thechadmiller

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Agostino
Photos: Agostino
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback everybody. Not that I've narrowed it down any.
Budget + no davit + no way of really trying out the options = we'll just take a guess and see how it goes. I'll probably just watch CraigsList for a while and see if anything good pops up or maybe try and find a pal with a kayak to try out.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechadmiller wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback everybody. Not that I've narrowed it down any.
Budget + no davit + no way of really trying out the options = we'll just take a guess and see how it goes. I'll probably just watch CraigsList for a while and see if anything good pops up or maybe try and find a pal with a kayak to try out.

Chad, there is a way to check out several dingy/inflatables. Even if you don't come on the boat. Come up to Friday Harbor, (you can drive there by car, or walk onto the ferry) and there will be a bunch of C-Dorys there with several different types of tender craft.

I might even have a Porta-bote there to take a look at.

(BTW, the offer is still out there if you want.)

Also, I might be able to help with a new Garhour Lift if interested. PM me please.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thechadmiller

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Agostino
Photos: Agostino
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but our trip will be done or on the last day or so for the gathering. We’ll need our dinghy by then for making the most of our trip. It’s fine, I’ve heard enough to kinda know what we are getting into with our available affordable options.
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Choices Reply with quote

thechadmiller wrote:
We won't be able to afford a motor at this time and will be paddling and hoping for good conditions

Just re-read your original post, and in the case of no motor, I'd probably go with the Kaboat given those two options. The Kaboat actually rows very well when using the oars (not so much if paddled like a kayak). Then if/when you decide to get a motor, it only takes a 2.5 hp, so that's relatively inexpensive, light weight, and it pushes the Kaboat pretty well. There are some photos in my "My Old Boats" album showing the Kaboat on the roof of the 22, and under power.

Personally, of all the various dinghy options in the fleet, my inflatable kayak gets the most use. It's lighter and smaller and sets up quicker and easier than any Kaboat or dinghy, and paddles really well. But with 2 or more people you'd need 2 or more kayaks, so maybe a moot point. The Kaboat is a good compromise, and due to it's long length you can use the leverage to get it up on the roof surprisingly easy (recommend adding some cross-bars to your roof rack thanks to the 4 surfboard fins on the bottom, if going the Kaboat route).

All that said, I just recently sold my Kaboat, finding I prefer the kayak or a much larger 9.5' dinghy w/ inflatable floor & keel (w/ 6 hp outboard) most of the time. Just like with all boats, everything is a compromise, including the dinghies!

Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: