The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Question regarding moisture in the cabin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rock knocker

City/Region: Georgetown
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Question regarding moisture in the cabin Reply with quote

Ok so finally got my new to me 22ft cruiser out to bodega bay for a couple days to finish up rock fish season. We stayed on the boat in a slip. My issue is there was so much moisture over night in the cabin it was literally dripping everywhere. First night we used a heater and i figured that might have caused it but second night no heater and exact same thing. Drippping all over. Anyone else have this problem and if so how do you fix it? Thanks for any advice.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that is the million dollar question! Crying or Very sad I think we all deal with condensation when the humidity is high and/or we can't open up the boat when it's cold outside. One of our members had auto interior in their boat, and said that greatly helped. I've tried fans, which help some if it's not overly humid, like with rain. I've also tried leaving windows or hatches open if there's no rain, and that also usually helps. At least in warmer weather. In the mean time, I just carry an extra shammy like material to wipe the boat down in the morning.... Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RK, What heater are you using? The Wallas usually dries things out very well. Also, what are you doing for ventilation? With the foreward hatch open about an inch, the foreward center window open about the same, and the side windows open an inch or two, there should be enough ventilation to keep things dry.

Other things that can add cabin: cooking inside; bringing wet clothes in (like if it is raining), using propane heat inside the cabin; or if there are cabin leaks.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have learned to leave the forward hatch cracked open, and a crack in side windows if not raining. We have a cover over the forward hatch, and opening front window, which can allow those to stay open even in the rain.

At a slip, we use a small "ceramic" electric heater--

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey sums it up perfectly. This is exactly what we do on our boat to a T. The Wallas stoves are expensive but they sure work well and we consider it to be one of the most important options to consider especially here in the Northwest with cold nights and high humidity. The Wallas do a great job in taking all that moisture from cooking and wet cloths and ventilate it out of the cabin.
If you do decide to buy a Wallas stove, just keep in mind that they do like to be run once a month for a short time to keep them running properly.
rock knocker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a wallas but i have not tried to fire it up yet considering my boat is a 2005 and only 100 hours on it im not sure how much the heater/stove has been used. The first night we used a buddy heater propane heater but thought that is how the moisture happened. Well we froze the next night with no heater and same thing happened. I guess i need to try and fire up the wallas.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the by-products of the Buddy heater is more humidity in the cabin. The Wallas expels that out as it heats. We often used an electric heater when shore power was available (also a "dry" type of heat).

Everyone who spends time on these small boats learns to deal with the humidity in the cabin - you have received some good real world experience with the tips here. Harvey's mention of cooking is easy to discount, until the first time you make spaghetti on the boat!

And, speaking of the Wallas (great match up with the C-Dory IMHO), be sure to start it and shut it down on "High". The Wallas wants a good voltage to start - some folks run their motor while starting the Wallas to make sure the battery is topped off. We also used an Ecco-Fan on the Wallas to better distribute heat in the cabin/v-berth.

Enjoy your new boat!
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good stuff. With shore power or stored with AC available I use a dehumidifier. In the humidity, everything and everything soaks up the moisture with folks on board or not. I also take out the cloth and fabric and install marine grade vinyl. Forget sheets.... sleeping bag or other fleece bag...but, these do not respond well around campfires on shore when a beverage enhanced toss of a bigger log lands and sends sparks flying in the air. Don't throw it away.... you can then use it to strain the shrimp boiling fluids from the shrimp! Once..then toss it...in the garbage, not in the bottom of that handy lazerette that you will not look in for a month.
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gone months without running my Wallas and it still works when I want it to. BUT I always run it on high for at least 15 min before adjusting the heat level, and again on high for 15 minutes before shutting it off. Then mention of starting and running the OB's before starting the Wallas is a good idea. The Wallas's do not like low voltages.

As to the Heater Buddy running the first night and not the second. Could be that everything soft absorbed way too much moisture. My boat would probably take 2 or 3 days of running heat to get everything dried out after a good soaking -- which it sounds like you got. As Jim said, a by product of burning propane is H2O. Not a good way to go if you are trying to stay warm.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
rock knocker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you thats a very good point! And thank you for all the advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: