Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKMel

City/Region: Gustavus
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-esta
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Webasto / Espar knockoffs Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone has tried any of the Espar or Webasto heater knockoffs coming out of China or Russia? With the exception of Planar, most seem to apply their own brand name, but seem to be the same product other than cosmetic differences. One company states they make them for Chinese military vehicles. That might be the mother manufacturer. The price is very inexpensive. I ordered a 2K (Same size as my Espar D2) for my diesel pickup, just to check it out. Compared with what I paid for the Espar on our 22 Cruiser it’s reverse sticker shock: $158 direct from China, including shipping and a remote control. That’s assuming I get it. I would have ordered from the U.S. but most of what is out there is 5K or 8K, which is way too big for my space. My research indicated small is better because they need to run on high enough to keep soot from clogging the combustion chamber.

Did I throw $158 out the window?

My idea of a tragedy is a deduction killed by a fact.

2008 22 Cruiser 2017-present
2003 Alumaweld Intruder 2012-present
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Webasto / Espar knockoffs Reply with quote

AKMel wrote:

Most people seem very happy. I'm also thinking of doing this.

Are you aware of the Facebook group for answering questions, adjustment problems, etc.? There's lots of good info here... https://www.facebook.com/groups/146837062640024/files/

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Webasto / Espar knockoffs Reply with quote

AKMel wrote:
Wondering if anyone has tried any of the Espar or Webasto heater knockoffs coming out of China or Russia? With the exception of Planar, most seem to apply their own brand name, but seem to be the same product other than cosmetic differences. One company states they make them for Chinese military vehicles. That might be the mother manufacturer. The price is very inexpensive. I ordered a 2K (Same size as my Espar D2) for my diesel pickup, just to check it out. Compared with what I paid for the Espar on our 22 Cruiser it’s reverse sticker shock: $158 direct from China, including shipping and a remote control. That’s assuming I get it. I would have ordered from the U.S. but most of what is out there is 5K or 8K, which is way too big for my space. My research indicated small is better because they need to run on high enough to keep soot from clogging the combustion chamber.

let us know how it turns out? Mr. Green Beer
Brewkid

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: SCALLYWAG
Photos: Scallywag
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mel,

Now all I've done this weekend is research those dang heaters!! Man, I sure got sucked into that one. I'll probably buy one by the end of the week.....

John
Scallywag
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://heaters4you.com/eberspacher/323-airtronic-d2-12v-with-mounting-kit-easy-start-select-252675050000.html
Brewkid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that what you installed on AU KAI?

John
Scallywag
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewkid wrote:
Is that what you installed on AU KAI?

John
Scallywag

I just ordered one.
Brewkid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going cheap...but after some extensive bench testing!! At least my boat is insured, unlike some others....

If insurance comes a calling, not a peep, Okay?

John
Scallywag
AKMel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got a tracking update. Mine is in the Elk Grove, CA, USPS processing center. So should be here in a few days. Slow boat to China has new meaning.

I too have been continuing research. It's difficult to say whether shippers just put their own label on these. I want 2KW, not 5KW, and the 2KW seemed scarce in the US, so ordered from China. But I've seen some videos where folks ordered 2KW and got 5KW. Here's hoping. Customer service is almost not existent if it's wrong. That and I wanted the remote control so I can start it in the truck from the kitchen (I hope).

It sure looks like they put a different label on the same heater. Many of the U-tube videos seem to be UK or Aussie. As for whether I'd put it on a boat, I notice the stickers have the CE rating, which is somewhat like our UL. You can look it up if interested. The question is whether the Chinese just put anything on the sticker without the testing. I suspect not as you might not be legally able to sell in Europe without that CE rating. Haven't come across any safety warnings from users in what I have researched.

Scallywag: You made me laugh.
I did put an Espar D2 (2KW or about 7000 BTU) in our 22 cruiser a few years ago. It's not Au Kai. Ours is C'esta. It's about the perfect size heater for ab 22 IMO. And it was a fun project. Some of you gave valuable input. I enjoyed making it as unobtrusive as possible. My only complaint was the Espar controller on-off differential was a little bigger than I'd like. If that differential is closer on what's coming I'm wondering if they are interchangable?

One problem I had on the cruiser was heater exhaust fumes. I had to pull the exhaust tube off the heater and use high temp (600º) ultra silicone to seal it. That took care of the problem. I put a CO sensor on the boat too.

Will update when I get the heater.
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKMel wrote:
And it was a fun project... I enjoyed making it as unobtrusive as possible.

Pictures? I'd love to see your installation.
AKMel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pictures? I'd love to see your installation.

Pix would be better, but I'm reduced to words. I didn't want to intrude into my wife's cabinet space or have ducts going helter-skelter. I tried holding the unit different areas before deciding to placed it high as possible below the bow end of the sink, (just clearing the sink so it couldn't vibrate). I mounted it on a bracket attached to the cabinet wall below the back of the helm seat. I had to do a little fabricating with some plumber strap to support the floppy bracket that came with the heater. The tank went on the opposite side of the cabinet wall under the helm seat, adjacent to the heater. It's close enough to the door so I can fill it with a funnel. The pump is just below the heater, and the fuel line goes through a small hole in the common wall (we hear the pump click a little). I put a small clear-plastic VW beetle fuel filter (It lays horizontal) in the line to catch any possible contaminants. Plus a small valve at the tank so I don't have any fuel run out if I take the tank out to fill it. I forget how I mounted the tank, but it is quickly detachable.

The hot air duct from the heater does a 90˚ and goes straight down where it makes another 90 and hooks to the back side of the adjustable head at the floor. The T-stat/controller is mounted at the helm. I can reach it from the berth without getting up. Combustion air is drawn from inside the cabin just starboard of the helm seat. I routed the exhaust in a gradual descent to the hull fitting so I didn't need the special fitting that bleeds trapped moisture. Exhaust tucks behind the sink drain so nothing is apt to touch it when it is hot. It does get hot.

That made for a nice clean install with minimal ducting. But we found the berths didn't get much heat so I eventually routed a return air duct forward to the sleeping area. (we boat in cold water in Alaska so that might not be an issue for other folks.) The duct tie-wraps to a wiring bundle along the inside of the starboard hull and terminates alongside the console so it draws return air from the berth area.

I hope that is clear enough. Sorry about no pix. I took some and sent admin several requests for a photo album but unfortunately never got a response.
AKMel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I have been tracking my diesel heater for a month. Today I got informed it was delivered and signed for..... to someone in Warsaw, Indiana.

I already filed a dispute. We'll see how good their customer service is. I hope there is a chance they put a wrong tracking number on the package and mine will still come.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a 2015 post I made.

I put an Espar Airtronic D2 in Discovery a few years ago, never really did use it until this year. It has performed flawlessly for us this summer in South East Alaska. It drops into the low 50's each night and we turn everything off overnight. I can hit the on switch and within 10 minutes or less, the cabin is a toasty 70 degrees. There is a dial that increases or decreases the temperature, but not an actual degree setting. I dial down the heat and we can leave it on all day maintaining a comfortable cabin temp. We use the Wallas for cooking only. I bought the Espar on eBay for about $800.00, it was a truckers model. I had to buy a thru hull fitting to exhaust through the cabin wall, and a few air vent parts. I think they came from Sure Marine in the Seattle area. I can recommend the Espar without reservation. There are pictures of my install in the Discovery photo albums. Espar Airtronic D2 install on a TC255

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some pics of my install I just completed..I too wanted the install to be as inobtrusive as possible.
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1972&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Chris

Pandion

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cIWUD-OM4A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YthaCqkMOs

Andy Ryan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: