The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Lake Powell Trip Planning

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gunslinger1

City/Region: Rolla
State or Province: MO
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Lake Powell Trip Planning Reply with quote

Hi C-Brats,

We are new owners of a 22 and have decided on a Lake Powell trip. The recommended time of Sept and Oct does not work for our schedule.

We are considering the the last week of August and my consideration is the crowd.

We are looking for a week of solitude is that possible in the last week of August.

I would love to hear from personal experience of those that have been on the Lake during that time.

Also...My She Captain is expressing concerns of the rats/rodent problem. Any words dealing with this would be great. We learned of this reading the thread on anchoring on Lake Powell.

Thank you for your help.

We have made a few trips on the Mo Lakes and enjoying the boat immensely.

Best,
Tim
Water Bill

City/Region: Lake Keowee, SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: Mystery Girl (Ranger Tug R-23)
Photos: Mystery Girl and C-Swell
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,
Congratulations on your 22, when I lived in Colorado before moving east I made quite a few trips to Lake Powell with my 22. I usually tried to wait until after Labor Day weekend for two reasons. With kids out of school in August there will be quite a lot of families renting house boats along with thier ski boats and jet skies. That being said the lake is big enough you can usually find a place to spend the night that is not to crowded. During the day there will be quite a bit of boat traffic depending on your location.

The second reason we stayed away was the heat. You can expect day time temperatures in the 90’s and once in awhile it can reach into the 100’s. If you are able to jump in and out of the water to cool off it is bearable. My wife was unable to do this so we avoided the hot times of the year.

In my experience the mice/rats have not been that big of a problem. If you have a line tied to the shore slip a frisbee over it and that should keep any unwanted guests from climbing aboard.

If you have never been there I would go ahead and make the trip. It is well worth it.

Boston Whaler Super Sport 17 1986 to 2007
Gunslinger1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Thank you.....that's what I was afraid of. The buzz from the crowd transforms the experience as we have experience on our local lakes.

Where did you put in?

and what part of the Lake is you favorite place to hang out?

thank you,
Tim
Water Bill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,
I launched at Halls Crossing. It was the closest ramp from where I lived in Durango, CO. Just under Four hours away. I enjoyed the area from Halls Crossing down to Rainbow Bridge. Trips up the Escalante River Arm and San Juan River were worth taking to. If you have the time trips to the north end and south end of the lake are fun to. It is about 135 miles from the dam to the north end of the lake. lots of pictures in my album.
Gunslinger1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Great.....

Bill,

Did you ever take a trip at the end of May first of June time frame?

Yes I like to ride and will try to "see it all".

T
Water Bill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been there in March, April and May. You can have some windy cool days in March and April but there are plenty of side canyons to hold up in to stay out of the wind and waves for a day. Boat traffic starts to increase after Memorial Day weekend but it wasn’t all that bad until schools let out. The water is still a little cool around the end of May but the air temperatures are real nice.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that we have been at Powell almost every week (at one time or an other) from Late April thru mid Oct. Granted our favored time was the last of Sept.

We have been there during Labor Day a number of times. We found a place way up canyons, where the sunlight was only direct for a minimal amount of time--and we had shade for even that time. (Tarp with poles) Problem is that often up the slot canyons, where it is more isolated, and less sun--also less wind. Nights are OK, and we have never had difficult sleeping because of the heat--but we do use a fan over the forward hatch, as well as a couple of fans near our heads to keep air circulating. The hulls store up some warmth (and we have insulation on the inside (back packing pads) to minimize that.

The further from launch ramps, and houseboat rentals--the better.

My recollection is that the best place we found that time of year was one of the upper South arms of Iceberg Canyon. I am quite sure that the Andersons and Parsons were with us. We pretty much had the place to ourselves, except for an occasional wake board boat or PWC. We had to go by some snags, and found a nice sandbar.

We have also gotten way up in little Oak Canyon (often mislabeled on the charts); how far up you can go, depends of the lake level. There is one place up there where it looks like the end, but if you squeeze around to the left (north East)) there is room for one more boat--and it is rare that any other boat comes up there.

Always be aware of rocks over head which might fall--there was a land slide across from where we were tied stern to the beach. If there is a heavy rain get out of slot canyons, and into more open anchorage, behind an island or peninsula, to shield from waves. The desert storms can be violent and flash flooding can occur even if rain is miles away. The storms are also some of the most awesome times on the lake--if you are secure.

Often you can arrive fairly early in the AM--and find a place where a houseboat has just left. The further up, the less likely that boats will come by going fast.

Also on occasion we. have found some isolated anchorages up in the middle of San Juan Arm. (Cha--nice hike to petroglyphs) Desha, Piute, and Deep Canyons are possible choices.). Saw coyote up there. Also the South Bank is Navaho Nation, not National Recreational area.. We have never had an issue, but they do run some livestock--both horses and cattle.

I have put some markers on Active Captain about a few of the anchorages.

Never had a real problem with Rodents--we usually used the Frisbee: drill a hole the size of the rope tying the boat to shore (either anchor, sand stakes, or buried dead man). (We always take a folding shovel, and a hatchet) Then cut a slit to the outside perimeter, put a couple of short nylon zip ties, or string to hold that slit closed when you are secure.

Be sure that the bow anchor will hold well. Sometimes, if there is a lot of traffic and wakes--you need to pull off the shore a few feet during the daytime.

Having said all of this, I agree with one of my friends (retired Captain) of Florida Marine Patrol: We need to have Rifle, pistol, bow and arrow, sling shot, crossbow, etc seasons on PWC and Wake Board boats which break the law! (Idle or wakeless speed within 150 feet of any boat, person in the water or person fishing.).Angry These seem to be never enforced. Also no PWC after sunset or before sunrise in Utah, but OK (with running lights, in Arizona). People who launch in Arizona, seem to feel that can violate Utah's laws....

Quote:
Did you ever take a trip at the end of May first of June time frame?

As Bill, we found the lake pretty free in May, more in June, But for us the water was too cold. We like to spend a lot of time in the water. There is some reduction if the week slot time is not contigious with the holiday. We were at Powell one Memorial Day, when I heard more MayDay's than I have ever heard in my life. Violent storm--and many small and house boats in serious trouble. Also have alternate anchorages picked out--one night we had to move after dark, because of the waves. It was only a few hundred feet---and we just swung on one hook for the rest of the night. We have had the dinghy blown over the top of the boat--so if you are using any dinghy, kayak, etc--secure it very well, or take it aboard during storms.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL

Last edited by thataway on Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gunslinger1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Bob........Very helpful
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been there a few times. Once some time ago in a rented house boat over Father's day, the last few years in my C-Dory. About 3 or 4 years ago in the C-Dory with my wife, and the temps was pushing 100. We were ok with a fan going in our v-berth. Last year I went by myself in late September I believe. Always manage to find somewhere away from the houseboats, and have never had a problem with mice or rats, although I read the same reports you have. I did have a frisbe over my lines, but I suspect any determined rat would find a way over it. Just don't keep food or scraps open on deck. I've always launched at Bullfrog. Then mostly headed west. (Although I did go a few miles east last time.) I like the area between Bullfrog and Dangling Rope Marina, as many beautiful and interesting canyons. I also went a ways down the San Juan arm this past summer. Some interesting geology along it, but the main part of Lake Powell has more to explore I feel.
It really is a big enough lake to find somewhere every night to anchor. Or beach. Enjoy. Colby
Gunslinger1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading these post has us very excited.......Solved the crowd problem as a preceding engagement has our trip moved to the middle of October.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked launching at Bullfrog last year. A "last dash" for groceries isn't easy like the launches down by the dam, but the drive in was nice and remote. It puts you in the mood for Lake Powell.

The rat problem doesn't get bad until early June. Gone by mid October. They're on jet skis.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunslinger1 wrote:
Reading these post has us very excited.......Solved the crowd problem as a preceding engagement has our trip moved to the middle of October.

Middle of October is best for sure! We absolutely loved our last trip to Powell in 2014, and spent most of our time on the beach with Dr. Bob and Marie and a few other folks. It was great NOT to have to "see the sights." We did that in 2008, 2009 and 2010. It is about time for us to get back to Powell, but not next year, that will be our Viking Grand European Cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest! Maybe 2020!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Viking cruising s Reply with quote

Pat we did that Grand tour in 2017 from Buda-Pest to Amsterdam what a fantastic trip . We loved we are doing a Russian Viking trip this year Take care hope to see you on a Gathering or in PNW area JimW
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: