View previous topic :: View next topic  
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:04 am    Post subject: stabalizing binoculars Reply with quote

I’ve been interested in stabilizing binos but haven’t yet bit. There have been several threads here the past few years, but at $1,000 plus still not in my range. Then this showed up on Amazon. Not only is it 4-16 power, but it does lots of other things also.
All for under $500.

ATN BinoX-HD 4-16x/65mm Smart Day & Night Smart HD Binocular w/1080p Video, Geotagging Rangefinder, WiFi, E-Compass, E-Zoom, 3D Gyroscope, IOS & Android Apps

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I6PF6ZA/ref=crt_ewc_img_srh_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone know anything about this? Too good to be true?

Chuck

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Interesting product, but I suggest you proceed very carefully, which you are.

I've never heard of this product or manufacturer. From Japan? Taiwan? Korea? China? European? Elsewhere?

Any good optical product will have posted reviews available from reputable magazines, trade journals, sellers, etc. Don't buy anything for that kind of money without a positive consensus from several sources that are legitimate and not just sponsored sales pitches.

What is the warranty? Where are they serviced in the U.S.? Read the repair contract from the service center. Standard charges? Labor $/hr?

All major manufacturers have service facilities in the U.S.: Leica, Zeiss, Nikon, Fufinon, Steiner, Hasselblad, etc. The Fujinon 14 x 40 I.S. binos are sent back to Japan by the U.S. Importer's shop/vendor if it's necessary to work on the stabilization mechanisms, but I'd prefer they go back to the factory rather than have them worked on by an omnibus repair shop anyway! (I have a pair, but have never had to have them worked on, just read about it before I bought mine.)

These seem like they're an optical system that's highly integrated with a lot of digital electronic systems. Does that make them less reliable or more prone to electronic problems or failure? Will the optics still work if the electronics fail or the battery goes dead? On all the image stabilized binoculars I've owned or seen, the binos still work without stabilization if the battery quits or the I. S. system otherwise shuts down. I use mine without the I.S. most of the time, anyway, if I don't need the stabilization.

I don't want to be too negative on your discovery, it just seems prudent to raise some logical questions and concerns. I'm very interested in what you find out.

Good Luck!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Randall

City/Region: Salish Sea
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Moonshine
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATN is a respected maker of night vision scopes, so I wouldn't worry too much about sketchy quality. I would be concerned that these are digital, not optical devices. Peering into the eye cups will be more like looking into a digital camera view finder than traditional binoculars. Also, once digital magnification is increased to, or above, 10x, the view becomes blocky and pixellated (according to professional reviews).

Interesting device, though.

Randall
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the 1 star reviews on Amazon, Personally I wouldn't make that purchase..

Gene

pluscount

City/Region: Rathdrum (CDA)
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Draken
Photos: Draken
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the Canon 10x30 ($460 Amazon) and 15x50 ($1050 Amazon) for many years. Not marine grade but I love them.
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fujinon Tecno Stabi 14x40 is the Gold Standard for stabilized Binocs. $995 at Amazon. I bought a set from folks getting out of boating for $600 and sold them years later when we got out for $700! Think of them as an investment.
Some on ebay now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujifilm-Fujinon-techno-stabi-14x40/113509221150?hash=item1a6dad431e:g:wIsAAOSwAFFcF~45:rk:1:pf:0

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chuck,
I too had been thinking about stabilized binoculars for a long time, but couldn't justify spending the money they cost. Most were over $1000. I had an excellent opportunity to borrow/use one of our fellow Brats pair, and while quite impressed with them, learned a reality. They will not stop the rolling of your boat on a less than calm day. What they do is stop your hand from the normal shaking that is magnified greatly at the higher magnification of these binoculars. That being said, I did recently find a pair that were available for around $650.
https://www.amazon.com/Fujinon-Techno-Stabi-TS12x28-Stabilization-Binocular/dp/B0798BBL9Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1546885817&sr=8-3&keywords=fujifilm+techno-stabi+12x28
My thought process changed from expecting something that would stop the movement of my boat rolling in rough water when I was trying to see something, to it would be nice to have a pair of binoculars that I could see wildlife and nature from a distance away on fairly calm water. Again, I had learned that the real reason for stabilization, was at the higher magnification, that stabilization stopped the small natural movement of our hands. Perhaps you already know this, but maybe others wondering about stabilized binoculars are like I was and do not. Colby
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a set of the cannon 10X and just love them. they are now my go to bino for everything. I found them on craigslist or offer up for $100. glass is great and the stabilization is wonderful. They are not very water proof. Wish is weird for a item that is used on boats
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078JS18CZ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B078JS18CZ&pd_rd_w=7PTY2&pf_rd_p=21517efd-b385-405b-a405-9a37af61b5b4&pd_rd_wg=4cZ0I&pf_rd_r=K518F2GM61NX94H6DSQQ&pd_rd_r=e8b30cd0-12cb-11e9-9294-cb2508f7cc9b
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great posts with great ideas.

I can't bring myself to exit without chiming in in favor of a Vortex optic for your boat:
http://vortexoptics.com/category/binoculars

Not a marine optic. However, the incredible glass, magnification, HD (extra-low dispersion glass that results in HD images), argon gas purging, and UNBELIEVABLE warranty (forever! return it if anything happens; even if it's your fault, gives you a piece of mind that you can't beat.

I don't work for Vortex, nor do I have a stake in the company. I use, and love their products out on the water, and they flat work. My favorite out on the water is:

http://vortexoptics.com/category/vulture_hd_binoculars

Good luck,

D

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had my Canon 15x50 binocs about 19 years & the Fujinon 14x40 for 4 years. The Canons are preferred on land or anywhere less stabilizing is necessary. They feel less awkward when viewing & are less complicated to use. The Fujinon is much better than the Canon for boat use due mainly to the vastly better stabilizing. The batteries last much longer in the Fujinon, also I have brought both on our long SE Alaska cruises & disagree with Colby’s review of them just stabilizing the hand movement. That may be accurate with the higher powered Canons, but with the Fujinon, I have had very good results viewing wildlife, other boats & markers in fairly rough conditions, that would have been impossible to make out without the stabilization. Of course there are limits to how rough the seas can be to use, but the Fujinon 14x40 is much better than the Canons or any other binoculars I’m aware of. It seems for some they are difficult to use, as I’ve had at least 2 fellow C-Brats say they were unusable for them, but many more than that, said they loved them, except for the price. I cruise to see & the stabilized binoculars allow me to see much more, that I would otherwise miss, so to me well worth the price.

I have found like Tom, the Canons don’t hold up well in the wet.

Chuck, I would recommend passing on the ATN & look for a deal on the Fujinon. I got mine on EBay for $750 in 2015.

Jay

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Fuji 14x40 for many years. I do feel that they are worth the price. You pay not only for the stabilizing mechanism and prisms, plus the high quality Fujinon optics. I agree with those who say be leery of the digital image. I have used the Fuji in some very rough weather, and they stood up to the tests.

Also I have a pair of Fujinon 8 x 50's which I have owned for more than 40 years--and several hundred thousand miles of salt water use at sea. No fungus, no loss of resolution, as good as new.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Gulfcoastjohn

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: CAT 'O MINE
Photos: CAT 'O MINE
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: fuji Reply with quote

I have also had Colby's Fuji 12x28 for over 10 years, and I think they're great on the boat. However, Eileen finds them difficult to use and prefers the Steiner non-stabilized marine binocs when picking out targets and other boats quickly.

Overall I agree 100% with Hunkydory, it seems a personal choice.

So, spend 2 Boat Units and then decide then which binocs you and your mate like best.

Happy Shopping!
John

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for non stabilized optic you can not go wrong with vortex. Great glass as a good price and the unlimited warranty is the best. You could be the 5th owner and drop them, send them in and get a new pair. We have a total of 4 vortex,one canon and two nikon that I can think off.
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW- Canon 12X36 image stabilizer 'knockers' as my young nephew use to call them, has held up very well over the past 10 years. Takes 2 AA batteries and used every day to spot Eagles, boats, etc.

I would buy again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: