The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

SO WHAT DID YOU DO WITH OR ON YOUR C-DORY TODAY??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 243, 244, 245 ... 279, 280, 281  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, I can sneak in under a 10 foot door, but remember, I lowered my bunks 3 inches. What are you mounting your radar on? I have a Stainless Scan Strut that is about 4 inches but I elected to go back to my Aluminum, powder coated one that I am re-doing the powder coating on. It will be better than new, and will be isolated from the stainless bolts and washers with nylon washers and bushings.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had much time to boat lately, but I have been busy working on it. Our boat was not originally sold with a heater, so to keep the wife happy, I decided to install some sort of heat. I'd thought about installing a forced air system, but I really don't need that much heat just enough to keep the chill off where we live. I found a Wallas stove in Florida from another C-brat a couple weeks ago for a reasonable price. I know this stove seems to frustrate a lot of people but we actually really liked our Wallas stove for the 5 years we owned our previous c-dory. A couple of times it would not fire over the years and that was due to low voltage on the batteries. We try to run it at least once a month to keep fresh fuel rotated through it. That's a killer in any diesel system.

So I picked up the Wallas and immediately called Scan Marine to have them send me a new exhaust hose, and fiberglass sock, and through fitting for the exhaust. They recommended a 4' exhaust hose, and said that c-dory only specs a 3' hose, but in their opinion that boat should have a 4' hose to have the proper upward loop in it. I also had them send me a white plastic vent grill, since our boat was never spec'd with a heater it didn't have any intake vent cut yet in the cabinet, and our boat has the fiberglass molded interior.

I went to the hardware store, and picked up some drill bits and a half dozen jigsaw blades. 30 feet of 8 guage wire, some blue tape, and plastic masking to mask off the interior of the boat (I hate fiberglass dust)! After a day or two of cutting, and many jigsaw blades later, I had the holes cut, and they turned out great. The molded fiberglass interior is not the easiest thing to cut large holes in but its doable. A few days ago, everything was mounted and it looks like a professional job, I was pleased with myself.

At this point I discovered a water leak inside the cabinet with the water tank. I could not determine if it was the hose or the tank that was leaking so I took the entire tank out to test it for leaks outside the boat. I decided all the hoses were brittle and also the foot pump was probably due for replacement. I already had a spare baby whale foot pump I had purchased on Amazon months ago. Everything is stripped out of the boat now. The tank turned out to be in good shape, and I have 20 feet of 3/4" O.D. hose, so I'm ready to put everything back in. That's where I'm at today. I'd like to get everything back installed and tested over the next couple of evenings, and get out on the water this weekend. The plan is to head out to Sapelo island and the Darien waterfront for the weekend, and a good shake down cruise before Hontoon island. Thumbs Up

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting ready for Hontoon trip. Had friend wash boat yesterday. Started on my upgrade of Lithium battery system. I put in. single 100 amp hour (usable) LiFePO$ battery before the Fall River trips to run the two chest type refer/freezer units. I ordered a second 100 amp LIFePO4 ion battery, (total of 200 amps usable--weight total 2 x 30=60 lbs; this would require over 300 # of conventional batteries). Fit up under V berth. Adding a 2000 Watt Pure sine wave inverter to run the microwave and induction burner for cooking. There is now a Sterline Battery to Battery charger, which takes the output of the Honda alternator from the "start battery" and boosts it up to the voltage needed to charge the Li ion batteries. (14.4 volts), without any risk to the flooded lead acid batteries. plus a remote for the inverter (amps drawn, amps out 110V,, control of inverter/80 amp charger on or off for each function. Already have the Victron 700, plus a second system for the 2 Flooded lead acid house batteries. Today we started project by running the wiring, and cutting cooling vents/computer fan, with snap disc, to start the fan at 100*F. Specific posts to follow, as the upgrade comes to completion.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gstraub

City/Region: Callao
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: EnDoryFun
Photos: EnDoryFun
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got our C-Dory 22 about a year and a half ago. It was a donation boat and had been sitting in the water for several years unattended. I got it basically cleaned up and running after we got it, but just have been busy with life and other boats to really bring it up to snuff. Finally decided I need to make it "cruise ready", so yesterday I pulled the water tank, all hoses and the pump. Replaced all the hoses and pump and rinsed out the tank and put it all back together. Also varnished the dish holder and table trim (although that wasn't yesterday). Next item, forward hatch repair and cleaning up the cushions, and getting the name on her, and then we'll be in business! Not today, however, since it is snowing!
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced all three batteries last week. My fishfinder was not locking onto the bottom the last time out. I looked up the problem and found it to be low voltage. I checked my batteries and they were indeed a little low. Everything worked great the next day. Now, all we need is for the storms of this winter to go away so we can get back to shooting underwater photos again. It's been a slow year.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had some beautiful photos like Phil! Well, the 2nd LiFePO4 100 amp battery is installed, with 300 amp fuse, switch, run to both chest freezer/refers, and the heavy cables, with lots of lugs to the Victron 2000 Watt Pure Sine Wave inverter. Only about a day late....So I get all the connections double checked (200 amps is a lot of power). The 120 V AC , now feeds the inverter, with its automatic transfer switch The 120 V AC should feed thru, and the inverter should....invert. Nada. No battery charger. No lights at all., I check voltages. All fine, except no 120 V AC out from the inverter. NADA--dead. I call the vender (Battle Born batteries, who programed it to charge the LiFePO4 battery profile). They asked a number of questions--yes I confirmed every thing is as it should be. Time ticks by. They are talking about sending the unit back. Finally I asked if they would give me the direct line to their consultant at Victron--no problem--they gave me 3 numbers. Justin answered at the first ring. He talked me thru several other diagnostic items. Then asked how I set the "DIP" Switches. I replied, since the vender had programed it, I had not changed them....pull the cover off while he is on the phone (the inverter is under the starboard V berth--and not easy to take out the screws (dropped one). Told "Justin" what the settings were. Wrong! Just changing two dip switches and it sprung to life. Every thing works!

I left a message for the person at Battle Born (His e-mail had come in to Victron when I was on the phone with Victron), He asked did I bump the dip switches when I installed. Nope--I didn't even know where they were...Hmm--maybe someone changed them when they "programed" the unit???

Sooo. I am a day behind. But it works. Microwave, induction burners. voltage and amperage boost if needed???.. Charges from the outboard alternator.

Moral, when you get older things don't get done as fast, but they do get done--and although I made a few mistakes on the install, which wasted my time--I got it all right, still. And look for the DIP switches! Don't assume because someone "programed" it, it was done right...
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Replaced my cabin lights with new LED lights. (The old ones were the original incandescent that I had put LED replacement bulbs in. But the switches were going bad.) The new lights have both white and red LED's.

- Installed a Victron 712 Battery Monitor.

- Replaced the port Trim Tab actuator, which required removing and reinstalling the fuel tank. I'll do the starboard actuator tomorrow if it doesn't rain...
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had new Interstate RV/Marine Deep Cycle Batteries replaced. The Stbd one is a shoe horn fit. Started working on the towing charger system... and now I'm looking fora new electronics technician as the one I had set up to do the work just took a job in Alaska.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been scrambling with the boat projects that had to be parted out due to losing the electronics tech that I had scheduled to do several projects. I had some electronics work scheduled at Rodgers Marine in Portland, then they called and put me off until mid-May, so I scheduled with Thor, but when he was sent to Alaska I started parting out the jobs, called a local place and then started piecing it all together, some of it here , some there. I got home from Portland late last night and just got the last one finished -- at Rodgers Marine Electronics.

One of the projects was to set up a charging system for my boat batteries while I am towing, (Toad charging, in RV vernacular). I have towed long distances and slept in my boat many times. I had always worried about using the batteries and not being able to recharge them for 2 or 3 days at a time. Should have put in the TOAD system long time ago.

The other main project was to finish the installation of my new MOB+ electronic engine kill switch. I had built the brackets and got the mounting all figured, but I don't do wiring so I had Rodgers do that part. Nice to have that all finished and operational as about 98% of my boating is single handed.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

hardee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally completed a window cover for towing. Covers the front windows, ties the bottom to the midship cleats and the top hangs from hooks up under the brow, and ties via a line around the cabin top, up under the lip all the way back to the handhold above the cabin door. Should keep the bugs of the glass and protect from any flying gravel. It was made with a front an back piece, making a pocket for each window where I can add some foam cushion (currently 3 mm yoga pad.

Found a loose HIN tag in the process. That will be covered on a separate thread.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey,
I've thought a few times about making windshield covers, but never have. Can you take pictures of what you made? Thanks. Colby
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Hi Harvey,
I've thought a few times about making windshield covers, but never have. Can you take pictures of what you made? Thanks. Colby

I never thought that they were something that was necessary. I don't have windshield covers on my car...
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
colbysmith wrote:
Hi Harvey,

I never thought that they were something that was necessary. I don't have windshield covers on my car...

I have had them on the C Dorys because I don't want those pits on the boat forward windows, that develop on the cars and trucks.

Head into the sun, and most car windshields will have many small pits--and then there are the rock starbursts...
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a joke. Covers on, can't see out, driving a car, get it.

Last edited by ssobol on Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Sea Trials Reply with quote

The new to me Cape Cruiser named OSPREY has successfully completed 3 days of sea trials. Minor things to finish up on the boat, but nothing now that will keep it from operating. After working on the boat since September, it is a little melancholy that there was nothing major to deal with.
OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 243, 244, 245 ... 279, 280, 281  Next
Page 244 of 281

Jump to: