The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Older C-Dory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Two Happy

City/Region: Bothell
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Older C-Dory Reply with quote

Hello C-Dory Owners. We are contemplating an 22 C-Dory Angler so we can put benches in the cockpit for lounging about, a huge priority for us. We had benches in our sailboat and absolutely loved them and they were even slept on and the most used seats in the house even though we had a nice dinette and couch in the cabin. Although the 22 Crusader cabin would be nicer, the lounging space is more important, hence our considering the angler. We would need to buy used.

WHAT DO WE NEED TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT IN AN OLDER C-DORY- any year from 1985 forward. Especially need information on older boats as it seems we don't see many 22 Anglers come up for sale that are not newer than 2000 in our region. Don't want to go to Florida for one though we have traveled long distance for an RV. Do they have dry rot issues? Can a surveyor determine that? Thank you.

DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with Tim at Sportcraft Marina in Portland, Or. Tim has a really nice 1985 C-Dory 22 Angler that is still listed for sale on their website. I talked to Tim about this boat a few weeks ago and he said it was owned by an elderly man and he is selling it for health reasons. The boat has gone through Sportcraft's shop and Tim said it is 100% ready to hit the water. It looks to be well cared for and in good shape. If interrested, definately pay to have a Marine Survey on the boat to make sure the hull and transom etc. are in a good state. You mention a 22 Angler from 1985 and newer and so this caught my attention for your search.

Gary.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boats prior to 1987 have an entirely different hull bottom. It is flat, with some rocker up to the forward bulkhead--These are mostly plywood core. There are a number of other areas.

Some are in good shape--some are not in good shape. The ride will be somewhat different. The ride in rough water may not be an issue for you. But both types will benefit from the Permatrim and trim tabs.

Any core penetration into the inner surface of the bottom of the boat is a potential for core delimitation, and issues.

Dry rot, is somewhat different--but the effect is the same. There can be loss of integrity. Think of the bottom of the boat as an "I" beam. The upper_- are the skins of fiberglass on the bottom of the boat, and the inner liner of the cockpit.

The core is the "I" or vertical part of the beam which gives strength against flexing.

As far as the issue of the door opening. You can fold down benches, open the door, and fold them up again. (on port side). There are some boats which don't have the aft bulkhead--and could have even larger benches on each side--as the "Commuter" version of the C Dory 22 has, except going inside and outside.

Again, seeing the boats in person, taking a tape measure, and seeing what may have to be done to an early boat is important. I have followed the 1993 C Dory 22 as it has had 4 owners after I sold it. It has had a new engine, and updated electronics but used regularly and run hard--boat still doing very well. Each time it sold, it was very near to the original purchase price in 1993 (All of the original paper work came with the boat).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the motor sound? It may be a mute point if you intend on repowering or it is pretty new. I looked at one in Renton a couple weeks ago, '86 Classic 22 with a 60 hp mercury 4 stroke. A sheen of oil upon launch, ran good, sheen of oil when taking out and oil dripping with water from mid case of motor onto anti cavitation plate. Checked oil level and between full and add mark so I decided to keep looking.

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: