepest ramps I have experienced

Same here. most of the lakes in the sierras are very steep banked. Some of the ramps , because of draw down thru the year, are 200ft long and drop 100 ft or more. My point is that if you have a enough power then you do not need to worry about 4x4 if the ramp is dry. As compared to salt water ramps with wet ramps and growth on the ramp. that is why if you have a marginal truck, like my ford ranger, 4x4 giving you more traction is a good thing. My v10 f350 over comes that with just power. And I got to tell you I can slow crawl up a tree with the boat. down side is the fuel cost. I had to run over to eastern Oregon to pick up my folks when their car blow. I headed over empty and got 8.7 mpg average. That was over two mountain ranges. I loaded up the folks and put their suv on a rental car trailer. On the way pack over the same two ranges I got 8.2 mpg average????? So rule one is to always take something with me because its not saving me money going empty

cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i used to pull my boat with a big 1986 3500 dually. It was two wheel drive with an open diff. Depending on the tide, i'd get into pickles at the launching ramp where i was just spinning out and burning rubber. After I made my wife and mom sit on the rear fenders to get some weight on the back end for traction (aslo recruited some strangers to stand in the bed) I went shopping for a 4x4...with a locking rear diff.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

25 years of boating in washington and alaska and I have never once used 4 wheel drive for pulling the boat up the launch except in winter.
jbdba01

State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know your ramps...and you'll know your answer. If going all over the place get 4WD for piece of mind and move forward.

I tow a Glacier Bay 2670 (about 9K# loaded - think Tomcat) on a Tundra 2WD. Explicitly these means I won't be driving to Denver any time soon...but can hit the entire state of FL.

Never had any issues - high or low tide. There's a ramp I go to that on a southern wind it will catch all sorts of weeds (like 6" worth). It's a hassle but I just have to move the stuff. I do have a tow strap - just in case; never needed it (except for the neighbor teens who keep backing into my mailbox - I pull the mailbox straight).

Trick my buddy showed me was if you just need a nudge to get moving is to help the truck up by powering up on the engines. Just don't get crazy on the throttle. Otherwise you'll have a boat in the bed.

I would say in general (emphasis on general) most FL ramps are good enough for 2wd.
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Portland Oregon a couple of days ago doing a sea trial on a 25 with some new Garmin electronics. Just for kicks, checking on the plotter we did a look up for the local tides. Wow, was it big. So we are in Portland Oregon, about 100 miles up the Columbia River from the Pacific Ocean. The tide was just at 3 feet. That was impressive, since Portland tides are generally less that 2 feet. The ramps there are all pretty gentle sloped and rarely have any growth on them. Our typical tides run in the lows at 5-6 feet and the highs can run up to 10 - 14 feet and our, (PNW, Puget Sound, and North from here), rarely do not have slickery stuff. I might not need the 4WD but I don't notice because it is on, and I just drive out.

As noted, Know your ramps, and I might add, know your tow vehicle.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbdba01 wrote:
Trick my buddy showed me was if you just need a nudge to get moving is to help the truck up by powering up on the engines. Just don't get crazy on the throttle. Otherwise you'll have a boat in the bed.

I launch and retrieve solo, but I can't wait to try this. Maybe it will even help with gas mileage on the way home. Wink

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbdba01 wrote:

Trick my buddy showed me was if you just need a nudge to get moving is to help the truck up by powering up on the engines.

I watched Bass Tournament boats coming in one day. At a double ramp I think 20 or more boats pulled out in as many minutes. A driver would back a trailer in - the boat would power load on and the driver would start pulling out. Boat captain would leave prop engaged until almost out of water then shut down and trim up. I assumed that was to keep boat from sliding back on the bunks until full weight of boat was out of water. A sight to see and never forgot.

I don't power load as it is frowned upon at most ramps but I leave the front of my bunks out of the water and try to gage how much way I need to carry the bow to the stop or close enough. Then hit the brakes in the parking lot and snug up the winch.

Regards,

Rob

hardee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
jbdba01 wrote:

I launch and retrieve solo, but I can't wait to try this. Maybe it will even help with gas mileage on the way home. Wink

Mark

Mark, Laughing Laughing Laughing I looked at that and wondered if they usually just idle up the ramp (Those big high torque Diesels) then figured I must know something they didn't, push on the gas peddle. Well, then you figured it out. How fast does the squirrel have to be to be coming out of both holes at the same time?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Gulfcoastjohn

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: CAT 'O MINE
Photos: CAT 'O MINE
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now convinced that we should spend 80 Boat Units on a 2019 Ford F250 deisel 4x4 in order to get up the ramps in the Pacicific NW that we hope to be exploring next year in summer 2020.
Bob says 'you can't take it with you' and 'the kids will splurge it' and I want his next 50 reasons also!
A 3 yrear bumper to bumper and 100K deisel warranty sounds nice, though I have not had a lick of trouble with mine.
John

hardee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, there is a classic truck poster where this little truck is towing one of the NASA Space Shuttles. It reads, "If your truck didn't pull a Space Shuttle, It isn't a truck" Signed, Tundra.

so,

It's OK if you don't change your truck. I'll send you my number and I can
help you up those slick ramps, when ever you need....

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
John, there is a classic truck poster where this little truck is towing one of the NASA Space Shuttles. It reads, "If your truck didn't pull a Space Shuttle, It isn't a truck" Signed, Tundra.

That's all well and good, except the Tundra was pulling the shuttle on dry pavement on flat land. Let's see if the Tundra could pull the shuttle up a boat ramp. I know a few it could try.
Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One trick worth putting in your quiver is to pull up the ramp at a 45° or so angle to straight ahead.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 4WD alternatives Reply with quote

robhwa wrote:
I didn’t mention my Chesapeake waterman father’s other trick for launching and retrieving on slippery ramps. Chains! I always carry them, but primarily use them in deep snow, and sometimes mud since I already have 4WD and agressive tires. If you don’t have 4WD, slipping on a set of chains will give you some major traction under nearly any circumstances, likely better than 4WD with poor tires. You need to make a judgement and put them on just before you enter the water (unless you carry scuba gear too ;>) Take them off as you exit and have good traction. I’ve also seen 2WD trucks use them getting out of steep hollers on muddy roads when I used to go caving in TN. They work! If you can afford 4WD and are contemplating buying a new or used truck, it will likely be worth the extra cost, but I wouldn’t spend so much money for something that you can get around with a little planning and extra effort unless you can really afford it and don’t want to plan and take the extra effort.

Wow, how old school and common sense. Weird! I have used chains on lots of ramps, Priest Lk Id., Cda. lake Id., Pend O., Lake Id., Roosevelt ramps, Homer Ak., Seward Ak., etc. There is lots of time without crowds in the winter! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: