The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

03/05 - 03/07 - Hontoon Island, Florida CBGT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have to be back home on the 21st, and it's a 3 day drive barring no bad weather. I also have a friend in the St. Mary's area and thought it's be fun to visit and do some boating with him sometime, but I prefer to hang with C-Brats. Very Happy So a lot just depends on where we are on the river at the time, and how far we are from getting back to make the drive home. Wink Colby
C. A. Derivas

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Serendipity
Photos: Bettie's Bataeu
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, C. A. is scheduled to have right hip replacement surgery on February 21 so we are going to have to withdraw from the gathering. It makes us very sad as we were looking forward to seeing everyone and seeing St. John's again.

Know everyone will have a wonderful time. We look forward to reading about it and seeing pictures.

Have a great time!! C. A. and Bettie

thataway

C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I promised Bettie tonight, I'll keep the group up to date on CA's surgery;.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Gulfcoastjohn

C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: CAT 'O MINE
Photos: CAT 'O MINE
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck and health to C.A.!

We enjoy having a ‘hip pocket’ (or folder) of possible mini-cruises that can be stitched together or trailered to separately with pre-planned research on marinas, distances, and routes.

One of them is the Everglades (namely pieces of the 100 mile Everglades Wilderness Boating Trail, kind of like pieces of the Great Loop). The official line is ‘unsuitable for boats over 18 feet long or high sides or windshields due to overhanging vegetation” and areas like “The Nightmare’ where it’s only 6 inches deep at low tide, 12 inches at high tide. Yet, EZDuzit posted here in 2016 about doing it in a CD22.

There is also a dam and fixed 10ft bridge on the Buttonwood canal north of Flamingo (the park road), so I might have to remove the radar dome to squeeze under that. There is an anchorage above that described on Active Captain by Mike Rizzo (‘knotflying’, a frequent poster on TugNuts.com) who captains a Ranger 27 which would be even taller than Cat O’ Mine (we’ve seen his boat at Ranger gatherings). I wonder how he got there, since his beef was the 2$/ft fee at Flamingo.

Another option would be staying on the Gulf side if winds are calm or not from the west or screaming out of the north (although some areas out to the 3-mile line are charted as 1 ft and 3 ft deep at MLLW). 3 miles out in the Gulf is out of sight of land for a 6-ft fellow like me.
From the Gulf we could duck into the deeper rivers to explore the interior. Per NPS rules, boaters can’t land on any of the 10,000 islands that don’t have a campsite or ‘chickee’ on them, and only then ¼ mile away and out of sight. (See list at NPS).

In any event, the Everglades is the biggest designated wilderness east of the Rockies, with some of these areas over 50 miles from civilization…beyond cell phone and VHF radio range. (I admit that some snobs who have been there would insist that Everglades City is not ‘civilization’, but I digress).
End point could be Calusa Island Marina (ramp, rig storage, pool, $2.50/ft) or Port of the Islands (SAA at $1.00/ft!!) but up a long canal, both at/near Everglades City, which we’ve visited before including tourist cruising boat. Calusa uses Dockwa (24h cancellation policy) but I bet not needed at this time of year.

Rig shuttle logistics would be challenging due to the remoteness of Flamingo from Homestead and (much less so) Calusa from Naples, but it’s only money and you can’t take it with you.
Yes, this will be our most successive days anchoring out and our most days not at a 4 or 5-star marina on this (#13) boat.
This trip would be miserable during a March artic blast, but it was 80 degrees today.

We’d appreciate any comments or suggestions from those more familiar with the area as we continue to develop this folder. Ed Stone to Flamingo is only 350 miles. There are no marinas between Flamingo (primitive since Wilma, but now has ethanol free gas) and Port of the Islands (ETOH free gas, showers, laundry, pool and even…unlike Bumpus Mills…restrooms, not just one port-a-potty with corn-cobs!).

I see this as a mostly idle speed at high tide trip. See Saltwatertides.com, Florida, Gulf Coast, Shark River and environs for times and days. Forget any day or tide where the ‘Height Feet’ is less than 1.0 for charted MLLW of under 1.0 or 1.5 feet on the Trail (Active Captain has it).

And we’ll do fine.

Looking forward to Hontoon and seeing everyone there!
PS

What are all the little linear red one-footed chickens on the Active Captain charts? Latitude lines?
What are all the red dashed lines? At some mags they seem ‘best course’, but at others seem random?

John

BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We might be able to sneak in a two day visit, without our boat, begging for rides! Any opinions as to when would be the best times to be there? We would either arrive early Tues. AM and depart Thurs. AM or arrive Wed. am and depart early Friday.
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill
I’d recommend arriving Tuesday but ether will work....Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John the stylized birds -and from Navionics charts are really a nautical chart symbol: for bird sanctuary.

Nautical chart one, which we should all either have on our boats in PDF on an iPad or laptop, or the book....

This is in section N 22.1 Areas or limits. often it is also waters which are not well charted or shifting channels. There are some rather rigorous rules about tearing up sea grass in these areas.

Not a bad idea to up date all of our information--since wind generators are now a part of the symbols! Lots of very interesting info on this.

We have boated this area in our 18' Caracal Cat--on both sides if the dam at Flamingo, up the canal, and out into Florida Bay. (You have to haul out, drive the boat on the trailer a few hundred feet to pass thru this area). When we were there, there was no lockage thru. There are parts of the marina on the Everglades and Florida Bay side of the lock/dam.)

Even though this is late winter/early spring--we have seen "air conditioning" days and nights in this area. We have also stayed at several of the primitive campgrounds in the everglades in the RV. I believe that nows, one has to make reservations. You are correct that the storms can blow up--especially suddenly, Also lots of bugs and pests abound. Have the "no See-em screens ready. The Caracal is not a boat for overnighting, but it is fast and shoal draft, so we covered lots of miles during the days--as well a plenty of low speed birding.

My recollection of the Button Wood Canal bridge is that our impression was that the C Dory would not easily pass under--at the water levels we had. The Rangers have a folding radar mast, so their height may be less than the Tom Cat. Also if you are interested in camping--we had to wait at a primitive camp--get in line each AM to see if there was going to be a campsite available with power. It took us a couple of days to get a campsite.

The Florida Everglades WaterTribe challenge passes thru this area the first part of March. This is somewhat similar to the Race 2 AK...in that it is sail, paddle, human power.
Gulfcoastjohn

C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: CAT 'O MINE
Photos: CAT 'O MINE
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob!
Very helpful; downloaded Chart 1 (never would have guessed it wasn't unique to Navionics and have never seen the bird symbol on my Maptech paper chart kits or "Garmin chips).

BillE,
You're spoiled and won't like the BBQ.
John
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m posting this link for the after gathering trip to Jacksonville.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?p=328991#328991

Should be fun......Tom
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brats,

I’m sorry to say that Marcia and I on Valkyrie ll will not be attending the Gathering as planned. I had total knee replacement surgery in December and am not at the point where I trust it on slippery decks and slimy boat ramps.

Have fun!

Nick and Marcia
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So close. It turns out that I'm taking a red-eye to Orlando and arriving on the 2nd. Unfortunately, it is to help move my in-laws north. Packing and driving a moving van to Wilmington will eat up all of my time. No BBQ manatee for me.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Water Bill

City/Region: Lake Keowee, SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: Mystery Girl (Ranger Tug R-23)
Photos: Mystery Girl and C-Swell
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,
You are going to be near by. If your plans change and you end up with some free time, it’s just me on Misty Girl so I have room for one more. Still remember the good time we had at Lake Powell cruising with Lew a few years ago. I need to get back to Powell again. Hope we get to meet up again at some point.

Boston Whaler Super Sport 17 1986 to 2007
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are planing on spending Saturday night before the gathering (March 2) at DeLeon Springs. The Pancake breakfast is always a real treat, and this is an anchorage which is not frequented often.

It appears that Tom and Joyce will not be able to lead this year, so we are volunteering to "show the way" (We have done the trip 3 times, so feel somewhat qualified. Tom tells me that the water is high this year, and plenty of depth to get to the springs.

Please indicate your interest at this Link . For DeLeon Spring March 2, Saturday before the gathering.

We may also stop at Silver Glen Springs either coming or going back to Hontoon. There are a number of wonderful side channel trips if interested.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at a way to bypass Nashville on our way down. Has anyone used or familiar with, the following routing.

At Clarksville, TN, take Hwy 48 thru Dickson, and then Hwys 46 and 7 thru Columbia (TN) then back on to I65? This is a smaller highway that stays west of Nashville. I don't tow faster than 65mph anyway, and this routing only adds 3 miles to staying on I65 through Nashville. Depending on what time we hit Nashville, (Usually around 8:30am), the traffic isn't always bad, but sometimes it is. And I don't mind seeing some new scenery.

Colby
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sympathize with you about Nashville traffic. We have relatives there. However if we are going to our farm, which is about 60 miles South of Chicago IL, we often will avoid any 65 all together, or come into I 65 at Cullman, AL. This is using secondary 4 lane divided roads. For example we take I 45 from Mobile (not good in Alabama), but once in Ms and TN, it is mostly all 4 lane divided with limited crossing. Get on I 57 at Cairo, Il. via 51 Or we may take 45 ( I 69 briefly) to I 24 to I 57.

The route you are thinking certainly is OK for farm trucks and the size of loads with the C Dory. Often there are speed limits, and stops/stop signals on these type of roads. What I would do, is take Google Maps, (or Earth) to very close up and even street views of what may be the problem areas in this smaller roads. Follow along the route and look for major intersections, lights, low speed zones etc. Marie may know a little more about those specific roads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: