The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Thru Hull Transducers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NCPete

City/Region: Smith Mountain Lake
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: POMPANO
Photos: POMPANO
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: My Garmin transducer is in my small bilge Reply with quote

I epoxied my Garmin transducer in the small bilge under the sink in my 22'. I use it for depth, temperature, and fish finding. Works great and no new hole in hull. Speed comes from GPS. Second boat with installation like this. Garmin was ok with installation. In place now 9 years with no problems and good results with small bilge pump next to transducer.
Pete

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike for that info. Yes I have a merc, and I did recently install a smart gauge and wiring to that from the engine. (I don't think I can link that into my NMEA 2000 system, altho that would be nice since my Garmin Chartplotter has an engine gauge page. But maybe I should look more into that also.) I'll have to research more if my engine has the speed pickup somewhere, I know speed is not registering on the smart gauge.

Regarding why I want water speed? GPS over the ground speed gives us just that, over the ground. But for trolling or just want to know, it'd be good to know what the current is or speed of the boat over water. Yes, I can just stop and drift to get that. But sometimes that's not always possible or ideal. And having a water speed readout would give one instant notification of the current. Is it really necessary, no, not really. Just nice to have....

Chuck, thanks for that advice. I do have a decent tach in the boat now, so maybe after recording some of my numbers, I can do exactly as you say. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, I have a transom mount transducer with a paddle wheel. (And it has twice in 1400 hours actually kicked up.) The ducer remains intact and functioning after those 2 times.

As to why you want water speed. I get what you are looking at/for. I make the comparison of GPS and water speed frequently, checking on that current flow rate happening right under me at the moment.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: