View previous topic :: View next topic  
homerjack

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 49er
Photos: 49er
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: USS Fitzgerald Investigative Report Reply with quote

This was recently published by investigative journalists. For those interested.

https://features.propublica.org/navy-accidents/uss-fitzgerald-destroyer-crash-crystal/
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link--difficult reading on many levels. There are many stories of heroism, and dereliction on different levels. It brings out some very personal stories. Our military is not prepared if incidents like this happen in "peacetime".

$10,000 and a visit to West Marine, would have given the ship's officers more information than they seem to have from hundreds of millions of dollars worth of electronics. (one functioning 24 mile dual image Radar, an AIS transceiver, and a good chart plotter would have given more information than they had.).

I have a friend who does yacht deliveries. He has a portable setup--his own Radar, MDF, GPS, 25 watt VHF with antenna, & AIS receiver, he carries with him "just in case". Also a fuel polishing setup...All can be taken aboard airliners in their cases.

But--personal interactions--especially between the female officers on the Bridge and the Combat Information Center were very lacking. There are some questions answered for me. I have a read most of the formal report released. Not mentioned before was why there was no starboard lookout. (She was helping another sailor with training on the port side--and rarely crossed over to the Starboard--from which side the Crystal came.)

The lack of maintenance of critical radars, no use of AIS are unforgivable.

I live in a community where many are retired Navy-- Their opinions of course are varied, but all say it isn't the way it used to be.

Sailing a small boat across oceans is so much different than what these folks go thru--that I don't think you can compare. Yet the basics are the same. You don't get a lot of sleep/rest. You are on duty 24/7, and you are all responsible for the ship and your shipmates. You have to be fully aware when you are standing watch.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
homerjack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good comments, Bob. It's a remarkable piece of reporting and a testament to the continued need for first rate journalism at a time when it's disappearing by the minute.

To my mind, what is most striking is the long term dereliction of the 7th Fleet in regards to manpower, maintenance and training. That is an institutional failing. The accident was waiting to happen, it just took the right situation. The subsequent accident involving the USS John McCain is further evidence of this dereliction.

While it may have felt good to fire Admiral, Captain, etc. I doubt that the underlying cause of dereliction resides at the 7th Fleet Command level alone. We can quibble about who did or did not do what that tragic night and all the immediate contributing factors. But as one who was trained in and taught accident investigation, one of our most basic techniques is to keep asking the very simple question "why?" until the ultimate root cause is tracked down. That inquiry would lead you far beyond the confines of this particular destroyer.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very interesting read, with great graphics. What a story. Terrible, unfortunate situation and a lot of people who took a stick for decisions made way farther up the tree, and back in time. I sure hope that the Navy has learned something from this and that maintenance now has a higher priority.

One thing that bothers me. Was the lap top using an actual AIS receiver, or were they relying on a web based AIS for positioning of other vessels?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

homerjack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part Two of this report:

https://features.propublica.org/navy-accidents/us-navy-crashes-japan-cause-mccain/
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homerjack wrote:
Part Two of this report:

https://features.propublica.org/navy-accidents/us-navy-crashes-japan-cause-mccain/

Damning! Again, on many levels.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey are they still running the "boomer" re-supply Vessels (that is what I was told they were) out of Sequin? It was interesting process--last watched about 6 years ago. Vessel looks like it was from WWII. I wonder if they have AIS?
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Harvey are they still running the "boomer" re-supply Vessels (that is what I was told they were) out of Sequin? It was interesting process--last watched about 6 years ago. Vessel looks like it was from WWII. I wonder if they have AIS?

Bob, the "Olympic Venture" disappeared from John Wayne about 4 years ago. Hated to see that, and I don't know where it went. I always seriously enjoyed watching them dock that boat. It's about 90 feet long, single screw, no thrusters, and they backed it into position from outside of the marina entrance. It was always fun to watch, and usually done very well with perfect precision and communication. I don't know about AIS on board. I did run across it on the water a couple of times, but don't believe I had an AIS target on my plotter.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One if the boats which was used had a direct reversing diesel. There is no transmission. The engine was stopped, then using compressed air, started (often only.a few turns of the screw) in reverse--stopped and started in forward--to dock or leave. Yes, very entertaining--and always done perfectly!

Thanks
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great journalism. The arrogance of the "high command" is mind boggling.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: