The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

03/05 - 03/07 - Hontoon Island, Florida CBGT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Thanks for the invite. It turns out that I've already booked my return flight; a red-eye on the 4th. I have classes on the 5th (saxophone and ceramics). I'm having too much fun.

The in-laws new place has a double garage. I'll check and see if a CD 16 will fit. Then I could have one on both coasts. I'm sure my father-in-law wouldn't object.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Bob. We use pretty much the same route heading south, as we always try to work in a stop with Rosanne's uncle in Trenton KY, just north of Clarksville, Tn. Full routing is I39 from Madison, to Bloomington IL, then I74 to Champaign, I57 to just NW of Paducah, where we catch I24 to Nashville, then I65 to Montgomery Al, then Hwy 231 thru Dothan Al and down to intercept I10, over to I75. I've found going past Ocala and using the cutoff at Belleview and on to 42 into Ed Stone works real well. Colby
little wing

City/Region: Oakland
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Toots
Photos: Toots
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

little wing wrote:
Here's a tentative. Having just been pushed into the no longer employed crowd, Wendy and I are thinking we can make this. However, there are a couple challenges: a) we are in Michigan, the land of lovely winters; and b) the boat is shrink wrapped, and put away for the winter. Provided we can get Toots back in cruising order, and the weather cooperates, I think we can make it.

Well, it's not working out as I had hoped. With a general lack of preparedness and a slow adjustment to the post work world, it has become obvious we won't be making the trip. We were looking forward to the cruise and meeting everyone. Hopefully another time or another gathering.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the only guy that plows his front and back yard, but I'll be able to pull it out when it's time. Now, if our weather would calm down and warm up to allow for uneventful travel down and back to Hontoon, I would be happy! Colby

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, I have collected about 40 inches of snow here since Superbowl Sunday. I have been shoveling every day since then, but mostly for older folks, church folks, and neighbors. Finally, yesterday I got around to doing my own back walk and garage apron so i can get my truck out. Then I went over to where the boat is stored and shoveled that driveway too, just in case it turns into boating weather all of a sudden. I could see some blue sky patches while I was doing all that, but they were out over the Strait of Juan, and I was working in very wet, heavy knee + deep snow.

Your blue sky looks beautiful.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey, keep helping those others out. I do the same thing, but with a little Kabota tractor. I use to keep the blade on it in the winter, but the bucket works better. I can dig my way out of the back yard, as I store it in the back shed. Too many times I couldn't push my way out with just the blade. We also live on the end of the street, and don't have much room in front of our driveway. The plows always push the snow to the end of the road, which is in front of our house. While they would come by later with their big front end loaders to move the snow, with my bucket I can get it moved right away!
The sky did turn blue, and today we are up to 38 degrees. Later this evening however calling for a mix of flurries and freezing rain. Temps tonight going back down, and we won't see above freezing again until around the 23rd. Really hoping we stay above freezing during the daytime that week, and don't get to low at night. I'd like to load the boat for Hontoon, and also get the motor on the muffs and blow the fogging oil out and make sure it's running good, before dragging it down to Florida.
Sounds like you guys had a wild few days this past week. But I bet it all melts before ours does! Confused Just a very weird year for weather! Colby
Water Bill

City/Region: Lake Keowee, SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: Mystery Girl (Ranger Tug R-23)
Photos: Mystery Girl and C-Swell
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colby,
Arrived at Ed Stone last night, will launch and head to Hontoon this morning. Blue skies and no snow here😁. See you in a couple of weeks.

Boston Whaler Super Sport 17 1986 to 2007
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to it Bill. Enjoy your early time there. I keep telling myself I'd like to come down early and volunteer! Colby
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo's of new docks at Hontoon sent by Water Bill.

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
fiddlerami

City/Region: Beverly Hills
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - sure looks like fun. We live in Florida and are currently looking for a C-Dory 16 cruiser. Don't have much time to make this event but maybe we'll find a boat before then - HOPE! Where do most folks launch where you can leave your cars?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Launch at Ed Stone County Park--a few mils away. Rigs left there in the grass area. Seem to have been secure for up to a month.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dusted off my antenna analyzer, and frequency counter.--I can check antennas, indecently from the radio for SWR. We can do a demonstration during the talk session if any interested. I don't have any Marine VHF antenna, but CB (11 meter) and 2 meter, very close to Marine VHF frequencies.. If anyone has a Marine VHF antenna, and they want to know if it is any good, we can check that.
Yakmandu

City/Region: Lake Lanier
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Miss April
Photos: Pops GO!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GulfCoastJohn, I’m attending my first C-Dory gathering at Hontoon this year in my “new-to-me” 19 Angler. I read your post regarding the Wilderness Waterway. I am familiar with the Everglades and the Wilderness Waterway.

I paddled the Wilderness Waterway in 2011 in a kayak. The Nightmare section was completed by literally pulling my way through the Waterway. There is no way a traditional boat could complete this section based on overhang, depth and width at that time.

I have also paddled and sailed (Hobie Adventure/Tandem Island) from Chocoloskee to Flamingo and back numerous times. There is a small boat group called Watertribe that races from Tampa Bay to Key Largo - 300 miles. There are checkpoints in Chocoloskee and Flamingo which take you through Everglades National Park. I have participated in the event multiple time. My tribe name is Yakmandu.

If you visit the Watertribe forum, you can search for posts on the condition of the Wilderness Waterway and the Nightmare section. I’ll try to post a couple links.

http://watertribe.org/forums/topic/everglades-update#post-32112

http://watertribe.org/forums/topic/nightmare-is-open-2019#post-33133

I would be happy to talk with you about the Everglades. I am also planning a trip from Chico to Flamingo, and back. I will skip the Nightmare.

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regrets I’m having to pull out of this gathering this year. Just can’t get the stars to align properly. If any are traveling south thru the Nashville TN area give me a shout! Should be plenty of water down there after our current water conditions and/or levels....with another 3-5” on the way in the next 48 hours. Over 18” of rain since Jan 1, and that 3-5 inches predicted and falling now.
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I dusted off my antenna analyzer, and frequency counter.--I can check antennas, indecently from the radio for SWR. We can do a demonstration during the talk session if any interested. I don't have any Marine VHF antenna, but CB (11 meter) and 2 meter, very close to Marine VHF frequencies.. If anyone has a Marine VHF antenna, and they want to know if it is any good, we can check that.

I'm gonna take you up on that Bob. I installed a 4 foot shakespere vhf antenna recently but only guessing that it works. Be great to know if my sodering job was terrible or if I'm good to go.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: