The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

re core

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pelican1970

City/Region: Panama city beach
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: re core Reply with quote

Found a 25 cruiser 2004. Went into the deal with a soft cockpit. Survey found extensive hull core rot. Have a quote to completely strip and re core both cockpit and hull. Question is will that make it still resell able . The house and transom are solid. Any thoughts...
westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid at all costs, unless of course you love a challenge. Good luck with whatever you decide.
olsurfdog

City/Region: Carmel Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Summer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand you from this and your other post you got a deal on the boat and now have someone to repair it? Does the cost of the purchase and the repair come out to less than what you could buy a boat that was in good repair? If you can afford it and the repair is done well then you have a good boat to use. I can't see that a quality repair should effect the resale. A good job would probably be pretty much undetectable and would be as sound or even stronger than the original. If the total cost is more than a comparable boat in good condition you'll loose at least the difference at sale time.
Hopefully we'll get Dr Bob to respond here.
One further thought here. In your other post it sounds like the proposed repair is to be done from the outside ( boat upside down). My thinking is that from the inside would be easier with less of a finishing job but that is certainly debatable!

Because I was where I was
olsurfdog

City/Region: Carmel Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Summer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I just found another post you did (maybe too many on same subject?). From that post sounds like you're going to do the work. If you're handy and careful I'd say go for it. It's not rocket science. There are lots of tricks and techniques to learn but there's a wealth of info out there online. Books too.
I'd use epoxy rather than polyester resign. It will cost more but epoxy is a much better adhesive and the repair will be stronger. This is a debatable opinion! There are composite supply businesses online with help. Check out this guy on YouTube::

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC0kDqq-pSzdqFUk3oTaHBuA

Several people on this site have done extensive core replacement, a search should turn their posts. Be sure to learn the proper method to handle penetrations into core for fasteners so as not to have leaks ruin core in future.
CDorys need all of the deck fastenings be checked and corrected and any water intrusions repaired.

Because I was where I was
______
" da Black Coot" a working class bird
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olsurfdog gives great advice. The boat will be marketable--if properly done--probably better than most other boats of that vintage.

BUT--it depends on the price you get the boat for--and the cost for a commercial operation to do the repair. Also how good the repair is. If you live in Panama City, then I would expect all of the good fiberglass repair guys to be so busy, that it would be a long time before your project will get done.

What are the guys charging an hour? Going rate is over $100 an hour for many good shops. Are they using epoxy, vinyl ester or polyester? What core material are they using? Is the entire core going to be removed ?

I wonder about turning the boat upside down, removing the core, and then putting in new core/outer layers of glass: Reason I say that is because then they will have to put on a very thick layer of outer glass, vs the thin inner layer. They will then have to be sure the hull lines were exactly as before--and this will involve not only making templates, and perhaps a strong back inside the hull, but also extensive fairing on the outside. Bottom repairs can be properly made from the inside of the boat. The outer hull should still be fine after a simple repair of the hole.

The problem is getting to the inner hull of the boat from inside. There is the cockpit deck, the "grid" between the fuel tank and other compartments--which partially supports the cockpit deck.

Balsa is used because of its characteristics of compression and shear strength. If the boat is properly made, it is an excellent material. Where the problem comes, is if the hull (both inside and outside) are not thick enough laminates or there is any core penetration. When the boat is rebuilt--there should be no screws or other penetrations into the core. Any appendages should be "tabbed" into the bottom, rather than use of screws and brackets.

Epoxy is far better for a hull penetration repair--because of the superior chemical bonding. If after the hull breach was repaired--with epoxy--the relay of the interior could be safely done with polyester. If there was just a limited area of repair then the epoxy would be better.

To really give you an informed opinion we need to know exactly how much hull core is compromised? There are many stories of repair quotes being given, and then as the job progresses--the cost escalates because of "unseen" issues. I have seen jobs cost 3x as much as the estimate.

We need to know exactly what technique they are using to remove the bottom, support the hull, (including fuel tank, interior structures), etc. How are the bottom sections removed?--how is the adherence of the the core to the bottom guaranteed? (when done with the boat right side up--there is gravity--but vacuum bagging can be used--(with many other issues in a repair).

If the boat's bottom is fully accessible, then the core replacement is fairly straightforward. With the cockpit floor, and fuel tanks etc, then the 2004 25 C Dory repair is very complex--and I suspect very expensive. I would be reluctant to do it.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: 25 Cdory Reply with quote

Is that the Mass boat
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
pelican1970

City/Region: Panama city beach
C-Dory Year: 2004
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great replies. The cost of the boat is for all gear trailer etc. Is 7000. The fixed quote for the job is 25000. The boat is up north and the shop has done several major jobs like this one. I plan to travel there to meet the shop and go over the project. It is not tmass boat . I know the plan is to replace all balsa with composite materail. Just have a specific need for the 25. It will fit in my life slip. I do live in panama city beach. With the damage to the area marinas I am lucky to have a spot. The 25 fill all the needs full head economical and a great boat. Thanks again for all the advise.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure and ask all of the questions raised above. See examples of their work. Get references from people out of the immediate area. 25K is just the hull repair. You still have to buy an engine, rig, electronics Which adds another 15 to 20 K. So you will be into the project for an easy 50K. If done right, you should have a near new boat (depending on other structural and cosmetic issues). are there any soft places on the deck, cockpit floor (as there are in many of boats of this age).

Get very detailed contract--saying exactly what they will do, what specific materials they will use: including specific types of cloths, resins, and how the boat will be supported and put back together.

Good luck on the project.

Private message sent.
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
... You still have to buy an engine, rig, electronics Which adds another 15 to 20 K...

I'm budgeting double that for my 22, although my boat is completely stripped, except for steering, tanks, and handrails.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: