View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinDU

City/Region: Terrace
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Otter
Photos: Sea Otter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Southeast Alaska Charts Wanted Reply with quote

Does anyone have used charts for sale? Hoping to get a better deal compared to buying new ones for US $20 each. I need the following charts:

THANK YOU!
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paper charts?
i might have some of those.

KevinDU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, looking for PAPER CHARTS.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one time I left a complete set of charts and guides for the inland passage with our of the members in Sequim—who moved away and I believe sold his boat. You might ask around and see if one of the boaters there still has these. US charts are not copy rite, so you can copy them legally.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider Chart Books. We have 2 for the Inside Passage and SE Alaska, which were good enough to use pre-MFD. Got us through without any trouble and the annotations we put in give a reminder of what we saw.

They are Marine Atlas, Vol 2, published by Bayless Enterprises, and Exploring Alaska, by Evergreen Pacific Publishing. Please remember that our editions are 20 yrs old. I can also recommend Charlies Charts, but they're a cruising guide.

Paper charts are a bear to use on a small boat, even for reference only. Chart books are bound volumes, self contained and easy to flip and store.

Another alternative is to download the charts from NOAA (free) you want and have them locally printed. Understand this probably is not you first option.

Boris
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Boris, we take along the chart book Marine Atlas, volume 2 & also the large rollable Inside Passage, route planning map published by FineEdge. It comes in both North & South section maps. We have had these since our first SE Alaska cruise in 2003. 2004 was the last year we took separate paper charts. Since 2010 & having a iPad with it’s downloaded charts, I seldom even use Marine Atlas or the FineEdge chart. One of our FineEdge charts is framed & on the wall, the other is mostly used for sharing or gathering information while cruising.
KevinDU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Marine Atlas published by Bayless Enterprises and I will have the CF Card for Southeast Alaska which is about 10 years old but compatible with my Raymarine C70. I also have the BlueChart g2 HD for my Garmin Oregon 450 as a backup. Do you think that's all I need for Southeast Alaska? In Canada we still need to carry paper charts, it's the law! Not in the USA?
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, I don’t think you need anything more, but this FineEdge chart for planning & a overall view while cruising, I’ve found to be well worth the price & a useful tool. It rolls up well making it easy to store until wanted to view. Some others will disagree, but I’m of the opinion for the most part paper charts are now relics of the past & the money for them could be put to use in many other more beneficial ways. Like the large laminated chart shown below.

Jay
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went thru this pile of charts and I do not think I have one you want. I have the following if any one else is interested.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDU,

You have more than we used. Let's not beat this to death. Whet you have is very good: 1 chart book, a CF Card/Raymarine C70 and a BlueChart g2 HD for a Garmin Oregon 450 (whatever that is.) That's paper and 2 redundant MFD's.

Looks like you're set. Remember, 10 years is a blink of the eye in geologic time; just keep an eye out for the ATOMS, they may have been reset.

Remember Y2K, where we didn't know if our GPS's would continue to operate after New Years Eve, 2000, Went through that in Alaska without a hitch.

Boris
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no law in the USA for recreational vessels to have paper charts. We had over 200 charts aboard--and a proper 4' x 3' chart table when we did our first 4 trips on the Inland passage (and GPS--a real innovation!). I saw a Trimble Chart plotter/computer, which cost over $10,000 at the time...I lusted for one. But made do with the paper charts. More recent trips--only the Atlas. I had the "Fine Edge Chart--before it was produced by "Fine Edge"--and used it for planning.

You will do fine with what you have. Although the hand held Oregon 450 is a little smaller than I like, it works very well in the dinghy.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did 1600 miles through South East Alaska in 2015. The one resource we used every day was Navionics US and Canada on the iPad. Navionics on the C-80 as a back-up. I realize Garmin now owns Navionics and who knows how they have screwed that up by now.

We also have and used the Fine Edge Charts.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent, we too in 2015, as we cruised together, used the iPad with Navionics with the US & Canada as our primary & again did so in 2016, but last summer, while up there it started glitching. Following a complete shutdown, while at a port it wouldn’t upload the maps. I had two ipads & it did the same on both, fortunately never at the same time. Last fall it worked well at Lake Powell, but I suspect if we want to use it on our next planned SE Alaska cruise in 2020 it will have to be by yearly subscription if at all. Garmin has quit the blue chart app downloads too. I had them both & though preferring Navionics, the Garmin blue chat app worked well also. They are also shutting down their rode map apps. I have the Garmin NAVIGON app & really liked it on the iPad for road travel.

I think Garmin has come to the conclusion that offering a $50 app on a IPad that worked as well as many expensive chart plotters was not good for their primary business of making & selling plotters & have no problem with screwing over the customers that purchased them.
Ken O

City/Region: West Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Ravens' Roost
Photos: Ravens’ Roost
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Paper charts Reply with quote

All NOAA charts are available in PDF format direct from NOAA. Find a place near you where architects and engineers get their plans printed and have them print the PDFs for you. We have a Selby's store in Billings that will print the latest PDF file for you for around $7.00, and that includes waterproof/tearproof paper. If you have access to graphics software, you can cut out the parts of the chart that you don't need so you don't have to pay for square footage that you won't use.
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Paper charts Reply with quote

Ken O wrote:
All NOAA charts are available in PDF format direct from NOAA. Find a place near you where architects and engineers get their plans printed and have them print the PDFs for you. We have a Selby's store in Billings that will print the latest PDF file for you for around $7.00, and that includes waterproof/tearproof paper. If you have access to graphics software, you can cut out the parts of the chart that you don't need so you don't have to pay for square footage that you won't use.

That certainly sounds like a real bargain for $7.00, especially color with the waterproof and tear proof paper!

But who wants full size charts on a C Dory going to AK? The 200 plus charts we carried before the GPS plotters, took up a huge amount of room.

You can buy chart books, or self print the charts you want from the PDF files, cutting the exact detail you need and put it on standard print paper--put in mylar or acrylic sleeves and in a binder for a lot less room and cost.

We do carry charts for planing and backup--but see above for the charts that most use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: